annoying interview questions

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anori

annoying interview questions

Postby anori » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 am

OK, I've been asked the "What was your least favorite 1L class" question a bunch of times now. But I'm not sure how relevant it is now that I'm a 2L and can (mostly) actually take the classes I want to take. Plus, I'm not sure how much it tells interviewers if I tell them I didn't like Civ Pro or Contracts. (Both fairly common answers, as far as I can tell.). Today I didn't even get asked what my favorite one was. It was Property. That is not such a common answer. So who's being an asshole and focusing on the negative?

ph14

Re: annoying interview questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 am

anori wrote:OK, I've been asked the "What was your least favorite 1L class" question a bunch of times now. But I'm not sure how relevant it is now that I'm a 2L and can (mostly) actually take the classes I want to take. Plus, I'm not sure how much it tells interviewers if I tell them I didn't like Civ Pro or Contracts. (Both fairly common answers, as far as I can tell.). Today I didn't even get asked what my favorite one was. It was Property. That is not such a common answer. So who's being an asshole and focusing on the negative?

You can turn the negative into a positive. "My least favorite was X, because ABC. But my favorite was Y, because of ABC." Or something like that. Or work it in somehow.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 am

maybe they want to see if you're an actual human being. who has a favorite 1L class?

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 am

i think this is the typical "what's your weakness" question. so, usually, you state your weakness but explain how the weakness can also be a strength. so i guess, you can say your least fav class is X, because ABC. but this ABC actually help you do well in class Y.

and honestly, when you are stating your weakness, you should never state the "real weakness" instead it should be the "planted weakness which you can turn into a strength"

i don't know. just something that came to mind. what you guys think?

anori

Postby anori » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 am

patogordo wrote:maybe they want to see if you're an actual human being. who has a favorite 1L class?

Well, there should be at least one that's less bad than the others. Otherwise you wouldn't be in law school. (Right...right??)

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 am

anori wrote:
patogordo wrote:maybe they want to see if you're an actual human being. who has a favorite 1L class?

Well, there should be at least one that's less bad than the others. Otherwise you wouldn't be in law school. (Right...right??)

what i mean is maybe they get tired of hearing the same canned response of "oh civ pro is my favorite because i've always been soo interested in litigation!" and they just want to see if you can bitch about something shitty like a normal person that they will potentially have to spend 80 hours a week working with in the near future.

anori

Postby anori » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 am

patogordo wrote:
anori wrote:

what i mean is maybe they get tired of hearing the same canned response of "oh civ pro is my favorite because i've always been soo interested in litigation!" and they just want to see if you can bitch about something shitty like a normal person that they will potentially have to spend 80 hours a week working with in the near future.

Haha, well, I'm pretty good at bitching. According to your theory I should have it made. But that somehow doesn't seem like the right thing to do in an interview. (Especially since I'm not young, cute or blonde.)

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 am

anori wrote:
patogordo wrote:
anori wrote:

Haha, well, I'm pretty good at bitching. According to your theory I should have it made. But that somehow doesn't seem like the right thing to do in an interview. (Especially since I'm not young, cute or blonde.)

well, do whatever feels natural. i sometimes forget that not everyone is young, cute, and blonde like me.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am

I would discourage you from "bitching" about class during interviews. Save it for lunch, or when you actually start work

anori

Postby anori » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 am

jbagelboy wrote:I would discourage you from "bitching" about class during interviews. Save it for lunch, or when you actually start work

Well, yeah. That was my point. I thought the whole idea was to be relentlessly positive about everything, and then interviewers encourage you to do otherwise.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:18 am

anori wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would discourage you from "bitching" about class during interviews. Save it for lunch, or when you actually start work

Well, yeah. That was my point. I thought the whole idea was to be relentlessly positive about everything, and then interviewers encourage you to do otherwise.

Gosh, you must be so frustrated.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 am

eliztudorr wrote:i think this is the typical "what's your weakness" question. so, usually, you state your weakness but explain how the weakness can also be a strength. so i guess, you can say your least fav class is X, because ABC. but this ABC actually help you do well in class Y.

and honestly, when you are stating your weakness, you should never state the "real weakness" instead it should be the "planted weakness which you can turn into a strength"

i don't know. just something that came to mind. what you guys think?

This is exactly right. No bitching. Never forget the cardinal rule of interviews: never be disparaging about anything ever. It's stupid but that's the game.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:02 am

My most annoying interview question is "Why do you want to work here?"

BECAUSE I NEED(ED) A JOB.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”