Disgusting Gunner Strategy Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What should I do?

Same study group as last semester
26%
Seek out people I know did well
33%
Study alone
41%

Total votes: 27

E11e

Disgusting Gunner Strategy Question

Postby E11e » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:34 pm

I did well last semester, but I would prefer to do better this semester. I was literally one point below the top grade in multiple classes, so I feel like I have a good shot at moving up, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I studied with a couple people before finals, but I was aware that I had a better understanding of the material and of how to approach the exams. They did not do that well on the exams.

I feel somewhat loyal to my current study group, and I feel relatively secure that helping them will not hurt my grades. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much it's helping me. It's always good to talk through things with people, but should I be seeking out people who I know did well to try and figure out what they did that I didn't?

Any thoughts appreciated.

wbrother

Re: Disgusting Gunner Strategy Question

Postby wbrother » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:38 pm

E11e wrote:I did well last semester, but I would prefer to do better this semester. I was literally one point below the top grade in multiple classes, so I feel like I have a good shot at moving up, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I studied with a couple people before finals, but I was aware that I had a better understanding of the material and of how to approach the exams. They did not do that well on the exams.

I feel somewhat loyal to my current study group, and I feel relatively secure that helping them will not hurt my grades. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much it's helping me. It's always good to talk through things with people, but should I be seeking out people who I know did well to try and figure out what they did that I didn't?

Shot in the dark here... Amy H.?!

E11e

Postby E11e » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:45 pm

wbrother wrote:
E11e wrote:I did well last semester, but I would prefer to do better this semester. I was literally one point below the top grade in multiple classes, so I feel like I have a good shot at moving up, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

Shot in the dark here... Amy H.?!

Dan O.?!

kidding…sorry…not Amy.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 pm

You answered your own question. If you feel like you're helping the group more than they are helping you, well, you're not helping yourself. I'd love a world where collaborative learning was encouraged and beneficial, but that is not law school. You're incentivized to not help others. So I say, don't. But it's also true that if you're in a group and are not the smartest person at the table, by all means, learn all you can in group.

E11e

Postby E11e » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:You answered your own question. If you feel like you're helping the group more than they are helping you, well, you're not helping yourself. I'd love a world where collaborative learning was encouraged and beneficial, but that is not law school. You're incentivized to not help others. So I say, don't. But it's also true that if you're in a group and are not the smartest person at the table, by all means, learn all you can in group.

I think my concern is that working with people I know were at the top will help me, but will also help them so it doesn't necessarily help me beat them. If I help the people I currently study with, they might hit median, but I still benefit some from explaining things and talking through answers.

There is the added annoyance that I don't particularly like the people who did well, but I can get over that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm

If the people you usually study with are your friends just study with them and if you want to feel more prepared spend some time studying alone. That's it.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm

E11e wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:You answered your own question. If you feel like you're helping the group more than they are helping you, well, you're not helping yourself. I'd love a world where collaborative learning was encouraged and beneficial, but that is not law school. You're incentivized to not help others. So I say, don't. But it's also true that if you're in a group and are not the smartest person at the table, by all means, learn all you can in group.

I think my concern is that working with people I know were at the top will help me, but will also help them so it doesn't necessarily help me beat them. If I help the people I currently study with, they might hit median, but I still benefit some from explaining things and talking through answers.

There is the added annoyance that I don't particularly like the people who did well, but I can get over that.

If you were a point off top scores it sounds like you can keep doing what you're doing and just work a bit harder, if possible. Switching groups may burn bridges and you never know if you'll find yourself in a new situation that is worse than your current, seemingly not so bad situation.

Just a clueless 0L observation though. Good luck!

YOU ARE A 0L. THIS IS NOT YOUR FORUM. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION HERE.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Explaining things to others can help a lot, even if your friends are idiots. Plus you get to hang out with your friends rather than those assholes who finished within one point of the top grade.

Postby 06102016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 pm

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:12 pm

E11e wrote:

A one point difference isn't going to be decided by who you study with. What makes you think the top people will help you out? You can't quantify how much explaining things to other people helps you clarify it in your own mind. You might do worse studying with other people. It can be easy to forget the basic most simple points if everyone gets it and waste time on stuff that is too esoteric.

Just focus your studying on taking the exam. Find out from the professors where you lost points. Go from there.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Are these people your friends? Like are they the people you socialize with outside of the context of class? If so, continue studying with them, you did fine from their group. If they are just randos and you have another friendship group/support network, then go ahead and find a study group you feel more academically on par.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I voted to not do study groups, but that is my personal preference.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:59 pm

:lol: #gunnerproblems

E11e wrote:I feel somewhat loyal to my current study group, and I feel relatively secure that helping them will not hurt my grades. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much it's helping me. It's always good to talk through things with people, but should I be seeking out people who I know did well to try and figure out what they did that I didn't?

On a more serious note, it doesn't matter what rank in the class the people in your study group have (within reason...the bottom dwellers are probably on their way to dropping out). I've kept the same study partners throughout 1L and 2L even though we're on varying ends of the rank spectrum. The better question is really whether or not the people you study with: a) aren't stupid competitive and completely incapable of being able to admit they might be wrong about a certain concept, and b) are people you genuinely like. I think the second part is just as important because if I'm busy stewing about the fact that person X is driving me bonkers and always does whenever he raises his hand in class, then I'm not focusing on what I should be focusing on.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”