Is a B- a kiss of death for OCI?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pastapplicant

Is a B- a kiss of death for OCI?

Postby pastapplicant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Is one B- a kiss of death for OCI if my cumulative GPA is median at CCNP?

brotherdarkness

Re: Is a B- a kiss of death for OCI?

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm

This thread offers varying opinions on your question:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=223565

The "how much does a B- matter?" discussion starts a few posts down.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

No it won't kill you. You'll almost certainly perform at your cumulative GPA.

PennLaw16

Postby PennLaw16 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:35 pm

I approve of this Penn trolling.

Also, no -- not a kiss of death. Do well in the rest of your courses, bid conservatively, practice interviewing, and you'll be fine.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 pm

PennLaw16 wrote:I approve of this Penn trolling.

I know, it's cute. The OP is clearly from Penn. No one from CCN would demean their school by grouping it with P. But someone at P might be motivated to set their school apart from MPVB. I don't blame the OP....probably makes him/her feel better about the B-.

PennLaw16

Postby PennLaw16 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
PennLaw16 wrote:I approve of this Penn trolling.

I know, it's cute. The OP is clearly from Penn. No one from CCN would demean their school by grouping it with P. But someone at P might be motivated to set their school apart from MPVB. I don't blame the OP....probably makes him/her feel better about the B-.

Haha, like I said, I approve of it. Penn's employment numbers suggest they're a cut above MVB, with NYU as their closest peer school. I personally chose P over 2 of CCN for the same money.

But like you said, that's a distinction nobody from CCN would care to make. Kind of like saying "I go to a top 15 law school". Hey there, Texas.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm

pastapplicant wrote:Is one B- a kiss of death for OCI if my cumulative GPA is median at CCNP?

...someone look up homicide justifications for me and tell me if "guy with higher GPA than defendant bitched online about shit that doesn't matter at all" sneaks in there somewhere.

"WILL ONE B- KILL MY CHANCES AT MODELS AND BOTTLES? NO? WHAT ABOUT MY STAGGERING ASPBERGER'S?"

JFC, am I going to have to see this shit for the next seven months?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:Is one B- a kiss of death for OCI if my cumulative GPA is median at CCNP?

...someone look up homicide justifications for me and tell me if "guy with higher GPA than defendant bitched online about shit that doesn't matter at all" sneaks in there somewhere.

"WILL ONE B- KILL MY CHANCES AT MODELS AND BOTTLES? NO? WHAT ABOUT MY STAGGERING ASPBERGER'S?"

Uhhhhh.....what are you talking about?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Lol @ super discrete Penn kids calling it CCNP

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm

IAFG wrote:Lol @ super discrete Penn kids calling it CCNP

Looking at his posts it actually seems like he is at NYU.

wiz

Postby wiz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Uhhhhh.....what are you talking about?

I think he's saying that he got bad grades and wants to Patrick Bateman OP.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:04 pm

OP here,

I'm sorry the CCNP thing got everyone's attention lol. I haven't been to TLS in a while and I saw CCNP everywhere else so I just assumed that was the grouping these days. I am at NYU. I guess no point in hiding it because of post history. To be more specific, I had a slightly above 3.33 GPA my 1L year but I just got a B- in an elective class (imagine something like sports law) that dropped my GPA to slightly below median. I am a dual degree student so OCI this coming summer is the important one for me and I read all these threads from Penn students saying a B- is a kiss of death so I was getting nervous.

wiz

Postby wiz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 pm

pastapplicant wrote:OP here,

I'm sorry the CCNP thing got everyone's attention lol. I haven't been to TLS in a while and I saw CCNP everywhere else so I just assumed that was the grouping these days. I am at NYU. I guess no point in hiding it because of post history. To be more specific, I had a slightly above 3.33 GPA my 1L year but I just got a B- in an elective class (imagine something like sports law) that dropped my GPA to slightly below median. I am a dual degree student so OCI this coming summer is the important one for me and I read all these threads from Penn students saying a B- is a kiss of death so I was getting nervous.

Your performance will be in line with all the other medianish students at NYU. So no, your one outlier grade won't be a kiss of death for OCI, and odds are you'll be fine.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm

good to hear. what's up with the ppl in the penn threads saying biglaw is out for those who get a b-?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:57 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:good to hear. what's up with the ppl in the penn threads saying biglaw is out for those who get a b-?

They're saying that it will make things more difficult and that if you're a poor interviewer, bid grade-snobby firms, and aim for insular or otherwise "tough" markets, you're not going to have a good time. Bid NYC, bid firms that have taken people from median, and work on becoming a stellar interview.

Biglaw isn't guaranteed for anyone, but you're not out of the game.

Some of those Penn students had several B-'s. Cumulative GPA is what matters anyway.

Also, this year Penn OCI didn't seem as secure as CCN for median-below median students

danitt

Postby danitt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:good to hear. what's up with the ppl in the penn threads saying biglaw is out for those who get a b-?

They're saying that it will make things more difficult and that if you're a poor interviewer, bid grade-snobby firms, and aim for insular or otherwise "tough" markets, you're not going to have a good time. Bid NYC, bid firms that have taken people from median, and work on becoming a stellar interview.

Some of those Penn students had several B-'s. Cumulative GPA is what matters anyway.

Also, this year Penn OCI didn't seem as secure as CCN for median-below median students

The way people stress a B- I was wondering about this. Say you have a cumulative GPA that's top 25% but you have a B- on your transcript is an employer really going to be like, "We can't take him. He has a B-."? That's stupid.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:43 pm

danitt wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:

The way people stress a B- I was wondering about this. Say you have a cumulative GPA that's top 25% but you have a B- on your transcript is an employer really going to be like, "We can't take him. He has a B-."? That's stupid.

You're right, of course they wont. Its not disqualifying. But consider, you'd have to get at least all A-'s or above to get top 1/4 with a B- (assuming ~3.3 median). Also, interviewers may ask about the class if its an outlier. Ive been asked about my worst grade (not B-, but not great either) in interviews already. So have something prepared for that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”