Columbia Law students/grads (also UMich), I need your help

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
apples89

New

Columbia Law students/grads (also UMich), I need your help

Postby apples89 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:53 am

Anyone had Shaw for CivPro before? He's new here and some info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: he also spent some time at Michigan.

banjo

Silver

Re: Columbia Law students/grads (also UMich), I need your help

Postby banjo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Learn Glannon's E&E inside out and work through all of the problems. On the exam, write a TON, picking out every issue you can find, including little things like whether service was timely.

You NEED to know class actions, the federal statutes (transfer of venue, diversity jurisdiction, etc.), and all of the important federal rules. This is also one of the only law school exams where it might be worth having a few quotes from the cases on your outline.

legallion729

New

Postby legallion729 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:33 am

You will definitely be tested on personal jurisdiction. Learn it. Do lots of practice exams on it.

And try to have lunch with him. He's a great guy, albeit not the best professor.

apples89

New

Postby apples89 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:37 pm

banjo wrote:Learn Glannon's E&E inside out and work through all of the problems. On the exam, write a TON, picking out every issue you can find, including little things like whether service was timely.

You NEED to know class actions, the federal statutes (transfer of venue, diversity jurisdiction, etc.), and all of the important federal rules. This is also one of the only law school exams where it might be worth having a few quotes from the cases on your outline.

we did spend the first 2 weeks on due process so thanks for that heads up, also he said that we might not get to the class action stuff, but i'll glance over it just in case.

legallion729 wrote:You will definitely be tested on personal jurisdiction. Learn it. Do lots of practice exams on it.

And try to have lunch with him. He's a great guy, albeit not the best professor.

he hasn't been as approachable yet, and his lectures can get a bit lost, but he's definitely a good guy that's easy to talk to.

thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can figure this out by the end of the week.

also, anyone want to donate an outline for him? he's new and our syllabus is completely different so the upperclassmen here don't have those resources for me. much appreciated.

bobr

New

Postby bobr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:52 pm

apples89 wrote:
banjo wrote:Learn Glannon's E&E inside out and work through all of the problems. On the exam, write a TON, picking out every issue you can find, including little things like whether service was timely.

we did spend the first 2 weeks on due process so thanks for that heads up, also he said that we might not get to the class action stuff, but i'll glance over it just in case.

legallion729 wrote:You will definitely be tested on personal jurisdiction. Learn it. Do lots of practice exams on it.

he hasn't been as approachable yet, and his lectures can get a bit lost, but he's definitely a good guy that's easy to talk to.

thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can figure this out by the end of the week.

also, anyone want to donate an outline for him? he's new and our syllabus is completely different so the upperclassmen here don't have those resources for me. much appreciated.

I would only learn class actions if he teaches it (he did MAJOR catch-up for us the last 2 wks). He doesn't explain everything perfectly but he is genuinely a great prof & person. PM me your email and I'll forward you my outline. I got an A- but I chalk it up more to typing quickly than anything else.

apples89

New

Postby apples89 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 pm

wondering if anyone else has old materials.

I'd love to see one of his old exams, but unfortunately the exam bank here won't have them...unless he puts some in, but I doubt that for some reason.

tbh, I know i'm just a 1L, and it has only been 3ish weeks in, but i'm starting to stress on the whole outline thing and how to approach exams/learning the law in general. Feels like i'm not really learning yet, just reading and forgetting cases. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone for answering btw.

TTRansfer

Gold

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 am

Did you check outlinedepot to see if any were available?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�