For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AJS30
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby AJS30 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 pm

So I really have not had any finals in law school with both essay and MC ( except maybe 1 or 2 and it was only like 5-10 MC ?'s). Anyway, I was wondering how difficult is it with time management the first morning of the test as I am starting to think I will struggle with having to do 3 essays and 50 MC question in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Also, how tricky are the NY MC questions? Are they long fact patterns/similar to the MBE questions?

It's A Lion
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby It's A Lion » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm

They're only worth 10%. If you do not have the opportunity to do practice NY MC q's, save them until you've finished the essays. That way, you can at least fill in "C" or "D" etc. for the remaining questions if you fall short on time. They're challenging in that they test very specific areas of law.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby 5ky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 am

AJS30 wrote:So I really have not had any finals in law school with both essay and MC ( except maybe 1 or 2 and it was only like 5-10 MC ?'s). Anyway, I was wondering how difficult is it with time management the first morning of the test as I am starting to think I will struggle with having to do 3 essays and 50 MC question in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Also, how tricky are the NY MC questions? Are they long fact patterns/similar to the MBE questions?


I don't know about other bar prep companies, but the barbri practice questions for NYMC were NOTHING like the actual ones. While I wouldn't say that they were easy, they were extremely easy to read quickly and understand what the question was, compared to the MBE. I did it first and finished in about 50 minutes.

I don't agree with the advice of saving them for last. Each essay is only worth 8%. If the average essay score is around a 5/10 and the average NYMC score is slightly over a 25, there's slightly better value in making sure you answer all of those.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 pm

It's A Lion wrote:They're challenging in that they test very specific areas of law.


This

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby El Pollito » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 pm

superflush wrote:
It's A Lion wrote:They're challenging in that they test very specific areas of law.


This

+1. The questions would have been easy if I knew the law, but I guessed on most of them.

AJS30
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby AJS30 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm

So bar prep companies don't do a good job of preparing you for this section on the NY test?

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby El Pollito » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 pm

AJS30 wrote:So bar prep companies don't do a good job of preparing you for this section on the NY test?

You can't really adequately prepare for a 50 question test on random law covering 20-something subjects. I didn't study at all for it and don't think anyone should bother.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby 5ky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Listen, if you know enough NY law to pass the essays, you won't do badly enough on the MC to cause you to fail in any material way. If you're banking on the NY MC to help you pass by covering for a deficiency in another area, then your study strategy was really dumb and you will fail.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17893
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby El Pollito » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 pm

5ky wrote:Listen, if you know enough NY law to pass the essays, you won't do badly enough on the MC to cause you to fail in any material way. If you're banking on the NY MC to help you pass by covering for a deficiency in another area, then your study strategy was really dumb and you will fail.

+1, but you won't fail.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: For those who have taken the NY Bar- Question regarding MC

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 am

El Pollito wrote:
AJS30 wrote:So bar prep companies don't do a good job of preparing you for this section on the NY test?

You can't really adequately prepare for a 50 question test on random law covering 20-something subjects. I didn't study at all for it and don't think anyone should bother.

Yeah. Even in the terrorhaze of bar prep I could see dimly that the NYMC were a pointless time sink. The bar prep companies will, of course, not admit this, but seriously, fuck the NYMC. Like do SOME, but mostly so that on the morning of the test you can be like hey, I did some. In terms of time management I don't think it's a big deal; you just do the math beforehand and make sure to pace yourself, same as any test in any format.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer, ophelia and 20 guests