Blue book Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Andrews989

Blue book Question

Postby Andrews989 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a quick blue book question. Any help would be appreciated!

In a footnote (or a law review article), lets say I have this:

Id. (“there was an inadequate record upon which the district court could assess the merits of a novel privilege claim in this circuit”).

Does the period there go inside the quotation marks and parenthesis or outside? What rule does this fall under?

Thanks!

txdude45

Re: Blue book Question

Postby txdude45 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm

A quotation of a full sentence should be capitalized, "([T].....)" in this instance.

As for the period, you need to have one inside the quotation marks as well as after the closing parenthesis.

This is all rule 1.5(a)(ii)

Id. (“[T]here was an inadequate record upon which the district court could assess the merits of a novel privilege claim in this circuit.”).

Andrews989 wrote:I have a quick blue book question. Any help would be appreciated!

Does the period there go inside the quotation marks and parenthesis or outside? What rule does this fall under?

Thanks!

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Blue book Question

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 pm

txdude45 wrote:A quotation of a full sentence should be capitalized, "([T].....)" in this instance.

As for the period, you need to have one inside the quotation marks as well as after the closing parenthesis.

This is all rule 1.5(a)(ii)

Id. (“[T]here was an inadequate record upon which the district court could assess the merits of a novel privilege claim in this circuit.”).

Andrews989 wrote:I have a quick blue book question. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This is the correct answer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”