Bluebook Tips

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pottedplants

Bluebook Tips

Postby pottedplants » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Sup TLS!

Do ya'll have any tips for Bluebooking? I've read it cover to cover twice, but still forget/miss things when reviewing my legal writing.

I've made tabs for my edition, which helps for quick reference, but I'm still pretty slow.

Any of ya'll have suggestions for maximizing efficiency and remembering rules?

Thanks!

ph14

Re: Bluebook Tips

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 pm

pottedplants wrote:Sup TLS!

Do ya'll have any tips for Bluebooking? I've read it cover to cover twice, but still forget/miss things when reviewing my legal writing.

I've made tabs for my edition, which helps for quick reference, but I'm still pretty slow.

Any of ya'll have suggestions for maximizing efficiency and remembering rules?

Thanks!

Subscribe to legalbluebook.com, you can search stuff and it is much more useful than the hard copy, imo. Master the basics and that's the vast majority of citations. Instead of looking up how to cite in the Bluebook, look up an article in the Harvard Law Review database on Westlaw (HLVR), and it should be properly Bluebooked. Use Heinonline if you need to check formatting (e.g., typeface).

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:51 pm

pottedplants wrote:I've read it cover to cover twice

Not sure whether to be impressed or appalled.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 am

Are you citing a lot of stuff other than cases and statutes in your 1L writing class?

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Unless you're on Law Review (even then that is a stretch) you should not be reading the bluebook cover to cover. They created an index and you should use it.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Just look stuff up when you need it and you'll eventually just remember the main stuff through repetition. You're not going to remember any of it just from reading it cover-to-cover (which is insane, btw... did you read every state's rules re reporters/statute abbreviations/etc. too?).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Use the same cites other materials use, don't Bluebook anything yourself unless you have to.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:12 am

Micdiddy wrote:Use the same cites other materials use, don't Bluebook anything yourself unless you have to.

Probably best to force yourself to be meticulous at first. Once you get an idea for how things are then you can take shortcuts. Also, Westlaw copy and paste citations are usually pretty damn close.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”