1L Classes That People Get?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What classes in 1L year do people typically "get"?

Constitutional Law
11
19%
Civil Procedure
26
45%
Property
21
36%
 
Total votes: 58

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Black Hat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Which of these classes in 1L year do people typically "get" pretty easily? For curve purposes, which of the following classes is it "more difficult" to get a high grade in?

Obviously the answers will be wholly subjective. However, it may be pretty uniform across schools.

We all know there are difficult classes, and ones that are "easier." Thanks for the input.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby sublime » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:50 pm

..

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Black Hat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 pm

sublime wrote:It is all based on professor strength and what you are good at.

Myself, Fuck property. But that was also my worse prof. By far.



Man, I hear ya on bad professors! ha ha

WheatThins
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby WheatThins » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:09 pm

sublime wrote:It is all based on professor strength and what you are good at.

Myself, Fuck property. But that was also my worse prof. By far.



Jesus, will you stop bitching and moaning about your property professor. It was an easy test if you paid attention once in a while.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby sublime » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm

..

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Usually people say torts is easy to learn. Keep it mind that's inversely related to how well you have to perform on the exam.

B < PL

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby sd5289 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Wow. I did not expect to be the one person to vote Con Law. I would have voted Property, but my prof was simply a phenomenal teacher, and the only reason I did well in that class (future inter...dafuq you saying?) was because of her. I think in general Property is not intuitive at all. Same with Contracts.

Con Law seems to be the most easily accessible of the three given the historical context and background that hopefully every law student has been exposed to prior to law school...

User avatar
samcro_op
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby samcro_op » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 am

sd5289 wrote:Wow. I did not expect to be the one person to vote Con Law. I would have voted Property, but my prof was simply a phenomenal teacher, and the only reason I did well in that class (future inter...dafuq you saying?) was because of her. I think in general Property is not intuitive at all. Same with Contracts.

Con Law seems to be the most easily accessible of the three given the historical context and background that hopefully every law student has been exposed to prior to law school...


Not me and fuck my life.

ThinkNegative
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby ThinkNegative » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:36 am

My conlaw professor keeps saying things like, "many of you know this already from your undergrad conlaw classes, right? RIGHT? BAHAHAHA I AM SATAN," except for the last part, which is implied.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Black Hat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:07 pm

ThinkNegative wrote:My conlaw professor keeps saying things like, "many of you know this already from your undergrad conlaw classes, right? RIGHT? BAHAHAHA I AM SATAN," except for the last part, which is implied.



Yeah I feel like I am at a definite disadvantage not being a political science major!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Torts

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 pm

torts is easiest and lucrative.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:40 pm

My property professor was great and I guess he taught it well because it was one of the easier classes to "get" for me. Almost everything was elements based so you just had to memorize the elements like a math formula.
CivPro was pretty tough to "get" especially because it exercises the different extremes of your mind. The Rules portion is memorization and just applying rules to facts, the Erie and PJ stuff is the most flexible, least-intuitive law stuff I have encountered.
Still in ConLaw but so far seems difficult.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby rambleon65 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:12 pm

I think categorically, Torts is the right answer; it's technically the most intuitive. Maybe even Crim.

But the thing is, it depends on your professor. My torts professor was a crazy econ/incentives guy (quite easily the smartest professor at the school) and went into the topics with a LOT of depth. Like, equations and shit. Yea.

Conversely, Civ Pro is supposedly the "hardest" because it's one everybody's most unfamiliar with. But maybe it's my professor, because i don't find it that difficult.


Categorically, the law (as is taught 1L year) is not hard to "get." The harder part is applying them.

Wearthewildthingsr
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:32 pm

I've honestly found that the professors are more determinative in whether a subject is intuitive vs the subject matter itself.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby Swimp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

rambleon65 wrote:I think categorically, Torts is the right answer; it's technically the most intuitive. Maybe even Crim.

But the thing is, it depends on your professor. My torts professor was a crazy econ/incentives guy (quite easily the smartest professor at the school) and went into the topics with a LOT of depth. Like, equations and shit. Yea.

Conversely, Civ Pro is supposedly the "hardest" because it's one everybody's most unfamiliar with. But maybe it's my professor, because i don't find it that difficult.


Categorically, the law (as is taught 1L year) is not hard to "get." The harder part is applying them.


Categorically, 1L is the most categorical of legal categories.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby sd5289 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Swimp wrote:Categorically, 1L is the most categorical of legal categories.


:lol:

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:59 pm

I would also venture to say that it depends on how your thought processes work. If you are very rule-oriented, and work best with flowcharts and the like, then odds are that you will do relatively well in civil procedure, because the class is essentially a matter of figuring out how all of the rules fit together.

The other doctrinal classes (criminal law, torts, property, contracts, etc.) are a bit more a crapshoot, and as others are saying, are largely dependent on the way that your prof teaches. I found property to be very intuitive, but contracts less so.

klm550
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby klm550 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Torts was definitely the easiest for me. As others have said it's pretty intuitive and there isn't really any dense doctrine like there is in CivPro.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Constitutional law can be broken down into a single important sentence per case... So I pick that one!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:57 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Constitutional law can be broken down into a single important sentence per case... So I pick that one!


thats what makes con law hard.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 1L Classes That People Get?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Classes that people "get" are going to have a brutal curve. Torts may seem to be an easy course but that does not translate to an easy A. Civil Procedure, on the other hand, is going to have a more forgiving curve and merely knowing the material will allow you to set yourself apart from you classmates.


i think this intuitively makes sense. but i just feel compelled to disagree with my distinguished colleague because i have little faith in most law students to actually show up knowing the material and being able to apply it in any meanignful way.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lakers3 and 11 guests