If you are at school all day, what is your eating habit?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mosel

Re: If you are at school all day, what is your eating habit?

Postby Mosel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Yeah, but what is it? Pizza, soda, or snacky junk food? Who wants to eat that stuff 2-3x a week?

um...this is my dream!

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 pm

I take lunch to school most days. Leftovers or food I've specifically prepared. This may range from Chana Masala and rice to curried chicken, to soup. This helps me stay awake as well. White rice, chicken and veg on the side does not a happy and productive law student make.

Plus, it frees up money for Fried Chicken later! :lol:

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Alex84 wrote:This post is kind of ridiculous to me- your all 22 + years old. Heading into a profession bent on research. Is it really that hard to figure out what to eat that is healthy, how to pack it????

I've been teaching my students about the difference "your" and "you're." Perhaps I should also tell them about "you all are all" as well.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm

I know this probably sounds dumb, but have you guys found access to a fridge and a microwave on campus? That would be nice.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

mac.empress wrote:I take lunch to school most days. Leftovers or food I've specifically prepared. This may range from Chana Masala and rice to curried chicken, to soup. This helps me stay awake as well. White rice, chicken and veg on the side does not a happy and productive law student make.

Plus, it frees up money for Fried Chicken later! :lol:

can you pack my lunch for me?

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Corsair wrote:It varies. The school has a contract with a specific caterer for all school sponsored events on property, so the student groups pick from pre-set menus which vary in price. Here are the cheapest, most common menus:

Pizza. Flat, mass produced, super greasy. No one likes it, but it is the cheapest for the student groups in terms of bulk.

Sandwiches. Turkey, Ham, Tuna, and vegetarian on sub rolls, sliced into 2-3 inch long sections. Accompanied by chips or pretzels in individual bags.

Burritos. So tasty. Beef, chicken, or veggie. Oh god so tasty.

Hot dogs. HUGE beef hotdogs, with tofu dogs for the vegetarians.

Some of the nicer meals have included pasta + meatballs + salad + rolls, or rice + bulk stir fry Asian food type things. It varies on how much money the student groups have in their budget to spend. BLSA (Black Law Students Association, pronounced "balsa") always has the best food. Mmmm....

As for freeloading, some people did this a LOT at the start of the year, and someone from the Student Affairs office bitched everyone out via listserv email. But it is still common to go around after the seminars are mostly over and see what is left over. :)

I've gotta get to one of these seminars with the Burritos! I've never heard of that; it's ingenious. The Intellectual Property Lawyers of the Future bolstering their event with a plate of Chimichangas! Sensational!

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh, and this sounds weird, but I go to school generally from 8:00 am-6:00 pm and don't eat a thing. I have a big breakfast and that's it. I've just found that eating takes up too much time and makes me sleepy.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 pm

If you guys cook dinner, what do you usual make? It is difficult to make a healthy, wholesome dinner as a law student (lack of time and money).

I have found it to be extremely easy to eat healthy (and cheaply) as a law student; the key is to avoid your school's cafeteria at all costs, or even nearby eateries.

Breakfast should always be big and made at home: maybe a bowl of cereal, cottage cheese, coffee, glass of milk. Eggs and bacon. Stuff like that...never skimp on breakfast, it is a meal where you can safely eat huge amounts of food.

Always bag your lunch and keep it in the school fridge. It could be leftover dinner, sandwich, tuna and fruit, etc

Keep a bag of almonds with you at all times for instant, healthy snacking. Bring fruit with you to school for a nutrient-packed pick-me-up.

For dinner, cook. For yourself, with your SO, whatever. Cook healthy meats and veggies. Throw in brown rice. Maybe whole wheat pasta if you're feeling a carb crave.

At the end of the night, have a tall glass of milk, or snack on some celery w/peanut butter, or some cottage cheese, or an apple and slice of american cheese.

EDIT: By the way OP, cool thread. Beats the usual 'what study guide should i use for torts' I definitely think you can get some seriously healthy advice from this thread.
Last edited by SteelReserve on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Corsair wrote:NU doesn't have a cafeteria or anything. Depends on the day. Thursday and Friday I have short enough days that I can go home and make lunch for myself (generally cheap/simple things like cold cut sandwiches. I'm no cook.). On other days, I try to score free food at one of the numerous lectures/panel discussions during lunch break, or I'll pay 5-7 bucks at the little store in the school, or head a block over to Treasure Island (the nearest grocery store) in the Playboy building.

I've brought lunches occasionally, but very rarely since I don't trust my food will stay in the fridge safely. "Snack" wise, over the course of the day I generally buy 1-3 juices/diet cokes from the shop in the school.

Radical.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 pm

With my gf, I probably eat gourmet just about every day for dinner by cooking. I'm pretty fast, she's really slow. For lunch, I'll pack a pretty tasty sandwich or come with some other type of packed food. The main stickler with food in law school for me has been the lack of nearby dining options. At my prior schools, there were always nearby places to go to or at least dining halls! I've never heard of a law student going to a student cafeteria to eat. I find this very strange.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm a creature of habit. I'm on campus about 7:30-4 or 5 and eat breakfast & lunch there, dinner usually at home.

Bus ride to campus: cup of coffee
Breakfast: bagel w/cream cheese, cup of coffee
Morning Snack: candy from lexis/westlaw/kaplan table if available
Lunch: pizza or other lecture food. If no lectures that day (or none I want to go to) then grilled cheese/veg burger + veg soup (if available).
Afternoon snack: candy bar or Doritos
Dinner: (2-3 different things) rice & beans, pasta w/sauce & cheese, veggie soup, canned fruit, tuna sandwich, chopped liver, canned chicken soup, mac & cheese, veggie dumplings.
Dessert: pb&j or chocolate or cookies.

When I go home to visit my boyfriend he cooks me healthier things.

amann

Postby amann » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:47 pm

I really didn't read this entire thread but eating habits are what you make of them. I figure it's kind of like working a job with long hours (like myself). I eat a really big breakfast, snack throughout the day on carrots, bananas, apples, crackers, fruit snacks, etc. (basically anything that doesn't spoil so I don't have to keep getting up to go to the refrigerator) and then go to the gym for a little at night, so that by the time I finally get home I'm not really hungry enough to eat a dinner that has to be cooked. While I have yet to go to law school, this method seems to work best for me and everyone will have a different way of responding to their dietary needs.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I know this probably sounds dumb, but have you guys found access to a fridge and a microwave on campus? That would be nice.

Our law faculty is a world unto itself. We don't have our own fridge and microwaves but we get to use the lecturer's. Plus, I freeze my food so I don't have food safety issues to worry about. When it's thawed, it's microwave time! My lunch bag for school is http://www.amazon.com/Built-Gourmet-Getaway-French-Pattern/dp/B001FUBQXE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1266464864&sr=8-6.

jmaan wrote:
can you pack my lunch for me?

I cook on Sundays for school. Just be sure to send your order ahead of time!

sudoku

Postby sudoku » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 am

This thread really exploited two pages? This is my competition in law school?

Just kidding. I'm a foodie. I am actually just as curious.
Last edited by sudoku on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

This thread really exploited two pages? This is my competition in law school?

fml

You can mock the thread as much as you like, but frankly I think it was a good thread. You never know how much a healthy diet will impact your cognitive abilities. In my experience, a healthy diet has enabled me to study hard with high energy. More importantly, a healthy diet leads to a fit body, which leads to more ermmm...partners. More partners = more stress relief.

I found this thread to be original and far more unique than the 20,000 threads on which Contracts supplement is best.

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 am

Alex84 wrote:This post is kind of ridiculous to me- your all 22 + years old. Heading into a profession bent on research. Is it really that hard to figure out what to eat that is healthy, how to pack it????

Researchers come to prominence by asking questions or looking for answers. How is that not what's happening here??? .

You want to talk about absurd? Consider that students and working professionals are finding a way to "cram" life-sustaining nutrients into their busy day of paper-pushing.

angiejolie wrote:
vegetarian on sub rolls

i am glad there are veggie options.

i really figure it wont be too different for those of us who work full time. i usually bring an apple or an orange from home and then snack on some granola/cheerios, or half a pb&j or something like that. they dont have to be refrigerated, and they are quick and easy to snack on in the middle of the day.

then i go home and cook myself a nice full dinner. i plan on doing the same in law school.

+1

You need to be careful about those veggie options. Depending on your region, vegetarians may be a lifestyle that is not well-received or only recently gaining accepted - this seems especially true for rural areas. What this means is that there will only be 1-3 veggie meals for every 20-30 chicken/turkey/tuna meals. Many carnivores will opt for the veggie meal because it's "exotic" and that means a veggie is going to be rifling through prepackaged boxes for chips. If you have to RSVP, and the meals aren't going to have your name on them, then bring some dried fruit or almonds to be on the safe side.

To the OP: Nice thread. Seriously. I second the suggestion that students always have almonds and dried/fruit in supply. Visit a co-op, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for some organic snacking ideas. If you're a caffeine or nicotine junkie, now would be a good time to get that under control, because those dips can be perilous.

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:49 am

SteelReserve wrote:I found this thread to be original and far more unique than the 20,000 threads on which Contracts supplement is best.

+1

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:57 am

Honestly, I eat breakfast before I go to school, then I basically just go hungry until I get home (~6 o'clock or so) then eat a large dinner.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 am

heyguys wrote:Honestly, I eat breakfast before I go to school, then I basically just go hungry until I get home (~6 o'clock or so) then eat a large dinner.

I barely make it three hours without eating. No way I could do that.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 pm

mac.empress wrote:
heyguys wrote:Honestly, I eat breakfast before I go to school, then I basically just go hungry until I get home (~6 o'clock or so) then eat a large dinner.

I barely make it three hours without eating. No way I could do that.

I used to be the same way; last semester I ate a TON more than I do now. I've been trying this new system out this semester, and it works relatively well. I will usually be hungry from about noon to about 3, then my hunger will die until I'm walking home.

I exercise in the morning pretty early, so the big dinner serves to fuel that workout (i.e. I don't wake up hungry). But I generally work pretty well on an empty stomach, and honestly I do so little moving around during the day that I don't really feel guilty about not eating.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Honestly, I eat breakfast before I go to school, then I basically just go hungry until I get home (~6 o'clock or so) then eat a large dinner.

That's really interesting, I had a friend like that in college.

As for me, I'm the exact opposite. I do the eat-6-small meals per day thing. Three larger meals and three snack type meals of something like fruit, tuna, yogurt and almonds, etc. So it is possible to eat like I do in law school, for people who are so inclined. It's generally considered to be a very healthy way to eat and I recommend it.

Matlock31

Postby Matlock31 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Our Westlaw rep passed out some pretty legit Westlaw lunchboxes.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Corsair wrote:If I'm feeling particularly piggy, I'll make a box of mac and cheese, add a can of tuna, some hot sauce, jalapeño slices and bacon bits.

That's freakin sick man

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm

It has nothing to do with the recent movies. I'm old and I'm a nerd.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Corsair wrote: If I'm feeling particularly piggy, I'll make a box of mac and cheese, add a can of tuna, some hot sauce, jalapeño slices and bacon bits.

...are you pregnant?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”