1L Integrating Commercial Outlines into Daily Routine Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Statu$studios

New

1L Integrating Commercial Outlines into Daily Routine

Post by Statu$studios » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi everyone. If details are essential, I can go into it more of you ask later, but long story short--my daily routine has involved beginning my daily reading for a given class by consulting a commercial outline to get a general overview of some issues that I may encounter in my upcoming casebook reading.

It's been working wonderfully, and it is accomplishing exactly what I want it to--which is to point my brain in the right direction.

However, I've been noticing that even after sections are fully done-with and covered in class, there still remain points in the commercial outline this were left unaddressed.

The problem is, ironically perhaps, that the points addressed in the commercial outline often add extra information or legal doctrine that help clear up ambiguities or address slightly-divergent areas of the law that--after leaving class--I had the impression are meant to stay intentionally ambiguous or where there might be potential for "forks" in the law (borrowing "Getting to Maybe" terminology).

So, my question is, what should I do while updating my own outline? Further, should I trust that I will be given enough "tools"--if you will--to answer my exam questions effectively relying on only the issues brought forth from cases which I am assigned?

I hope I am stating that question clearly enough and it is relatable to similar internal discussions some of you had had at different points.

For background, if it helps, I'm finding success adopting a mix of the old xeo95 guy's famous post with limited tips from Law School Confidential and 1L of a Ride.

Also, I plan on attending office hours for some further clarity, but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly, idk) that a law professor has limited interest in discussing how to integrate his or her teaching to a supplement.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”