Ok to take both crim pro classes in one semester? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
timeandspace11

Silver

Ok to take both crim pro classes in one semester?

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 am

Has anyone one her taken both crim pro classes in one semester: prosecution/adjudication and investigation. I am already signed up for one and am thinking about signing up for the other. I know the classes can be a lot of work, but is it generally too much to handle in one semester, especially if I am taking Evidence as well? I am not afraid of hard work I just don't want to hurt myself grade-wise

MinEMorris

Bronze

Re: Ok to take both crim pro classes in one semester?

Post by MinEMorris » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:25 am

I just thought I'd point out that there might not be two crim pro classes at a lot of schools. I think there was crim pro and an "advanced crim pro" at my school, but I don't think advanced crim pro was regularly offered.

Even if it is split into two courses at other people's schools, I imagine the workload will vary by professor or school. Instead of asking here, I think your best bet is to contact other students at your school or the professor(s) teaching the crim pro classes. Evidence can be a pretty study-intensive substantive class, so if both of the crim pro courses are clinic-like, and you're worried about keeping up your grades, you might consider taking one instead of both.

Codicil

New

Post by Codicil » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 am

Take both - you'll be fine. I can't imagine why it would be more difficult to take Crim Pro I, Crim Pro II, and Evidence in one semester than it would be to take any other combination of BLL classes. The only potential negative I can see is that your semester may suck if you end up hating criminal procedure.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Codicil wrote:Take both - you'll be fine. I can't imagine why it would be more difficult to take Crim Pro I, Crim Pro II, and Evidence in one semester than it would be to take any other combination of BLL classes. The only potential negative I can see is that your semester may suck if you end up hating criminal procedure.
That is what I am leaning toward. Working at a PD office, I have loved the work, and I liked crim law, so I would be shocked if I hated it. The only thing that sucks is one of them is early in the morning, but I can handle that.

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm

I took both crimpros (but in different semesters), and I don't see any problem with taking them in the same semester. It might even be beneficial because some of the material overlaps (at least it does at my school: Sixth Amendment right to counsel was taught in both Crimpro I and Crimpro II). Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”