Nervous Breakdown 1L year Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ILJ

New

Nervous Breakdown 1L year

Post by ILJ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:08 pm

One month in, and I'm freaking out right now. I'm studying constantly. All my classmates seem smarter than me. I feel like having a nervous breakdown. I just feel so shitty and stupid, and I've never felt stupid in my life. For what it's worth, I have a full ride and my living expenses covered - so please don't tell me to drop out. Until now, I loved every minute of just learning all the time. But - I'm really starting to feel the pressure of grades and worried I won't do well. It's as if my mental attitude has changed. I really want to get good grades - I'm just having a really bad day and feel like no matter how hard I try there is still something I don't understand. I'm just hoping I can do this.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Re: Nervous Breakdown 1L year

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:15 pm

You need to take a step back and get some perspective. First of all just accept that you can't guarentee good grades and that is okay. Your life isn't over if you don't do well. Work hard and work smart and just let the chips fall where they may. You can't control what other people do you can only control you. Also get away from the law school and do things you enjoy with people you like whatever that is. You aren't dodging bullets in Syria or starving somewhere. Just control what you can control and try and be excited for what life brings you whatever that is.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:26 pm

ILJ wrote:One month in, and I'm freaking out right now. I'm studying constantly. All my classmates seem smarter than me. I feel like having a nervous breakdown. I just feel so shitty and stupid, and I've never felt stupid in my life. For what it's worth, I have a full ride and my living expenses covered - so please don't tell me to drop out. Until now, I loved every minute of just learning all the time. But - I'm really starting to feel the pressure of grades and worried I won't do well. It's as if my mental attitude has changed. I really want to get good grades - I'm just having a really bad day and feel like no matter how hard I try there is still something I don't understand. I'm just hoping I can do this.
Depending on what school it is dropping out might be the best thing for you.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 pm

ILJ wrote:One month in, and I'm freaking out right now. I'm studying constantly. All my classmates seem smarter than me. I feel like having a nervous breakdown. I just feel so shitty and stupid, and I've never felt stupid in my life. For what it's worth, I have a full ride and my living expenses covered - so please don't tell me to drop out. Until now, I loved every minute of just learning all the time. But - I'm really starting to feel the pressure of grades and worried I won't do well. It's as if my mental attitude has changed. I really want to get good grades - I'm just having a really bad day and feel like no matter how hard I try there is still something I don't understand. I'm just hoping I can do this.
Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't, but I tried to approach law school like a golfer. Two principles follow:

1) You're competing against the course, not other golfers.
The points here are A) you can only control what you do, and B) what works for other people doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa. Some folks crush the ball off the tee, other folks have a killer short game, other folks use those weird long putters. Just because Joe hit it 300 yards doesn't mean you should try to murder your drive if you tend to hook it. If that's not your game, don't imitate; just play your game.

So, if someone else is staying in the library all night and bragging about it, or answers questions in class, great for them. That's just their long putter; doesn't mean you have to use it. What's nice about approaching law school this way is that it helps you not be a weird introvert law student and instead lets you be happy for your friends and classmates when they have successes. If another pro makes an ace, everyone gets psyched.

You can't play the entire course at once; you can't even play an entire hole at once. You can only play the shot that you are standing over.
If you think too much about 1L grades, and then 2L grades, and jobs, and clerkships, you'll lose your mind because you don't have any control over those things right now. All you have control over is the tasks at hand today. Not only will you be happier if you just focus on the tasks at hand, but you'll find that the long-term things you want flow naturally from doing those well. If you do your best on each individual task, then you really can't have any regrets.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Keep in mind that your grade has nothing to do with how well you are doing at the moment or how much your classmates currently know. Your whole grade comes down to a 3-5 hour window in December. There's plenty of time for things to click.

Lots of ppl know the material but don't have a game plan for that 3-5 hour window, and I've watched lots of them underperform, even when they know the material cold. I've also seen people (and been one of them) who don't have a perfect grasp of the material, but performed well because they were focused on the exam from day one - your outline should be molded with the exam in mind, take practice exams to get a feel for writing and synthesizing your thoughts in such a small amount of time, and go over the prof's previous exams and model answers (if available) to get a feel for what you're up against and the format of the questions. Have a plan of attack for how much time you will spend outlining the answer vs. writing. Pay attention to whether or not your prof wants case names/citations in the answers. It seems obvious, but lots of people focus too much on reading cases and memorizing black letter law and too little doing the rest.

Also, Zuck has a point about what school you're at, so can you give us an idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ohioguy99

New

Post by ohioguy99 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:00 pm

1) There is plenty of time between now and exams.

2) How does everyone seem smarter? By their cold-call answers? I don't put any stock in cold-call answers. All it tells you is who might be more prepared that day. I'm a 1L and I was cold called for 45 minutes during a class on the second week. To put it mildly, It didn't go well. But I wouldn't think of myself as stupid. Simply unprepared. The reverse is true too. The people with great answers aren't necessarily smarter, just more prepared.

3) You probably need to find more balance in your life. I mean it sounds you're just staring at a book and not getting something and getting more and more worked up over it. Try to relax. Do something fun. Ask someone to help you understand something. It isn't worth getting freaked out in September.

4) See where you are in another month.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:05 pm

It's early yet. And yes, ALL your classmates are smarter than you. But that's collectively. Individually you're as smart as most of your classmates. And, of course, grades are assigned individually, not you vs the rest of the class.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't, but I tried to approach law school like a golfer. Two principles follow:

The points here are A) you can only control what you do, and B) what works for other people doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa. Some folks crush the ball off the tee, other folks have a killer short game, other folks use those weird long putters. Just because Joe hit it 300 yards doesn't mean you should try to murder your drive if you tend to hook it. If that's not your game, don't imitate; just play your game.

So, if someone else is staying in the library all night and bragging about it, or answers questions in class, great for them. That's just their long putter; doesn't mean you have to use it. What's nice about approaching law school this way is that it helps you not be a weird introvert law student and instead lets you be happy for your friends and classmates when they have successes. If another pro makes an ace, everyone gets psyched.

You can't play the entire course at once; you can't even play an entire hole at once. You can only play the shot that you are standing over.
If you think too much about 1L grades, and then 2L grades, and jobs, and clerkships, you'll lose your mind because you don't have any control over those things right now. All you have control over is the tasks at hand today. Not only will you be happier if you just focus on the tasks at hand, but you'll find that the long-term things you want flow naturally from doing those well. If you do your best on each individual task, then you really can't have any regrets.
This is a fantastic post.

OP it takes about 5 hours of studying right now to equal one hour of studying in November, so just relax.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:

I'm bookmarking this page just to be able to come back to this metaphor later. It's great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 pm

I think a lot of people have a moment like this during 1L. Maybe even unusual not to. Deep breaths are helpful: inhale, outhale. Also shot you a PM.

ILJ

New

Post by ILJ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Thank you everyone!! This is so helpful. Took a lil break, laughed, and now I'm ready to tackle more studying!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 pm

ILJ wrote:Thank you everyone!! This is so helpful. Took a lil break, laughed, and now I'm ready to tackle more studying!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Great! Don't forgot to take a real break from studying when you need one. I mean at least a few hours to do something fun: video games, football, beers, whatever you're into. Also would recommend taking one day off a week where you don't study at all.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:00 am

It's been well said above, but +1 on ignoring what everyone else is doing. There was a girl in my 1L class who appeared to have an active, detailed outline going on the entire time. But I know she didn't ace classes. There were peers with 60 page outlines crumpled from extreme use who I know did not score top of the class. There were know it all gunners in class whose focus on trivia unrelated to the final exam earned them nothing.

Stay confident. Affirm to yourself that you're going to dominate. Your peers are no better than you and are wasting time on frivolity. You're going to decide on a study plan and follow it through. You know, in the end, all that matters is acting the exam. Don't be shy about devoting hours to the basic question of how you should be studying. Nail that down firstn then apply your method. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:04 am

notgreat wrote:
ILJ wrote:Thank you everyone!! This is so helpful. Took a lil break, laughed, and now I'm ready to tackle more studying!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Great! Don't forgot to take a real break from studying when you need one. I mean at least a few hours to do something fun: video games, football, beers, whatever you're into. Also would recommend taking one day off a week where you don't study at all.
+1 on this. Avoid burn out. And here is a simple and amazingly effective tip - take naps when tired, and sleep until your body wants to get up. Good sleep will make you a far more efficient information absorbing machine. Don't be shy - eyes getting heavy, can't focus? Nap time.

You'll need the energy reserve for finals crunch time. Then, it's caffeine for the long haul, then sleeping aids to get rest despite your caffeinated state. Like I said, have a plan, follow it.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:00 am

Robb wrote:I think a lot of people have a moment like this during 1L. Maybe even unusual not to. Deep breaths are helpful: inhale, outhale. Also shot you a PM.
Absolutely true. I think everyone has at least one or two freakout moments. This stuff's intense. Just relax and make sure you understand the material. Don't focus on what others are doing, focus on your own comprehension and ability to write what you know well.

I know people who pulled multiple all-nighters before the exam and busted their ass all throughout the semester but bombed because they (a) didn't see the ball the professor was hiding; (b) studied the wrong things; (c) didn't make good use of their time; and (d) didn't have enough sleep to take the exam on and missed a bunch of stuff.

Take care of yourself first. Glad you're feeling better, and keep doing great work! But stop and think once in a while and make sure it's all working. :D

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:30 am

It's an adjustment and there is a lot of hype around LS, but you gotta try to not take it too too seriously. I went in not knowing if I even wanted to be a lawyer so didn't put much pressure on myself and I think that actually helped.

Try to engage with the material and get interested in it. IMO, a lot of the kids at the top of the class were ones that actually had an interest in the law. Whenever I hung w/ them, we would get into real debates (not just pissing contests) about law, politics, etc, and I could tell they probably actually enjoyed studying.

Also, there's not much you can really control. Work hard and let the chips fall where they will. Either way, you'll be ok :)

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:54 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
Robb wrote:I think a lot of people have a moment like this during 1L. Maybe even unusual not to. Deep breaths are helpful: inhale, outhale. Also shot you a PM.
Absolutely true. I think everyone has at least one or two freakout moments. This stuff's intense. Just relax and make sure you understand the material. Don't focus on what others are doing, focus on your own comprehension and ability to write what you know well.

I know people who pulled multiple all-nighters before the exam and busted their ass all throughout the semester but bombed because they (a) didn't see the ball the professor was hiding; (b) studied the wrong things; (c) didn't make good use of their time; and (d) didn't have enough sleep to take the exam on and missed a bunch of stuff.

Take care of yourself first. Glad you're feeling better, and keep doing great work! But stop and think once in a while and make sure it's all working. :D
It's the multiple all nighties obviously. You can't pull multiple all nighters and do well. Substantive law is only worth so much. Do e and e's. If you focus on the right things you'll never do poorly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 pm

PepperJack wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

It's the multiple all nighties obviously. You can't pull multiple all nighters and do well. Substantive law is only worth so much. Do e and e's. If you focus on the right things you'll never do poorly.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:05 pm

McAvoy wrote:
PepperJack wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

I looked at the poster and was wondering when you or mal would get in. TBF though, I do think he makes a good point.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 pm

why are you stressing about shit when you have no debt & rich parents are floating you. I know that's a logical response and you're dealing with an emotional circumstance.

as robb said, everyone freaks out during 1L. everyone ponders quitting, reaches some abyss of self confidence.

chill out and stop working yourself to death. go have a bourbon and call an old friend, or go see a live concert - black keys are touring their new album.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:23 pm

I usually go shoot some hoops and take a day to do nothing when I'm stressing out. Really helps to get away from it all every once in a while

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:29 pm

all you need to do until like thanksgiving is read for class

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 pm

OP, I can't add much more than what's already been said, but I'm also on a (nearly) full ride and am a fellow 1L. Worst case scenario, you do poorly and you emerge 3 years later with some specialized knowledge and a JD. Unless you were in a great career prior to law school that you can't go back to, you're basically back where you started. You have the freedom to pursue a different career path if you don't get a job or if you dislike law. That has been my approach and it has helped a good deal.

Also, +1 to people who said to take a day off from studying altogether. That's been huge for me so far.

Also, question to the more experienced people here. I keep hearing how the few weeks before and during exams keep you locked up studying around the clock...why? If you've kept up all year, proactively developed your outlines, etc., what is it that takes up so much time?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 pm

you can't really outline effectively throughout the year because you don't have a complete picture of the law. less of an issue in some classes but still, most people seem to find mass outlining/exam prep after thanksgiving to work best.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:Depending on what school it is dropping out might be the best thing for you.
A whole lot of this. OP, I really hope you're gunning for academia at a school where that's reasonable, because even if you put it together and get the grades you want, if you can't handle the "stress" of September of 1L, you're going to flame out absurdly fast in BigLaw where you have actual reasons to be stressed. Not to mention you sound like the prototypical "Why did I strike out at OCI?" poster.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”