After Grades - What did we learn? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
neverborn

New

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Post by neverborn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm

sbrown83 wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:Hi all 1Ls! Curiously, what do you think of the "Law-in-a-Flash" flashcards? I'm not going to look at them this summer or anything (I'm not that bad), but thought they might come in handy next year, and I have the opportunity to purchase 11 sets on Craigslist for $75 (all 1L courses plus some). Worth it or not? Thanks for any feedback!!!
100% useless.
wrong

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:54 pm

neverborn wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:Hi all 1Ls! Curiously, what do you think of the "Law-in-a-Flash" flashcards? I'm not going to look at them this summer or anything (I'm not that bad), but thought they might come in handy next year, and I have the opportunity to purchase 11 sets on Craigslist for $75 (all 1L courses plus some). Worth it or not? Thanks for any feedback!!!
100% useless.
wrong
it probably depends largely on your prof/textbook. i used them last semester for a couple classes, and found that they didn't overlap all very well at all with what i needed to know. to be fair, it might be perfect for some profs/books.

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 pm

obvs con law would be a poor choice

but classes that steer closer to memorization and bright line rules such as civ pro, torts, maybe property they would be more useful for.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Thank you! Just to update, I bought them--I couldn't say no to that deal if they were at least marginally useful. The seller was nice enough to give me all of her notes/outlines/BarBri materials, too, so I definitely got my money's worth! Thanks for all of the information--this forum has been an incredibly valuable resource!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

neverborn wrote:"PLS study group forming. email massivetool@gmail.com for details"
Hilarious!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Atticus Falcon, Esq.

New

Post by Atticus Falcon, Esq. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:49 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
neverborn wrote:"PLS study group forming. email massivetool@gmail.com for details"
Hilarious!
I'm not quite sure why that's considered hilarious. I find that students learn best when they participate in cooperative study groups prior to their 1L year. In fact, I may join so that I am able to facilitate if any questions arise.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am

Atticus Falcon, Esq. wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
Hilarious!
I'm not quite sure why that's considered hilarious. I find that students learn best when they participate in cooperative study groups prior to their 1L year. In fact, I may join so that I am able to facilitate if any questions arise.
And you, my friend, need to read that post a little more closely.

Atticus Falcon, Esq.

New

Post by Atticus Falcon, Esq. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 am

waytofailself wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
Hilarious!
And you, my friend, need to read that post a little more closely.
Ah, I see. You're all laughing at the fact that his email address is massivetool@gmail.com. I, of course, just assumed that was because he was using his brain as a massive tool to gather all of the information he would need in law school. I suppose I'm a generation behind in slang terminology.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:04 am

SteelReserve wrote:
Hilarious!
Is this the Atticus Falcon?

If so, I have a couple of questions.

Why are you so bitter? I've read some of your analysis on hypos before, and to be fair, they're not very good. Maybe you just don't have a knack for these things. Is pandering to an overly-stressed 0L group less scuzzy then actually practicing? Do you really think law schools hide the ball as much as you think they do?

Prove to me that you're not just a snake oil salesman.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Law schools dont hide the ball at all, that is probably the dumbest comment that I see frequently on this site.

Atticus Falcon, Esq.

New

Post by Atticus Falcon, Esq. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:50 pm

PKSebben wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
Hilarious!

Why are you so bitter? I've read some of your analysis on hypos before, and to be fair, they're not very good. Maybe you just don't have a knack for these things. Is pandering to an overly-stressed 0L group less scuzzy then actually practicing? Do you really think law schools hide the ball as much as you think they do?

I do not claim to be the esteemed author Atticus Falcon, Esquire, nor do I wish to impersonate him in any capacity. I am simply a fan who wishes to recognize his greatness.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:45 am

How badly you've been led astray, little one.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:33 am

PKSebben wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
Hilarious!

The future prof. strikes. (although I do agree with you, the book over-hypes this "hide the ball" bullshit and I have yet to see it, save for maybe bullshit torts.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:Law schools dont hide the ball at all, that is probably the dumbest comment that I see frequently on this site.
I concur.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:Law schools dont hide the ball at all, that is probably the dumbest comment that I see frequently on this site.
I disagree. Some hiding of the ball occurs -- sometimes intentional, sometimes not.

I had a class where the actual exam (some weird fucked up policy / statutory construction deal) was so unlike the practice test (an issue spotter that he graded and gave back to us) that I laughed out loud when I read the questions.

I have had other classes that didn't have on file and the professor refused to release them. Hiding the ball is about the lack of transparency. I believe some professors do it on purpose to allow more stratification for the curve.

That said, I think great strides have been made by professors (maybe an anti-Kingsfield movement?) to be exceptionally transparent. And I appreciate it. :)

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:17 pm

--
Last edited by steve_nash on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 pm

steve_nash wrote:I did MUCH better spring semester than fall semester. While I made top 10% in the fall (with 2 As, 1 A-, and 2 B+s), this semester, I made 4 As, and 1 B+, and two grades were the highest in the class. I am at a top 20 school.

Why I think I did better:

I studied my class notes much more--first semester, I didn't examine my notes that much, thinking I could learn what I needed from supplements. The good notes I took first semester in the end weren't worth much, because I didn't look at them. This semester, I barely touched supplements, only going to them when I didn't understand a concept. It cut down on study time a lot, as last semester, I would do the reading plus supplements (in addition to going to class). In a couple classes, I know that I picked up a few precious points because of idiosyncrasies that the professor emphasized.

I studied smarter. Last semester, I barely finished my outlines before finals. This semester, I made sure to have them done several weeks before finals (except for what was left in the class). In every class except for the one where I got the B+, I studied the professor's exams--I didn't just take them, I looked for patterns and analyzed model answers. With the B+ class (con law), I just didn't like the class that much, so unfortunately, I slacked in it, and it shows.
I also think I grasped the whole law school exam better.

I didn't kill myself this semester--slept 8 hours most nights, no adderall, took some time off (though not much)--but I did work very hard.

What I did not do:

Learn the class from supplements. Miss class. Do CALI. Not do readings.
Just to reiterate:
You did not do Cali right? Or did you mean "Do Cali"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Just to reiterate:
I did not do CALI.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 pm

topsome wrote:
steve_nash wrote:I did MUCH better spring semester than fall semester. While I made top 10% in the fall (with 2 As, 1 A-, and 2 B+s), this semester, I made 4 As, and 1 B+, and two grades were the highest in the class. I am at a top 20 school.

Why I think I did better:

I studied my class notes much more--first semester, I didn't examine my notes that much, thinking I could learn what I needed from supplements. The good notes I took first semester in the end weren't worth much, because I didn't look at them. This semester, I barely touched supplements, only going to them when I didn't understand a concept. It cut down on study time a lot, as last semester, I would do the reading plus supplements (in addition to going to class). In a couple classes, I know that I picked up a few precious points because of idiosyncrasies that the professor emphasized.

I studied smarter. Last semester, I barely finished my outlines before finals. This semester, I made sure to have them done several weeks before finals (except for what was left in the class). In every class except for the one where I got the B+, I studied the professor's exams--I didn't just take them, I looked for patterns and analyzed model answers. With the B+ class (con law), I just didn't like the class that much, so unfortunately, I slacked in it, and it shows.
I also think I grasped the whole law school exam better.

I didn't kill myself this semester--slept 8 hours most nights, no adderall, took some time off (though not much)--but I did work very hard.

What I did not do:

Learn the class from supplements. Miss class. Do CALI. Not do readings.
Just to reiterate:
looks like SOMEone isn't getting A's in law school

jkjkjkjk
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Question: how important is correct punctuation, capitalization, etc. on a LS exam? Obviously I will do both as much as I can but what impact would typos have on your grades?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:44 pm

I see lots of people here and elsewhere swearing by (and sometimes at) one supplement or another.

My question: is it ever really necessary to read, say, both E&E and a hornbook for a given class, as has occasionally been implied?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:49 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:I see lots of people here and elsewhere swearing by (and sometimes at) one supplement or another.

My question: is it ever really necessary to read, say, both E&E and a hornbook for a given class, as has occasionally been implied?
No. Honestly. Attend class + do reading + take good class notes + consult relevant supplement occasionally + condense notes + not freak out = success. It isn't some secret formula.
Good... because I'm going to let my dog Duke sell it. :D

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:00 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:I see lots of people here and elsewhere swearing by (and sometimes at) one supplement or another.

No. Honestly. Attend class + do reading + take good class notes + consult relevant supplement occasionally + condense notes + not freak out = success. It isn't some secret formula.
TITCR. I actually believe I did better because I stopped relying on the supplements.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”