After Grades - What did we learn? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
steve_nash

Bronze

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Post by steve_nash » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:56 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 pm

I will report more stuff then.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:47 pm

I haven't gotten grades yet, so maybe I have no idea what I'm doing it, but it seems like the value of supplements depends a lot on the class. If the professors assign cases that do a nice job of demonstrating the rules, supplements aren't really necessary except for the really complex topics. On the other hand, in my crim class, the professor just talks about whatever he thinks is interesting, so the only way I'm learning the basic rules is by reading the supplement (which he wrote, incidentally).

Anyway, hopefully I can post here with good advice instead of feeling sorry for myself for failing at [strike]life[/strike] law school. Time will tell...

VincentChase

New

Post by VincentChase » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:56 am

Cavalier wrote:I haven't gotten grades yet, so maybe I have no idea what I'm doing it, but it seems like the value of supplements depends a lot on the class. If the professors assign cases that do a nice job of demonstrating the rules, supplements aren't really necessary except for the really complex topics. On the other hand, in my crim class, the professor just talks about whatever he thinks is interesting, so the only way I'm learning the basic rules is by reading the supplement (which he wrote, incidentally).

Anyway, hopefully I can post here with good advice instead of feeling sorry for myself for failing at [strike]life[/strike] law school. Time will tell...
As someone who does have one set of grades under his belt, here's the best advice I can give: That stuff the professor thinks is interesting, ridiculous as it may seem to you, learn that. Whether you like it or not, whether E&E is adequate on the topic or not, you will be tested on it. Although at least he did write the supplement. But keep in mind that he's writing for a general audience and probably recognizes that other professors will cover other material.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:45 am

I'm definitely focusing on what my professor does. He's in love with the Model Penal Code (I think he may have even been involved in its writing), and always tells us "here's how the Model Penal Code deals with this, and here's why it's better..." so I should focus my efforts on the Code instead of the common law.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 am

I read one prof's articles a month or two ago, and last week she decides to have a policy discussion about precisely that topic. Several past exams have precisely that topic. The topic, incidentally, doesn't appear in E&Es or anything. it's a pretty cutting edge issue and is actually very important, but neglected, in the body politic.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

i was just browsing through this for feedback on supplements... but how's about a bump?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:47 am

SecondTimeAround wrote:How did you manage to type 7,000 words? In four hours? That's amazing.
tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:54 am

Snooker wrote:Profs have pointed out that whenever they cold call me they know I know all of the law inside and out... But I am not preparing for class, I am preparing for the exam.
Professors love my fuckin comments in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:51 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 am

thesealocust wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Professors love my fuckin comments in class.
And if they don't?
Fuckin' Pricks!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:00 am

Cavalier wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Professors love my fuckin comments in class.
And if they don't?
Fuckin' Pricks!
ITT: UVA 1L's help perpetuate stereotypes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:09 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyv416

New

Post by johnnyv416 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:00 pm

I am at a T4 School, i got old outlines early in the semester, and followed them during class and made the necessary edits. Used online/canned briefs and Glannon for Civ Pro, got A- or better in all the substantive courses and a B- in Legal Writing, which i put the most work into.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:29 pm

TTT-LS wrote:YEAH I READ E&E'S. I READ THAT SHIT FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNAH.
TEA TIME!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Legal Writing: A-
Spent a lot of time on my memo. Probably over 150 hours total. Took comments my professor made on my draft very seriously. Thought through my questions before meeting in office hours. I was able to extract one very useful suggestion from my professor (not to rebut an counter argument and just concede it, leaving balancing to the end)
Criminal Law: A
Used the book Learning Criminal Law Through Advocacy Argument, by John Delaney (who happened to have been the mentor of my criminal law professor). Also used Understanding Criminal Law but relatively sparingly. I did not outline for this class, only wrote out the elements and recorded them to my Iphone.
Contracts I: A
Total surprise. I hated the professor even though she was an excellent teacher. I wrote a short 11 page outline.
Property: B
This is the only one that surprised me. I thought that if I'd get an A it would be this class. I guess I was wrong. For this class I used Understanding Property rather heavily and wrote a 17 page outline and recorded it to my Iphone.
Civ Pro I: B+

I briefed almost every case for all of my classes. No study group.

Worked out 5+ times a week during the entire semester including finals (CrossFit)

Current GPA: 3.578

1L curve is 2.9
Last edited by Danteshek on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Last edited by stjaba on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 pm

would it be kosher for any UVA student to post grades since they all seem to know each other IRL

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:
legends159 wrote:would it be kosher for any UVA student to post grades since they all seem to know each other IRL
Unfortunately, it would be pretty weird and I doubt it will happen. Not sure if there is a good solution to that problem :-/
Agreed. If I were to post something, it would have to be anonymous.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Cavalier wrote: Agreed. If I were to post something, it would have to be anonymous.
Maybe a mod can answer (or has already answered) this: if someone were to start an anon grade thread in the Employment Forum, would it get locked/deleted or would posters be outed for Anon function misuse? I don't have any grades yet, and I don't even know if I'll want to discuss them, but if I do, I might want to do something like that. But obviously I wouldn't if it got me outed.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm

I learned that I can be a high-functioning alcoholic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”