After Grades - What did we learn? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
apper123

Silver

Re: After Grades - What did we learn?

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I can't study outside the library. To each his own.

I also have really serious problems with paying attention and focus. Literally anything can distract me.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 pm

apper123 wrote:I can't study outside the library. To each his own.

I also have really serious problems with paying attention and focus. Literally anything can distract me.
yeah...in that case South Beach is prolly not a good idea

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:33 pm

apper123 wrote:I can't study outside the library. To each his own.

+1
I love the library.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Yeah, fuck the library. I use the computers there to print, but that's about it. That's just not an environment I can thrive in.
TITCR. I think I missed out on a little library socialization, but I made up for it in spades by avoiding all of the library paranoia/stress, especially come finals time.
and the dirty looks and passive aggressive ahems you get for any slight movement. I study in my apartment.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 pm

My school seems fond of the library ONLY during finals, so I studied there all semester and then stopped going during finals when it became too stressful. I also find that hating the library and not wanting to be there is motivation to get stuff done so I can go home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm

samiseaborn wrote:My school seems fond of the library ONLY during finals, so I studied there all semester and then stopped going during finals when it became too stressful. I also find that hating the library and not wanting to be there is motivation to get stuff done so I can go home.
Credited.

I actually shifted to the undergrad library for some time during finals. Undergrads are a lot more relaxed.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 pm

In the morning I study from 6:30 to 10 a.m. in the student lounge and then between classes i got to the library. Once school is over I do not step in the library at all. I do not use study groups either. I am loner when it comes to studying

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm

I think i did over 95% of my total studying in the library. I live very close to school, approx 5 min walk, and my theory was to treat my house like a sanctuary away from law school. So I would do all my work at school and then when I got home I would relax and try not to think about school. The exceptions to this were my civ pro final and some early morning briefing sessions.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 pm

JPU wrote:I think i did over 95% of my total studying in the library. I live very close to school, approx 5 min walk, and my theory was to treat my house like a sanctuary away from law school. So I would do all my work at school and then when I got home I would relax and try not to think about school. The exceptions to this were my civ pro final and some early morning briefing sessions.
I did the exact same thing. It is a great feeling to get home and know that nothing law school related is going on inside. The sanctuary method also ensures maximum productivity, because I know that when I leave that's all the studying that I'm going to be doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm

i only study in the library. But not at the big tables shared with other people, but in the individual desks. I didn't really notice the stress that everyone is talking about before finals. Sure there are more people in the library and they're all working hard but I'd hardly call that a stressful environment.

During finals there was actually a lot of free snacks and coffee. I loved being there just for the snacks.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I learned there ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees, I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, there ain't nothing in this world for free. I know I can't slow down, I can't hold back though you know I wish I could, oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

apper123 wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:My school seems fond of the library ONLY during finals, so I studied there all semester and then stopped going during finals when it became too stressful. I also find that hating the library and not wanting to be there is motivation to get stuff done so I can go home.
Credited.

I actually shifted to the undergrad library for some time during finals. Undergrads are a lot more relaxed.
Undergrad library is a win

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm

I, too, only use the library between classes. I was staying for a few hours after class every day at the beginning of the semester, but then I realized that I prefer eating snacks and watching TV after class and keeping my work for the nighttime. Plus our library's chairs are really uncomfortable.

I'll echo the poster who said he did nothing this weekend. I haven't lifted a finger. Then again, I procrastinated all last semester and it worked out alright for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

apper123 wrote:We are one week into the semester. Everyone with subpar grades (with the exception of my roommate who is upset that he 'merely' finished top 10 %) has vowed to work "harder" and "longer." The library has been insanely full for the first week with people pulling ridiculous hours. I haven't a freaking clue what they are doing one week in, but I'd sure like to know. Rereading the 2 cases we covered in con law over and over? I just sat on my ass all weekend and did nothing.
WIN! +1

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 pm

mac.empress wrote:
apper123 wrote:We are one week into the semester. Everyone with subpar grades (with the exception of my roommate who is upset that he 'merely' finished top 10 %) has vowed to work "harder" and "longer." The library has been insanely full for the first week with people pulling ridiculous hours. I haven't a freaking clue what they are doing one week in, but I'd sure like to know. Rereading the 2 cases we covered in con law over and over? I just sat on my ass all weekend and did nothing.
WIN! +1
So that's why the library seems more busy than usual - the first two weeks of first semester, it was like a ghost town. The first week of this semester - it's like finals never really ended. I don't understand. I just sat at home and watched the 24 premiere while contemplating my LRW assignment, did case readings, and called it a night.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm

mac.empress wrote:
WIN! +1
+10,000. What in the hell is there to do after week one? Better yet, week three?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Those folks will burn themselves out by the time it's really time to study. Also, if what they're studying is material for their spring classes and not their exams and why they did so poorly on them, they're not going to do anything differently on exams this time either and get poor grades again no matter how much BLL or policy they memorize between now and finals.

50% of my success last semester was studying exam-taking in small doses, over and over, beginning in week one. I had collected enough info on how to take exams that I knew what I was doing on the finals even for classes I hadn't taken any practice tests for. Not all my grades are back yet but I think they'll continue to vindicate this strategy. I'm confident that continuing to do the same thing will help me get even higher grades, the grades I really want, next semester.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Not all my grades are back yet but I think they'll continue to vindicate this strategy.
You need to find a piece of wood right now. Knock on it... quickly.

Signed,

-A sports fan

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 pm

apper123 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Not all my grades are back yet but I think they'll continue to vindicate this strategy.
You need to find a piece of wood right now. Knock on it... quickly.

Signed,

-A sports fan
*looks at your tar*

How 'bout I just flip a coin?

dcz222

New

Post by dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Also, I learned that you have to write horrible English. Basically - write as if you're sending a telegraph, and every word costs money (time).. this is a RISK for professors who love good writing..

But if the professor is focused on issue-spotting and analytic sophistication, you can find issues in 5th grader language, and analytical sophistication does not need proper language.

Don't ever repeat facts unless absolutely essential to analysis. Fact repetition gets you 0 points. Focus on what gets you points.

Don't ever say stupid stuff like.. D shot P1 but missed and shot P2 instead, thus transferred intent doctrine. This is a ridiculous sentence in a law school exam because every word before the comma is fact regurgitation.

Its very counterintuitive because fact repetition is a natural part of conversation, you ain't having a conversation witht he professor..

just my two cents.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

dcz222 wrote:Also, I learned that you have to write horrible English. Basically - write as if you're sending a telegraph, and every word costs money (time).. this is a RISK for professors who love good writing..

But if the professor is focused on issue-spotting and analytic sophistication, you can find issues in 5th grader language, and analytical sophistication does not need proper language.

Don't ever repeat facts unless absolutely essential to analysis. Fact repetition gets you 0 points. Focus on what gets you points.

Don't ever say stupid stuff like.. D shot P1 but missed and shot P2 instead, thus transferred intent doctrine. This is a ridiculous sentence in a law school exam because every word before the comma is fact regurgitation.

Its very counterintuitive because fact repetition is a natural part of conversation, you ain't having a conversation witht he professor..

just my two cents.
Some of this seems like terrible advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 pm

/
Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 pm

dcz222 wrote:Also, I learned that you have to write horrible English. Basically - write as if you're sending a telegraph, and every word costs money (time).. this is a RISK for professors who love good writing..

just my two cents.
This is terrible advice. Facts are super important on law exams, and applying them is 75% of your grade. Follow a template like this is what most law students do. It's a mistake.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 pm

dcz222 wrote:Don't ever repeat facts unless absolutely essential to analysis. Fact repetition gets you 0 points. Focus on what gets you points.

"Don't repeat facts" is often given wisdom, but in the sense of, "Don't just repeat facts". The idea is that fact regurgitation by itself is not sufficient to achieve solid grades, but it's still necessary, because you can't apply law to fact without discussing the facts!

In the above scenario, the following would be appropriate: "D shot P1 but missed and shot P2 instead. Since the transferred intent doctrine can assign the intent of harming one person toward the act that ultimately harms another person, D's intent to harm P1 provides the necessary mens rea to find him guilty of shooting P2." Since this is probably being written in response to a rather long fact pattern, the first sentence serves to let the reader know what you're talking about.

Of course, you'd want to integrate the fact and law discussion more tightly if you can, like this: "While there was no intent to shoot P2 when D shot him, the transferred intent doctrine applies to assign the intent of harming one person toward the act of harming another. Since D did have intent to shoot P1 when he fired and hit P2, transferred intent provides the necessary mens rea to find him guilty of shooting P2."

But you're still discussing the facts of the case in your discussion. Restating the facts is always a necessary component of an exam answer, because you have to make clear what you are referring to when you mention a doctrine. You can't just say "The transferred intent doctrine applies" and expect a good grade, you have to explain that it applies because D had intent to shoot P1 when D shot P2, and that means putting the facts that D had that intent and did that act into your answer. This is especially true with a really tricky fact pattern with 6 different parties and multiple acts; D might have been involved in multiple shootings. Are you now talking about when D shot at P1 and hit P2, or when he shot P3 and hit a cop, or when he shot P1 again and actually killed him this time?

Fact patterns get really complicated, and the professor wants to know what facts you're talking about at any given time, so you'd better tell him. You can't just say "the transferred intent doctrine applies", because the professor will read that and go, "applies to which shooting?" and you will fail to gain any points at all. Fact repetition gets you points if it is part of your analysis, which it should be. Saying "D shot at P1 but hit P2" helps you get points if it's part of your explaining why the transferred intent doctrine applies to this case.

I can sum up a winning exam strategy in four words: Apply law to facts. Apply law to facts. Apply law to facts! Seriously, that's all you're doing for 3-4 hours. Apply law to facts, and if you can figure out more different ways the law could be applied to the facts than everyone else and give reasons for it, you win. That means 1) discussing the law and 2) discussing the facts, through as many possibilities as you can until you run out of time.

If you just write "the transferred intent doctrine applies" and then start rambling about what the transferred intent doctrine is, you're so fucked.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”