Latin honors... what would you do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ringdabell

Latin honors... what would you do?

Postby ringdabell » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Hypothetically, last year's gpa cutoff for cum laude was 3.53 (but the year before that was 3.44. so this year, the cutoff might be even higher than 3.53, or maybe not).

So far you have 3.55.

Would you work to still increase your gpa (with the risk of ultimately ending up with much worse gpa)?

Or would you just maintain your current gpa and bet on this year's cutoff being below 3.55?

Any thoughts? Would really appreciate any advice or shared thoughts!

wiz

Re: Latin honors... what would you do?

Postby wiz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:14 pm

I don't understand the question. Are you saying you might accidentally work too hard and end up getting shit grades? But if you decide to maintain, you'll just coast to another 3.55?

MrsPalsgraf

Postby MrsPalsgraf » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 pm

ringdabell wrote:Hypothetically, last year's gpa cutoff for cum laude was 3.53 (but the year before that was 3.44. so this year, the cutoff might be even higher than 3.53, or maybe not).

So far you have 3.55.

Would you work to still increase your gpa (with the risk of ultimately ending up with much worse gpa)?

Or would you just maintain your current gpa and bet on this year's cutoff being below 3.55?

Any thoughts? Would really appreciate any advice or shared thoughts!

Huh?

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:21 pm

wiz wrote:I don't understand the question. Are you saying you might accidentally work too hard and end up getting shit grades? But if you decide to maintain, you'll just coast to another 3.55?

Sorry I left out an important fact: you can take classes that are not graded (hence won't affect your gpa at all).

So I was wondering if I should just take those classes and maintain 3.55.

Or take classes that are graded and work hard to increase it higher (with the risk of not getting the grade I want and end up lowing the overall gpa).

P.s.) but "haha" to your comment- that's funny haha

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Are the graded classes full of gunners or people who dgaf? Are they subjects you feel comfortable in? Are the Professors generous graders? Mandatory curve?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54 pm

I would take a minimal courseload (maybe 2 classes) in classes that aren't known as gunner classes (i.e., not federal courts, etc.). Perhaps take an uncurved class if your school has any of those and if you think you could do well. I'd focus on those classes and try and bump myself up to 3.60+. I'd rather at least go down swinging if i'm right on the line. That's just me, though.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 am

Whoooooo caaaaaares

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

patogordo wrote:Whoooooo caaaaaares

Hmm, i'd guess that a website called "Top Law Schools" is probably a good place to find people who care.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:15 am

ph14 wrote:I would take a minimal courseload (maybe 2 classes) in classes that aren't known as gunner classes (i.e., not federal courts, etc.). Perhaps take an uncurved class if your school has any of those and if you think you could do well. I'd focus on those classes and try and bump myself up to 3.60+. I'd rather at least go down swinging if i'm right on the line. That's just me, though.

I agree with this. An A - is doable in most seminar type classes. Go for it.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 am

gdane wrote:
ph14 wrote:I would take a minimal courseload (maybe 2 classes) in classes that aren't known as gunner classes (i.e., not federal courts, etc.). Perhaps take an uncurved class if your school has any of those and if you think you could do well. I'd focus on those classes and try and bump myself up to 3.60+. I'd rather at least go down swinging if i'm right on the line. That's just me, though.

The problem is for me getting average A- will not change my gpa at all (maybe third or fourth decimals)
I also prefer to bump myself up but that means I have to get mostly As in how many classes I take (which obviously requires a lot of effort with no guarantee).

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 am

ringdabell wrote:
gdane wrote:

The problem is for me getting average A- will not change my gpa at all (maybe third or fourth decimals)
I also prefer to bump myself up but that means I have to get mostly As in how many classes I take (which obviously requires a lot of effort with no guarantee).

Sounds like you've made your mind up.

wiz

Postby wiz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 am

ph14 wrote:
ringdabell wrote:
gdane wrote:

Sounds like you've made your mind up.

Yeah, just chill out and enjoy your last semester then. Attempting to 4.0 a couple classes doesn't sound like it's worth the risk or effort in your case.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”