Am I right to be upset or is my superior right?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johnnyquest

Bronze

Re: Am I right to be upset or is my superior right?

Postby johnnyquest » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 pm

chipotle123 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Have you highlighted the text and clicked the eraser icon?

When you paste, do you write click and then see like five icons? One of those will do no formatting.

1) This is a highly entertaining thread, I thank you for sharing OP

2) nothingtosee, Awesome avatar. I'll never forget that face, ever. Both LSAC and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountatncy) use the same stock photo

http://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/

Good find. Who is this chick?

dresden doll

Platinum

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Okay, I'll be a little pro-OP. I detest formatting shit, and it does sound like this document is screwed up in a special way (although it shouldn't be, but this wouldn't be the first time someone experienced a really unusual formatting issue). Also, if this is the type of assignment he's getting all summer long, I completely get the frustration. Interns should have substantive work in addition to this kind of bullshit.

Also, if there's no substantive work involved whatsoever and it's purely a matter of copy/paste, maybe the dude should have passed it off to a legal assistant to begin with.

TooOld4This

Silver

Postby TooOld4This » Thu May 22, 2014 9:24 pm

1suckout wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:How fair is it to call out a dude for going to a TTT?

About 10% fair but when you've just been embarrassed and yelled at, you look for ways to make someone else look bad (and then you get embarrassed more on TLS).

No, it is 0% fair.

He didn't embarrass you, you did.

1. You demonstrated that you don't have basic skills that are reasonably expected of someone who is 22+ years old and has a professional job.

2. You demonstrated a lack the awareness of your own limitations.

3. You demonstrated a lack of problem solving skills in either quickly using google or asking for help.

4. You demonstrated a lack of judgment in not circling back and being proactive in saying you ran into difficulty.

This is real work and instead of doing it, you have added to the stress level of the person who assigned it to you. There are few things more frustrating then needing to put more effort into delegating a task than doing it yourself.

These mistakes happen and are generally quickly forgiven if the person owns up to it and fixes the issue. Given your rant here, I'm guessing the victim/entitlement mentality was readily apparent and you've dug yourself quite a hole. Good luck. I think you are going to need it.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Postby MinEMorris » Thu May 22, 2014 9:35 pm

To answer the OP, generally TCR in the legal community is that you're not supposed to give much attention to how you feel or whether your assignments are 'fair'. Your job is always just to try to get whatever you're given done right as quickly as possible. If people think you're not quick enough or don't do things right enough, then you're obviously in an unhappy position, but so long as you're honestly doing your best, it's out of your control. Sometimes it's unrealistic expectations from your superior, sometimes it's your incompetence, but it's not your job to make that call. Indeed, you're wasting your time, your client's time, and your superior's time if you're spending time trying to make that call and justify it. If you constantly feel unable to meet the demands of your superior, that's something for you both to consider. For him/her to consider whether to fire you, and for you to consider whether you'd like to quit or try to work under someone else. But until it hits that point, it's your job to try and make things as good as they can be without wasting time or energy assessing the justness of the assignment or expectations placed on you.

On an aside, is anyone aware of a relatively quick, general tutorial on word formatting? I haven't found myself quite in OP's position, but I've definitely wasted time and spun wheels trying to figure out something stupid like how to get index page numbers to auto update, and I hate having to take time out of a project to google around and find some tutorial for my specific problem.

1suckout

New

Postby 1suckout » Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:Okay, I'll be a little pro-OP. I detest formatting shit, and it does sound like this document is screwed up in a special way (although it shouldn't be, but this wouldn't be the first time someone experienced a really unusual formatting issue). Also, if this is the type of assignment he's getting all summer long, I completely get the frustration. Interns should have substantive work in addition to this kind of bullshit.

Also, if there's no substantive work involved whatsoever and it's purely a matter of copy/paste, maybe the dude should have passed it off to a legal assistant to begin with.

Yeah I think if I had thoroughly flopped on a legal question it would be a different picture. Getting mad at me for some unique copy/paste issues (that seem like they should be easy and are naturally frustrating), is something that, to me shows immaturity on his part which is why I was kinda like...dude really?
Last edited by 1suckout on Thu May 22, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipotle123

New

Postby chipotle123 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:49 pm

johnnyquest wrote:
chipotle123 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Have you highlighted the text and clicked the eraser icon?

When you paste, do you write click and then see like five icons? One of those will do no formatting.

1) This is a highly entertaining thread, I thank you for sharing OP

2) nothingtosee, Awesome avatar. I'll never forget that face, ever. Both LSAC and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountatncy) use the same stock photo

http://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/

Good find. Who is this chick?

Who knows. She is probably in the top ten in terms of recognizable people in the law school community though, she should capitalize on that

1suckout

New

Postby 1suckout » Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 pm

rayiner wrote:.

Someone had posted in another thread that you might be considering opening your own cleaning service. That sounds interesting; just thought I would say good luck and let me know if you want to talk about how to both (a) retain customers and (b) not make people mad.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 pm

dresden doll wrote:Okay, I'll be a little pro-OP. I detest formatting shit, and it does sound like this document is screwed up in a special way (although it shouldn't be, but this wouldn't be the first time someone experienced a really unusual formatting issue). Also, if this is the type of assignment he's getting all summer long, I completely get the frustration. Interns should have substantive work in addition to this kind of bullshit.

Well, to be fair, in OP's context, he apparently didn't know what he was doing and this turned out to be a learning tool for him. Knowing how to use slightly-above-basic functions of a word processor are important to an attorney.

1suckout

New

Postby 1suckout » Thu May 22, 2014 10:28 pm

DELG wrote:Word can be legitimately hard to work with

But guess what law is full of fucking fucks

Complain and you will be disappointed in the outcome

Most memorable quote from 2nd fav prof: "the worst think about being a lawyer is having to work with other lawyers."

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Thu May 22, 2014 11:57 pm

Why didn't you ask a secretary or legal assistant how to do it? They deal with this stuff all the time and probably know some trick to fix it in 5 minutes.

guano

Gold

Postby guano » Fri May 23, 2014 12:12 am

1suckout wrote:how much longer I should serve as a punching bag before I complain about him.

Until you're the client paying for the work to be done. If someone else is paying you, then suck it up, buttercup.

Pleasye

Platinum

Postby Pleasye » Fri May 23, 2014 12:16 am

Well OP, at least you've learned that transactional law is not your calling.

mushybrain

Bronze

Postby mushybrain » Sat May 24, 2014 12:14 am

kalvano wrote:Why didn't you ask a secretary or legal assistant how to do it? They deal with this stuff all the time and probably know some trick to fix it in 5 minutes.

Yeah, if your secretary thinks it's a weird deal then ask around. Or if you're at a big firm with a doc services dept, send to them. They'll fix it right up and do this shit all the time to documents that people destroy through copying and pasting absurdity. Worst case they redo it all overnight.

dudley12

Bronze

Postby dudley12 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:04 am

rayiner wrote:Being an expert in Word means knowing how to use hotkeys and macros and whatnot. Not ducking up formatting when moving things around is something you should've picked up somewhere during high school or college. Or you could've done a quick Google search before you fucked up the formatting of the entire document.

you should consider opening that cleaning service. I think it's a good fit for you.

truevines

Bronze

Postby truevines » Mon May 26, 2014 3:30 pm

1suckout wrote:
DELG wrote:Word can be legitimately hard to work with

But guess what law is full of fucking fucks

Complain and you will be disappointed in the outcome

Most memorable quote from 2nd fav prof: "the worst think about being a lawyer is having to work with other lawyers."

FYI, you're not a lawyer.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu May 29, 2014 8:34 am

QQ

Do the work that is asked of you. You're free to walk out of the door. See below.

rayiner wrote:So you messed up a simple task because you can't figure out MS Word, a program tons of non-college grads use proficiently, and are talking shit about where this guy went to school?

mountaintime

Bronze

Postby mountaintime » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

A little piece of real world advice: your boss is always right. You want to build a reputation for yourself as someone who gets shit done... So get this shit done.

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Thu May 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Did this guy get fired yet

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Postby Mr.Throwback » Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 pm

I have had the WORST problems with Word and their new formatting gimmicks.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

fnma2jd

Bronze

Postby fnma2jd » Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 pm

if you paste text into notepad, then copy it, then paste it back into word, it removes all formatting. then just format it how you want

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Fri May 30, 2014 9:13 pm

1suckout wrote:

Yeah I think if I had thoroughly flopped on a legal question it would be a different picture. Getting mad at me for some unique copy/paste issues (that seem like they should be easy and are naturally frustrating), is something that, to me shows immaturity on his part which is why I was kinda like...dude really?

Sounds like the maturity problem is with you... Just get it done and stop complaining.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Fri May 30, 2014 9:14 pm

fnma2jd wrote:if you paste text into notepad, then copy it, then paste it back into word, it removes all formatting. then just format it how you want

Is it really that hard for people to paste special, non-formatted text?

starrydreamz3

Silver

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:38 pm

alt+E+S, click down to "unformatted text", press enter

Herr Brun

New

Postby Herr Brun » Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 am

fnma2jd wrote:if you paste text into notepad, then copy it, then paste it back into word, it removes all formatting. then just format it how you want

Or just right click + either merge formatting or clean paste.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 pm

You realize you can change default paste mode to "unformatted text" (or other paste modes) in Word preferences, right? Jesus, OP, your undergrad institution robbed you blind if they handed you a degree without making sure you had basic Microsoft Office skills.
Alternatively, two seconds of Googling would have told you this.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�