Law review note question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smutmonger

New

Law review note question

Post by smutmonger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Are there any ethical issues with talking to one of the attorneys about the same case that is the topic of my note?

akg144

Bronze

Re: Law review note question

Post by akg144 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Considering your name is smutmonger something makes me think ethics isn't exactly your forte

smutmonger

New

Post by smutmonger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 pm

akg144 wrote:Considering your name is smutmonger something makes me think ethics isn't exactly your forte
Your assumptions may be correct. My note, however, will be 100% ethical because it could possibly be scrutinized.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 pm

akg144 wrote:Considering your name is smutmonger something makes me think ethics isn't exactly your forte
+1.

As to your question, it depends on what exactly you talk about. Your question is a little too vague on facts for any of us to provide any more meaningful of a response than akg144 provided.

smutmonger

New

Post by smutmonger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
+1.

As to your question, it depends on what exactly you talk about. Your question is a little too vague on facts for any of us to provide any more meaningful of a response than akg144 provided.
If its kosher, I would like to talk specifically about the case and any ideas that the attorney has on what he thinks I should write about.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 pm

smutmonger wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
+1.

If its kosher, I would like to talk specifically about the case and any ideas that the attorney has on what he thinks I should write about.
If it is an ongoing case, she/he will likely not be ethically able to discuss it with you. If the case is not ongoing, you will likely have no issues talking to the attorney about the case unless there are confidentiality concerns. Again, it depends on what you ask him/her.

On the issue of academic honesty with writing/researching your note independently, just ask one of your executive board members of your journal. I don't think asking an attorney about a case they worked on will pose much concern. Why would journals have faculty advisers to help students with their note writing process if asking a practicing attorney for ideas on your note were a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”