After Grades - What did we learn? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 am

Kohinoor wrote:Anything at all done before law school, useless. LEEWS useless.
FTFY.

chompchain

New

Post by chompchain » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 am

some of my grades have come in and I realized that getting grades is worse than waiting for them.

Anyone wanna wallow in self-pity with me...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 am

chompchain wrote:some of my grades have come in and I realized that getting grades is worse than waiting for them.

Anyone wanna wallow in self-pity with me...
Sure, I'll join you in pitying myself.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 am

thesealocust wrote:That waiting for grades to trickle in is the most painful imaginable experience. Holy Jesus Mary and Joseph. We mention it in the 'waiting for grades' thread, but 0Ls probably won't see it. So I'm bitching here too.

Waiting for grades = ferociously painful.
This. And the experience of getting them only one at a time really adds to it. You see that first grade, and all of a sudden you try to figure out fifteen different ways to magically coax the future from it, decide whether your other grades will be the same, where that would put you if they are...

Then you reach for the bottle of MD 20/20 and begin to killself in the slowest way possible.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 am

I honestly feel pretty much like I have no control over my grades, so why worry? I put in my effort, which is all I could really do. When grades come back, I will review my test and answer the following questions: a) Is there a better way to study than what I was doing?; b) Is there a better way to write an exam than what I did? Then, I will make any necessary adjustments.

No reason to worry quite yet, folks.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 am

Anyone see a link between word count and grades?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 am

Kohinoor wrote:Anyone see a link between word count and grades?
Last edited by Dick Whitman on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:22 am

^ What was the time on your other exams?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
2192 = A [two hour exam -- 2/3 of grade]
3378 = A+
3096 = A
4141 = A
2046 = B [two hour exam]
[One missing]
That's not really a meaningful comparison anyway; it would only really be valuable if you could compare word counts between students (and that would require students in the same class posting grades... not gonna happen)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 am

GeePee wrote:That's not really a meaningful comparison anyway; it would only really be valuable if you could compare word counts between students (and that would require students in the same class posting grades... not gonna happen)
This is what I was thinking. The schools that are heavily represented here have all threatened to kill each other if anyone starts revealing grades, so there's no way to benchmark anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BattlingBarrister

New

Post by BattlingBarrister » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:35 am

They should make gimmick accounts and then proceed to trash each other anonymously.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 am

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 am

Corsair wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
GeePee wrote:That's not really a meaningful comparison anyway; it would only really be valuable if you could compare word counts between students (and that would require students in the same class posting grades... not gonna happen)
This is what I was thinking. The schools that are heavily represented here have all threatened to kill each other if anyone starts revealing grades, so there's no way to benchmark anything.
And you'll find that even if there are only say, 10 regular posters from a school's 2012 class on TLS, anything juicy that gets posted will make the rounds on gchat pretty much immediately.

Trust me. :)
Antitrust = Corsair marked

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:16 am

Also, it turns out that never going to class OR doing the reading is a poor strategy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 am

Kohinoor wrote:Should have punched her in the face then claimed it was a twitch response to her running up on you in the club.
I really, really should have.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:12 am

Holy shit, I'm just staring at your 'tar. I cannot stop.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 am

mallard wrote:Holy shit, I'm just staring at your 'tar. I cannot stop.
Ain't it great!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 am

apper123 wrote:
Objection wrote:
como wrote:
Or just click on "profile".
Having my school in my profile wouldn't warrant his response to my post since, you know, he would have had to actively seek out where I go to school.
I was actually making a subtle joke to back up the point you made in your post and help you. Too bad you blew my help away.
Sorry :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
3378 = A+
3096 = A
4141 = A
2046 = B [two hour exam]
[One missing]

I gleaned from the previous posts on this thread that I shouldn't be allowed to post here since I don't have grades, but I just wanted to say that Dick Whitman has some ridiculously baller grades--congrats man!

Also, one question I have that is of interest: for those of you who have gotten your grades back, how arbitrary do you feel the grading process has been? I think almost in terms of the LSAT in the 170s--minute distinctions (such as the difference between one question being answered correctly) can have huge impacts (say, the difference between a B and a B+), but the difference just seems so minute...is this the case, or did you guys feel that the process was less arbitrary than those on the outside looking in would imagine?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

heyguys wrote:
Dick Whitman wrote:
3378 = A+
3096 = A
4141 = A
2046 = B [two hour exam]
[One missing]

I gleaned from the previous posts on this thread that I shouldn't be allowed to post here since I don't have grades, but I just wanted to say that Dick Whitman has some ridiculously baller grades--congrats man!

Also, one question I have that is of interest: for those of you who have gotten your grades back, how arbitrary do you feel the grading process has been? I think almost in terms of the LSAT in the 170s--minute distinctions (such as the difference between one question being answered correctly) can have huge impacts (say, the difference between a B and a B+), but the difference just seems so minute...is this the case, or did you guys feel that the process was less arbitrary than those on the outside looking in would imagine?
I haven't reviewed my exams with profs yet, so I'm not sure, but I did get to take a look at the #s behind our letter grades in my Torts class. Relating to minute distinctions, it was pretty apparent I missed the A cutoff (receiving an A- instead) by only a little bit. One extra MC correct answer or one extra minor issue spotted and explored on an essay might have put me over the top.

As far as how arbitrary? I think it depends on the exam. All 3 of my exams had major essays which were policy questions. Only one of them really asked you to mix the application of BLL in. The others wanted your opinion on a matter (there was no right or wrong answer), and that's basically all they asked for. I think these questions are where a lot of arbitrary decision making comes in and the point differences coming out of these essays can make or break an A to A-, or A- to B+, etc. It's all about how well you know your professor and the policy issues underlying your course.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 am

I did ... but it's limited to a sample of maybe 10-15 people out of a 60 person section. For 2 classes, short answers appeared to have received considerably higher marks than longer answers. Alternatively, for another class, those who wrote considerably longer answers seemed to do significantly better.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”