After Grades - What did we learn?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby como » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:43 pm

VincentChase wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:
VincentChase wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I learned that 3 As can be really great, until a C pops up. FML.


Bracing myself for the same.


I hope you don't have to experience it too. It's like dreaming you slept with Jennifer Aniston [insert your own dream bone] and waking up next to Snookers.


I'm sorry ... bit isn't it Snookie?


You must not watch..

VincentChase
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby VincentChase » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:44 pm

No, I've never seen it. But I'm aware of Snookie and "The Situation."

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I learned that 3 As can be really great, until a C pops up. FML.

Isn't 3 As averaged with a C still comfortably above median?

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby como » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:46 pm

VincentChase wrote:No, I've never seen it. But I'm aware of Snookie and "The Situation."


They oscillate between calling her snookers and snickers on the show. I think The Situation is pretty much the only guy who calls himself that.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I learned that the curve at my school is friendly enough that a 3.78 is the cutoff for top 10%.

jiminy christmas, thats freaking nuts. That basically means all the A's went to the same group of people.

Nietzsche_Addy
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I learned that 3 As can be really great, until a C pops up. FML.

Isn't 3 As averaged with a C still comfortably above median?


Yes. But above the median isn't what I was shooting for, and definitely not what I was expecting after 3 As.

VincentChase wrote:I'm sorry ... bit isn't it Snookie?


It's Snooookaaahs! Or Snickers. I want a little Snookers for a pet.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Snookie is so cute. Not in a sexual way, but I just want to eat her up.

The Situation might be the best nickname ever, 'cept he fucks up nearly every "situation".

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Bankhead wrote:Snookie is so cute. Not in a sexual way, but I just want to eat her up.

The Situation might be the best nickname ever, 'cept he fucks up nearly every "situation".

I hate Snookie, but I felt really bad for her when she got punched. I'm not sure why people find that so funny.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:10 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Snookie is so cute. Not in a sexual way, but I just want to eat her up.

The Situation might be the best nickname ever, 'cept he fucks up nearly every "situation".

I hate Snookie, but I felt really bad for her when she got punched. I'm not sure why people find that so funny.


I found it really disturbing -- especially since she's like 4'10 and completely harmlesss.

Nietzsche_Addy
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Bankhead wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Snookie is so cute. Not in a sexual way, but I just want to eat her up.

The Situation might be the best nickname ever, 'cept he fucks up nearly every "situation".

I hate Snookie, but I felt really bad for her when she got punched. I'm not sure why people find that so funny.


I found it really disturbing -- especially since she's like 4'10 and completely harmlesss.


Yeah, it is definitely never kosha for a man to hit a woman. But, anything goes on the showa! I can't believe I am on a message board talking about an MTV reality show, but I love it!

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I learned that 3 As can be really great, until a C pops up. FML.

Isn't 3 As averaged with a C still comfortably above median?


Agreed ... as a 3.50, this is still well above the median (even at a T14 with a B+ median). It's just the black-eye that comes with the C ... still a solid GPA though.

Although I didn't get hit with a C (in part b/c the school that I attend seemingly refuses to give any C's), I experienced something very similar. I also think that it will be easier to explain away one lower grade amongst a number of A's.

Nietzsche_Addy
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I learned that 3 As can be really great, until a C pops up. FML.

Isn't 3 As averaged with a C still comfortably above median?


Agreed ... as a 3.50, this is still well above the median (even at a T14 with a B+ median). It's just the black-eye that comes with the C ... still a solid GPA though.

Although I didn't get hit with a C (in part b/c the school that I attend seemingly refuses to give any C's), I experienced something very similar. I also think that it will be easier to explain away one lower grade amongst a number of A's.


I assume it will be easier to explain the C becuase of the As, but I don't want to have to explain a C! Oh well. I posted this in another thread and got some solid reassurance that I'm not totally boned. For now, I'm focusing on repeating the As and forgetting about the C.

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby kimber1028 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I assume it will be easier to explain the C becuase of the As, but I don't want to have to explain a C! Oh well. I posted this in another thread and got some solid reassurance that I'm not totally boned. For now, I'm focusing on repeating the As and forgetting about the C.


Was there anything different about the study methods you used for the C class v. the A classes? Did your notes look the same? Did you feel as comfortable with the material? Did you have a great teacher with a tough curve? If you can figure out why you got the C, you'll be able to truly hone your methods and ensure you get As from here on out.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 am

Still only have one grade. Anyway, regardless of how I end up doing, I think I should point out something I learned during the first semester. Trying to prepare for law school as a 0L is a waste of time. I did more preparation than I am proud to admit (no, I didn't read through an entire E&E, but I did more than just reading Getting to Maybe), and it was not helpful at all. Even if I end up getting a great GPA, I would not recommend anyone do even 5% of the preparation I did.

The only preparation I would recommend is learning about what a law school exam actually involves. Look at a couple sample exams and read a little bit about good answers, just so you know that what you're getting into is vastly different from college. This should only take a few minutes of your time, and that's it. Reading Getting to Maybe cover to cover isn't necessary - the detailed strategies in that book should be saved until you are actually starting to prepare for exams.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:10 am

I read two chapters of GTM a few weeks into the semester. That's the only prep I did. *shrug*

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 am

Cavalier wrote:Still only have one grade. Anyway, regardless of how I end up doing, I think I should point out something I learned during the first semester. Trying to prepare for law school as a 0L is a waste of time. I did more preparation than I am proud to admit (no, I didn't read through an entire E&E, but I did more than just reading Getting to Maybe), and it was not helpful at all. Even if I end up getting a great GPA, I would not recommend anyone do even 5% of the preparation I did.

The only preparation I would recommend is learning about what a law school exam actually involves. Look at a couple sample exams and read a little bit about good answers, just so you know that what you're getting into is vastly different from college. This should only take a few minutes of your time, and that's it. Reading Getting to Maybe cover to cover isn't necessary - the detailed strategies in that book should be saved until you are actually starting to prepare for exams.

TITCR.

dcz222
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:11 am

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby dcz222 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 am

Northwestern 1L:
Civ Pro: A
Contracts: A-
Torts: A-
Crim: B+
Legal writing: A-

GPA: 3.66 (60th percentile)

Knowing that 40% of my colleagues here got higher grades than me makes me feel pretty crappy about getting an A- average at this university.

Also, what's this about A's being hard to get when HALF of us have a 3.5 or above

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:21 am

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:26 am

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Still only have one grade. Anyway, regardless of how I end up doing, I think I should point out something I learned during the first semester. Trying to prepare for law school as a 0L is a waste of time. I did more preparation than I am proud to admit (no, I didn't read through an entire E&E, but I did more than just reading Getting to Maybe), and it was not helpful at all. Even if I end up getting a great GPA, I would not recommend anyone do even 5% of the preparation I did.

The only preparation I would recommend is learning about what a law school exam actually involves. Look at a couple sample exams and read a little bit about good answers, just so you know that what you're getting into is vastly different from college. This should only take a few minutes of your time, and that's it. Reading Getting to Maybe cover to cover isn't necessary - the detailed strategies in that book should be saved until you are actually starting to prepare for exams.

TITCR.


+1 except for GTM's "detailed strategies." That book can be summed up in about a paragraph.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am

dcz222 wrote:Northwestern 1L:
Civ Pro: A
Contracts: A-
Torts: A-
Crim: B+
Legal writing: A-

GPA: 3.66 (60th percentile)

Knowing that 40% of my colleagues here got higher grades than me makes me feel pretty crappy about getting an A- average at this university.

Also, what's this about A's being hard to get when HALF of us have a 3.5 or above


Curious, what makes you think that this is the 60th percentile? It seems to be that the 60th percentile is a little closer to a 3.50. Also, keep in mind that there may be some self-selection here. The only people willing to talk about their grades are often those that feel comfortable talking about them (i.e. having over a 3.50 GPA). Have you looked at the schools required curive. In a typical section of 62, the maximum # of A's (including A+'s, A's, and A-'s) that may be given is 35%, clearly not 50%.

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby BobSacamano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:+1 except for GTM's "detailed strategies." That book can be summed up in about a paragraph.

I can sum it up in one sentence: "Always discuss both sides of the issue and don't forget about policy." I didn't get anything else useful out of the book and I did just fine. I don't know why so many consider it to be such a godsend, but to each his own.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:42 pm

BobSacamano wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:+1 except for GTM's "detailed strategies." That book can be summed up in about a paragraph.

I can sum it up in one sentence: "Always discuss both sides of the issue and don't forget about policy." I didn't get anything else useful out of the book and I did just fine. I don't know why so many consider it to be such a godsend, but to each his own.


Because law exams don't come naturally to some people. Personally, I didn't need it (nor did I finish the book), but I have some friends who struggled hard this first semester, and I'll be loaning them the book.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:44 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:50 pm

needs to be revised
Last edited by apper123 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JRA and 8 guests