Associate Dean Wants to See Me? (1L)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PennLaw16

Re: Associate Dean Wants to See Me? (1L)

Postby PennLaw16 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 pm

This is ridiculous. It's almost definitely some kind of internship/summer job/work opportunity available to students with good grades.

If you get this freaked out about moderately good news, life is going to kick your ass.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:45 pm

calibleu wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Jesus Christ

It could be something like meeting with prospective students. Unless you failed a class, which it sounds like you didn't.. It's going to be fine. take a chill pill.

So it is possible an Associate Dean would take the time to meet with a student just because of bad grades? I did pretty poorly in one of my courses but it was balanced out by other grades.

Sure. It's possible. It's also possible that you are the 1,000,000th student and won free tuition.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:48 pm

PennLaw16 wrote:This is ridiculous. It's almost definitely some kind of internship/summer job/work opportunity available to students with good grades.

If you get this freaked out about moderately good news, life is going to kick your ass.

Thanks for putting it in perspective! I sure hope it is good news.

Just to make myself look a little less crazy, I probably should have mentioned that I generally do struggle with anxiety over things that might seem small/stupid to others (and I think law school has frankly made it worse--but I really want to be a lawyer, so I am sucking it up).

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:49 pm

kay2016 wrote:
calibleu wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Jesus Christ

It could be something like meeting with prospective students. Unless you failed a class, which it sounds like you didn't.. It's going to be fine. take a chill pill.

So it is possible an Associate Dean would take the time to meet with a student just because of bad grades? I did pretty poorly in one of my courses but it was balanced out by other grades.

Sure. It's possible. It's also possible that you are the 1,000,000th student and won free tuition.

I wish lol! Especially since I'm paying 50k in tuition right now!

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 pm

calibleu wrote:
PennLaw16 wrote:This is ridiculous. It's almost definitely some kind of internship/summer job/work opportunity available to students with good grades.

Just to make myself look a little less crazy, I probably should have mentioned that I generally do struggle with anxiety over things that might seem small/stupid to others (and I think law school has frankly made it worse--but I really want to be a lawyer, so I am sucking it up).

While you're at the Deans office Id suggest you talk to him/her about your anxiety. I can't imagine that's helping anything

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

kay2016 wrote:
calibleu wrote:

While you're at the Deans office Id suggest you talk to him/her about your anxiety. I can't imagine that's helping anything

Yeah I might - I know the student affairs office handles personal counseling, so it could be a good idea.

Though I'm not sure how much good it would do. I think it boils down to the environment and the kind of attitudes it encourages - the most stressful thing for me is constantly hearing how much someone else is studying/studied, how many hours they spent at the library, how they proofread their memo for 4 days, how they were up all night, how they've already spoken to 100 potential employers, etc. I guess maybe counseling would help me learn to block all of this stuff out of my mind more effectively?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 pm

Jsa725 wrote:perhaps the dean is giving congratulatory handies to stop top students from transferring… YNK

A whole new meaning to "Student Affairs"

PennLaw16

Postby PennLaw16 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:30 pm

calibleu wrote:

I apologize for being overly harsh. I kind of thought this was a troll thread, but your responses have proven otherwise.

I don't blame you for law school increasing your anxiety. I'm a naturally relaxed person -- possibly to a fault. I have a tendency to downplay the importance of pretty much everything. But first semester of law school had me seriously doubting myself for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. Everyone seemed to be working harder than me and doing more than me. Obviously that can't be true, but that's how it felt. I set personal highs for anxiety during finals.

But you've got to learn to get that under control. You know you didn't cheat. You know that your grades are above-median. You know that you haven't been arrested for a heinous crime or anything that is going to get you negative attention from the Dean. So chill. None of the worst-case scenarios apply. It's good news or no news. You might be a nervous wreck, but your grades indicate that you're not stupid. So logic your way through.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:59 pm

PennLaw16 wrote:
calibleu wrote:

I apologize for being overly harsh. I kind of thought this was a troll thread, but your responses have proven otherwise.

I don't blame you for law school increasing your anxiety. I'm a naturally relaxed person -- possibly to a fault. I have a tendency to downplay the importance of pretty much everything. But first semester of law school had me seriously doubting myself for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. Everyone seemed to be working harder than me and doing more than me. Obviously that can't be true, but that's how it felt. I set personal highs for anxiety during finals.

But you've got to learn to get that under control. You know you didn't cheat. You know that your grades are above-median. You know that you haven't been arrested for a heinous crime or anything that is going to get you negative attention from the Dean. So chill. None of the worst-case scenarios apply. It's good news or no news. You might be a nervous wreck, but your grades indicate that you're not stupid. So logic your way through.

Thanks! Reading that made me feel much better/more relaxed about the meeting next week! You're right, I definitely need to get the anxiety under control. I think I'll bring up the anxiety thing during my meeting and see if maybe the Dean can point me to any resources that might help, because I'm sure I'm not the only one.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm depressed. This thread had so much troll potential. After the third or so post, I was predicting that the Dean would sexually solicit the OP and/or offer to change grades in exchange for cash.

But, alas, the OP appears to be nothing more than a real law student with an anxiety problem. Fuck.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:I'm depressed. This thread had so much troll potential. After the third or so post, I was predicting that the Dean would sexually solicit the OP and/or offer to change grades in exchange for cash.

But, alas, the OP appears to be nothing more than a real law student with an anxiety problem. Fuck.

lol sorry to disappoint!

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 pm

The email is somewhat strange and there's nothing wrong with your question. I'm not sure why people have responded with hostility.

I know other people who have yet to check their grades, though I'm not sure they've done so because they are afraid (you weren't really "scared," were you?).

Also, your grades are excellent (probably in or around the cum laude range), so I doubt you're in trouble for getting poor grades.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 pm

You're paying 50K in tuition?

Retake

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:54 pm

LexLeon wrote:The email is somewhat strange and there's nothing wrong with your question. I'm not sure why people have responded with hostility.

I know other people who have yet to check their grades, though I'm not sure they've done so because they are afraid (you weren't really "scared," were you?).

Also, your grades are excellent (probably in or around the cum laude range), so I doubt you're in trouble for getting poor grades.

Yeah I thought the email was a little strange too - it literally said that she wanted to speak to me about an "opportunity," with no other details or information. That's why I immediately assumed the worst.

I don't know if I was scared, but I was definitely nervous, since there is so much riding on these 1L fall grades, you know?

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:You're paying 50K in tuition?

Retake

Retake what? The LSAT? I think it's too late for that at this point. It's a lot of money, but I'd rather pay sticker at a good school, then pay less tuition at a lower-ranked school.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:06 pm

It's inevitably going to be something completely anticlimatic.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:10 pm

calibleu wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You're paying 50K in tuition?

Retake

Retake what? The LSAT? I think it's too late for that at this point. It's a lot of money, but I'd rather pay sticker at a good school, then pay less tuition at a lower-ranked school.

Something tells me this school is way more of an SMU than it is a Columbia. Just a hunch.

Anyway, try to relax. That's just general life advice that transcends this thread.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:25 pm

You're striving to become a legal professional... right? Start working on your communication.
Send another e-mail asking the associate dean what it's all about. Ask if it's a formal or informal meeting. Ask if there's anything you need to bring to the meeting. There are many ways to have your question answered directly from the source without even asking a direct question.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 pm

I hate law students.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:05 pm

This thread is hilarious

North

Postby North » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 pm

OP 100% needs to report back with what the meeting was actually about.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:20 pm

If you cannot check your grades due to anxiety, how are you going to handle the extreme stresses of actually being a lawyer (especially when there are millions of dollars or someone's freedom at stake)?

I'm 100% serious.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

lawdawg09 wrote:If you cannot check your grades due to anxiety, how are you going to handle the extreme stresses of actually being a lawyer (especially when there are millions of dollars or someone's freedom at stake)?

I'm 100% serious.

Oh get over yourself

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

patogordo wrote:
lawdawg09 wrote:If you cannot check your grades due to anxiety, how are you going to handle the extreme stresses of actually being a lawyer (especially when there are millions of dollars or someone's freedom at stake)?

I'm 100% serious.

Oh get over yourself

+1

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”