portability of state trial court clerkships

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
objctnyrhnr

portability of state trial court clerkships

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Bit of background:

median at very strong regional powerhouse t25 or t30. i dont' even know what it is now. extensive experience in state of school and state in which I want to practice in the prosecutorial realm.

I have been interviewed for a couple SSC clerkships, but they did not pan out. I think I am likely to be offered a trial court clerkship from a neighboring state. I am inclined to not take it, mainly because it will be another couple months before I hear from DA's Offices (what I really want), or even before the trial court clerkship in my own state starts accepting applications. Additionally, I have no desire to learn this state's laws, or to build a network in this state. Most importantly, I do not feel that trial-level clerkships have sufficient prestige levels to really boost an application for anything in a different state. Am I wrong? Also, the prospect of moving or commuting is not at all appealing to me.

Of course, though, my career services office thinks I am an idiot for wanting to withdraw from this ITE. I believe I have a strong shot at getting at least one of the prosecutorial jobs I want, but obviously nothing is a definite. Withdrawing from this would constitute a gamble, I guess, but something feels inherently wrong about taking my 5th or so choice job when I haven't yet heard from choices 1-4. I am trying to get the prosecution jobs to speed up their processes for me as a result of this, but I am not optimistic.

Thoughts?

kalvano

Re: portability of state trial court clerkships

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm

A state trial clerkship is really only a good choice if you want to practice in that state.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm

kalvano wrote:A state trial clerkship is really only a good choice if you want to practice in that state.

That was exactly what I was thinking, which is the main reason why I am inclined to withdraw. I agree with you, but I was wondering upon what you are basing your opinion? Personal experience? What you have heard?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 pm

I did a lot of research into them my 2L year. Like, hours.

But also think about it. Why would a Texas firm care one bit that you clerked for Judge Fudge of the North Dakota trial courts? Trial court clerkships really aren't that prestigious to begin with.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:57 pm

kalvano wrote:I did a lot of research into them my 2L year. Like, hours.

But also think about it. Why would a Texas firm care one bit that you clerked for Judge Fudge of the North Dakota trial courts? Trial court clerkships really aren't that prestigious to begin with.

what about the argument that, if you want to do trial work, a trial court clerkship will help a lot (regardless of its location)? does this carry any weight?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Not unless you intend to try cases in that state. The helpfulness of clerkships in general is debatable, as well.

But if you want to work in state X, either do a clerkship there or get a job there. A state Y trial court clerkship won't be of much help in state X.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm

kalvano wrote:Not unless you intend to try cases in that state. The helpfulness of clerkships in general is debatable, as well.

But if you want to work in state X, either do a clerkship there or get a job there. A state Y trial court clerkship won't be of much help in state X.

If you were me, in light of the info above, would you turn it down ITE (prosecution offices are too early in their processes to be able to give me a decision)?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:56 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not unless you intend to try cases in that state. The helpfulness of clerkships in general is debatable, as well.

If you were me, in light of the info above, would you turn it down ITE (prosecution offices are too early in their processes to be able to give me a decision)?

I mean, it won't really help your career, it's not a place you want to practice....I'd pass.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Okay, thank you for the advice.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Just take it and keep applying elsewhere, and if a better opportunity arises, quit. Who cares if you won't ever be back to that state? If you don't care about the bridges, burn'em. I personally think turning down legal employment of any kind without KNOWING you WILL have a BETTER job is foolish ITE.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Just take it and keep applying elsewhere, and if a better opportunity arises, quit. Who cares if you won't ever be back to that state? If you don't care about the bridges, burn'em. I personally think turning down legal employment of any kind without KNOWING you WILL have a BETTER job is foolish ITE.

I mean it is the bordering state. And it is a small state, let me tell you (possibly outing location/school). Moreover, it wouldn't be like taking the job and turning it down in 3 weeks. It would be taking it and turning it down in 3-4 months. It just feels like a really bad karma play, if nothing else. While I do not care about the bridge today, or in a few years, I very well might one day.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”