CALI AWARD CERTIFICATE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jtx86

New

CALI AWARD CERTIFICATE

Post by jtx86 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm

So, I am thinking of having my cali certificate framed. I plan on practicing labor and employment law and the award is related to that field. Thoughts? Has anyone noticed if other people do this? Or should CALI awards just go in a line on your resume?

ph14

Gold

Re: CALI AWARD CERTIFICATE

Post by ph14 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:07 pm

jtx86 wrote:So, I am thinking of having my cali certificate framed. I plan on practicing labor and employment law and the award is related to that field. Thoughts? Has anyone noticed if other people do this? Or should CALI awards just go in a line on your resume?
Don't frame it and hang it up. Putting it on your resume sounds fine.

schweitziro

New

Post by schweitziro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 pm

You get an actual certificate? I've gotten a bunch of these and have never seen anything physically related.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:25 pm

You see clients at least once per month? You represent employees or small businesses? Do it. (Personally, mine are in a box in a closet. As far as I can recall, they look like they were printed at home with a word template.)

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 pm

I wouldn't do it. Nobody that is not a lawyer knows what they are. Most lawyers do not know what they are. Might as well hang em on mom's fridge.

Not trying to be a dick. but seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Going to a school that is shitty enough to award CALI awards is embarrassing.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 am

ggocat wrote:You see clients at least once per month? You represent employees or small businesses? Do it. (Personally, mine are in a box in a closet. As far as I can recall, they look like they were printed at home with a word template.)
That's basically why I'm contemplating putting it up. I'm hoping a client will see it and maybe we could strike up a conversation about it. I don't see why it would hurt to put it up.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:41 am

LOL at thinking at client would care about a CALI award (I had to read up to even find what this is)

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:47 am

What's a cali award.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

It's A Lion

Gold

Post by It's A Lion » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 am

What does California have to do with employment law?

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:11 am

A marketing gimmick from the "Computer Assisted Learning Institute" ?

As your perspective grows, so will your discretion.

For resume: Just indicate top grades. Good for you.

Do not perpetuate the marketing nonsense.
It shows naiveté.
The first rule of CALI, never talk about CALI.
Last edited by 2807 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:12 am

I don't think it's THAT far-fetched for a client to be sitting in your office and notice an award that says "for excellent achievement in the study of Worker's Rights." Obviously, a client will not know what a cali award is (apparently, even some law students don't know what one is), but the way the certificate is presented, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:14 am

jtx86 wrote:I don't think it's THAT far-fetched for a client to be sitting in your office and notice an award that says "for excellent achievement in the study of Worker's Rights." Obviously, a client will not know what a cali award is (apparently, even some law students don't know what one is), but the way the certificate is presented, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
The award is secondary to who actually awards it to you.
If your mom gives you the Medal of Valor it is just not the same.

Sure, you can frame it and try to fool people.

But at some point, you may have to explain who its from.
Then you look like a fool.

Also, classes are graded on a curve. Top grades can easily be given to the kid who failed the best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:21 am

2807 wrote:
jtx86 wrote:I don't think it's THAT far-fetched for a client to be sitting in your office and notice an award that says "for excellent achievement in the study of Worker's Rights." Obviously, a client will not know what a cali award is (apparently, even some law students don't know what one is), but the way the certificate is presented, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

I'm not sure I follow. I am not trying to fool anyone. I have seen other professionals (doctors, architects) with awards that they received while in school framed on their wall. I figured if someone receives a CALI award in a field where they intend to practice in, it might be a good idea to frame it. If anything, it will be a conversation piece.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:What's a cali award.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:33 am

jtx86 wrote:
2807 wrote:

I'm not sure I follow. I am not trying to fool anyone. I have seen other professionals (doctors, architects) with awards that they received while in school framed on their wall. I figured if someone receives a CALI award in a field where they intend to practice in, it might be a good idea to frame it. If anything, it will be a conversation piece.

The grantor of the award is the paramount consideration.
Who granted these doctors and architects the awards?
All else is commentary.
If you find value in the "Computer Assisted Learning Center" then you should frame it and tell people about it.

If that doctor framed an award from Dr. Pepper, he would look like a fool too.

And, remember, that award goes to a law student. That student-genius should step out into the real world of that field of law and talk to his worthy "peers" and he will quickly see how he knows NOTHING and his award is applesauce.

ok, edit** : I applaud the top grade and hard work. I really do. And put that on a resume for sure. But the "CALI" award is silly.
Too bad the school itself does not recognize the effort, that would be more credible.

Anyway, that's my .02

the end.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:39 am

2807 wrote:
jtx86 wrote:
2807 wrote:

The grantor of the award is the paramount consideration.
Who granted these doctors and architects the awards?
All else is commentary.
If you find value in the "Computer Assisted Learning Center" then you should frame it and tell people about it.

If that doctor framed an award from Dr. Pepper, he would look like a fool too.

And, remember, that award goes to a law student. That student-genius should step out into the real world of that field of law and talk to his worthy "peers" and he will quickly see how he knows NOTHING and his award is applesauce.

ok, edit** : I applaud the top grade and hard work. I really do. And put that on a resume for sure. But the "CALI" award is silly.
Too bad the school itself does not recognize the effort, that would be more credible.

Anyway, that's my .02

the end.
I see what you're saying. Here's my .02: I find ZERO value in "CALI." What I care about is what the CALI award represents. If and when I frame the award, it will be to represent to clients my personal devotion and commitment to a specific area of the law. Again, even though a client won't know what a CALI award is, they certainly can read "for excellent achievement in the study of Worker's Rights."

To briefly counter your argument: a top high school player from the U.S. or Canada is invited to the McDonald's All-American game. He is considered a McDonald's All-American. After the game, he is presented with a certificate from McDonald's recognizing his achievement. By your reasoning, because McDonald's is a fast-food chain, there is no value in a basketball award issued by them.

I guess I just don't understand why you're so hung up on WHO the grantor is rather than WHAT the award represents.

BTW: Although CALI gives out the award, its the professor that decides who the top student is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:30 am

You understand me just fine.
You just do not agree.
I can handle it buddy.

Good luck to you.
Go earn more CALI awards. I respect the effort.
Use that work ethic and effort to pass the bar, establish yourself in the real world, and earn valuable recognition from your peers, civic groups, government, and clients.

Those will adorn your walls with no explanation needed.

Looks like you are on your way. Keep it up.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 am

You wouldn't hang your transcript on your wall. All it is is something that says you got the highest A in your class. Big whoop. Other schools call them book awards, or jurisprudence awards. List it on your resume, but If I saw one in a peer's office I would think they were a douche. Be proud of it, tell your mom, she'll be proud and brag to her friends, but it's just another way of saying "I got an A!" On your wall. And if someone struck up a conversation about it, your response would amount to saying you did well in a class you liked. People don't do that - or at least, they don't put "Special Student Awards" on their wall. You asked, we told.

It's A Lion

Gold

Post by It's A Lion » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 am

OP personally meets with a lot of clients in his office. Seeing a bunch of framed certificates on the wall is apt to impress potential clients. No harm in doing it.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate the discourse. I think I'll frame it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Going to a school that is shitty enough to award CALI awards is embarrassing.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Do whatever you want. It's your award and your office.

Also, I don't think the grantor of an award is more important than the basis of the award. If Nickelodeon gave you an award for curing cancer, you still cured cancer.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:44 pm

jrf12886 wrote:Do whatever you want. It's your award and your office.

Also, I don't think the grantor of an award is more important than the basis of the award. If Nickelodeon gave you an award for curing cancer, you still cured cancer.
Spot the logical fallacy, go!

(hint: there is a nexus between the grantor of a CALI award and its perceived worth)

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:58 pm

jrf12886 wrote:Do whatever you want. It's your award and your office.

Just lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”