Last quarter of law school: Take Evidence or Securities?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
canes

Last quarter of law school: Take Evidence or Securities?

Postby canes » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm graduating and will be taking the bar in July, so I'm a little concerned about never taking Evidence. However, I'll be doing transactional work and securities will no doubt be more relevant going forward. Both classes are at the same time, so I have to pick one.

Will barbri do a good enough job of preparing me for the evidence-based sections of the bar, so that I shouldn't sweat graduating without ever taking it?

Bikeflip

Re: Last quarter of law school: Take Evidence or Securities?

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm

If you're just taking Evidence for bar purposes, here's what the MBE people think is important (LinkRemoved). In short, hearsay and witnesses. Dunno how that's going to weigh in your consideration, but it's good to know.

Just note that you're going to get a ton of prep work for Evidence come May-June, and everyone's going to have a weakness come bar time. My property professor didn't go over the estate system at all. I didn't know what fee simple was, but I did okay. As for me, I'd do Evidence, as it's just good to know. That said, I know people on here crammed all of their Evidence studying into 3 days, and they did well on their finals. So if you want to be able to hit the ground running come your Sept start date, then do Securities and cram for Evidence. I'd P/F either course, if you can.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I say securities. It's best to keep a long-term perspective. My securities law professor (a current partner at a law firm) began our semester by saying that when he hears that first-year transactional associates haven't taken securities, he is like, "oh my... why?"

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Securities by a mile.

Get an overview of what will actually be relevant to your practice. Evidence is one of the most straightforward topics. Typical professor hide-the-ball classes are not going to help you on the bar. If anything a law school course in evidence would be something you would have to unlearn for the bar.

Taking any course because of the bar is one of the dumbest things you can do in law school.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 pm

I wouldn't be concerned about not having taken evidence for the bar. I've found that, for the most part, evidence was the most straight forward class I took in law school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”