Motion for Summary Judgment Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mredav44

New

Motion for Summary Judgment

Post by Mredav44 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 pm

I have a question concerning the standard of review of a motion for summary judgment.

Suppose we are in Federal District Court. Plaintiff files a complaint, and Defendant denies most of the complaint in his answer. The Defendant then moves for summary judgment. Will the complaint still be read in the Plaintiff's favor (including those allegations the defendant denied), so long as the statements of facts are not conclusory re-states of the law in question?

Basically, I don't know if the facts in the complaint may still be used if the defendant has denied those alleged facts.

Any clarification will help.

Thanks

patogordo

Gold

Re: Motion for Summary Judgment

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 pm

the defendant has to produce evidence (or at least refer to evidence that would be admissible at trial) to support its motion for summary judgment. they can't just deny the allegations. whatever evidence they produce will be viewed in the light most favorable to the plaintiff, drawing all reasonable inferences in the plaintiff's favor. if there's still a genuine dispute of material fact at that point, the motion fails.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 pm

this sounds like a motion to dismiss would be more appropriate

Mredav44

New

Post by Mredav44 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 am

patogordo wrote:the defendant has to produce evidence (or at least refer to evidence that would be admissible at trial) to support its motion for summary judgment. they can't just deny the allegations. whatever evidence they produce will be viewed in the light most favorable to the plaintiff, drawing all reasonable inferences in the plaintiff's favor. if there's still a genuine dispute of material fact at that point, the motion fails.

Thanks, this helps a lot

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 am

Non-moving party is granted dat favorable light doe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:21 am

i mean the answer is basically yes. if plaintiff says "you did X" and defendant says "i deny doing X" and that's all there is then neither side is getting summary judgment. it doesn't matter that "you did X" is just a bare allegation or that plaintiff is not credible or whatever.

but there are situations where plaintiff might allege "you did X" and defendant produces evidence that they didn't do X, and even viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the plaintiff no reasonable jury could find that defendant did X. and in that case it's not like plaintiff can say "but bro my complaint says you did X and i get dat favorable light so you can't say i'm lying."

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 am

patogordo wrote:i mean the answer is basically yes. if plaintiff says "you did X" and defendant says "i deny doing X" and that's all there is then neither side is getting summary judgment. it doesn't matter that "you did X" is just a bare allegation or that plaintiff is not credible or whatever.

but there are situations where plaintiff might allege "you did X" and defendant produces evidence that they didn't do X, and even viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the plaintiff no reasonable jury could find that defendant did X. and in that case it's not like plaintiff can say "but bro my complaint says you did X and i get dat favorable light so you can't say i'm lying."
But dat non-moving party's sworn affidavit is substantive doe

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
patogordo wrote:i mean the answer is basically yes. if plaintiff says "you did X" and defendant says "i deny doing X" and that's all there is then neither side is getting summary judgment. it doesn't matter that "you did X" is just a bare allegation or that plaintiff is not credible or whatever.

OP's asking about the complaint

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:36 am

patogordo wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:

OP's asking about the complaint
Sorry, I was getting silly for fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schweitziro

New

Post by schweitziro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 am

Could be a verified complaint.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:49 am

Sounds like OP is confusing MTD with MSJ. MSJ will usually have some discovery for the parties to refer to so you don't have to rely on the complaint/answer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”