Associate Dean Wants to See Me? (1L)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
calibleu

Associate Dean Wants to See Me? (1L)

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:02 pm

So I got an email yesterday from the Associate Dean of Student Affairs, stating that she wanted to see me to discuss some kind of opportunity. The email was incredibly vague and I won't be able to meet with her until next week. Does anyone have any idea what this could be about (I'm a 1L if that makes any difference)? The last of my grades just came out yesterday, but I've been too chicken to check them yet, so I'm worried that it might be because I failed/did really badly in all my classes.

Any input on what she would want to see me for would be helpful!

daleearnhardt123

Re: Associate Dean Wants to See Me? (1L)

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 pm

calibleu wrote:So I got an email yesterday from the Associate Dean of Student Affairs, stating that she wanted to see me to discuss some kind of opportunity. The email was incredibly vague and I won't be able to meet with her until next week. Does anyone have any idea what this could be about? I have some means of determining what this is about, but would rather ask an online forum what their opinions are, and on top of that, would rather not even give them what little information I have which might be useful
Any input on what she would want to see me for would be helpful!

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Check your grades you rube.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:23 pm

North wrote:...

I know, I will! I was about to but then the email freaked me out. I just wanted to know whether anyone else has ever been singled out and asked to meet with an Associate Dean because of bad grades? Is that a thing that happens? I was just curious if someone had a similar experience after their 1L semester and what it was about.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:24 pm

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 pm

sublime wrote:Check your grades, then come back.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm

sublime wrote:
calibleu wrote:

I know, I will! I was about to but then the email freaked me out. I just wanted to know whether anyone else has ever been singled out and asked to meet with an Associate Dean because of bad grades? Is that a thing that happens? I was just curious if someone had a similar experience after their 1L semester and what it was about.

Check your grades, then come back.

Just checked: I got a 3.7.

Now, can anyone tell me (regardless of what grades you got), whether an Associate Dean from Student Affairs has ever contacted you for any reason and what that reason was? Thanks!
Last edited by calibleu on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm

calibleu wrote:
sublime wrote:
calibleu wrote:

Check your grades, then come back.

Just checked: I got a 3.5. [top 33%]

Now, can anyone tell me (regardless of what grades you got), whether an Associate Dean from Student Affairs has ever contacted you for any reason and what that reason was? Thanks!

What is the median at your school?

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm so confused. Would the Associate Dean email me personally just to put me in academic counseling or something to get better grades? Has anyone gotten bad grades and been called in for that reason? Is that something that law school student affairs offices do? I'm nervous.
Last edited by calibleu on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:06 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:You could always respond to the email and ask what she'd like to meet with you about... In your OP, you said that she mentioned an "opportunity." If I had to hazard a guess, I'd assume that the email sounds positive.

Do you think I could send a follow-up email? I kind of panicked and emailed her right back with when I could meet (she gave me 2-3 options) but she never emailed me back--not sure if I can send another email asking for more details.

The email sounded positive but it was so vague! I'm worried that the "opportunity" will be something like "an exciting peer support group for underachievers" or "mandatory academic counseling." But would an Associate Dean really waste her time with something like this instead of another staff member? (Also, not sure if this is relevant but my 1L class size is about 400 full-time students, plus around 70 PT students).

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 pm

JUST GO MEET WITH THE FUCKING DEAN

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 pm

patogordo wrote:JUST GO MEET WITH THE FUCKING DEAN

My meeting is not until late next week. The only reason I asked on this forum is because I was wondering if anyone else has ever gotten a similar email and what it was about. If it's going to be something negative like mandatory academic counseling, or a support group, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it going into the meeting.

Obviously, I won't know exactly what it's about until I meet with her, but I still want to know what the possibilities could be and I wasn't sure where else to ask. I checked the student affairs page online but the office covers a wide range of things: orientation, honor code, scholarships, writing competitions, academic counseling, accommodations for students with disabilities, personal counseling, student organizations, etc. So it's not exactly easy to know what I'm going in for.
Last edited by calibleu on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:You could always respond to the email and ask what she'd like to meet with you about... In your OP, you said that she mentioned an "opportunity." If I had to hazard a guess, I'd assume that the email sounds positive.

Responding to them email? Madness.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

this isn't mad max. we aren't beyond thunderdome. she's not going to strap you to a giant death wheel when you walk into her office. you don't need to be mentally prepared for anything. if you're curious, just email her back. holy shit.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Jesus Christ

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 pm

patogordo wrote:this isn't mad max. we aren't beyond thunderdome. she's not going to strap you to a giant death wheel when you walk into her office. you don't need to be mentally prepared for anything. if you're curious, just email her back. holy shit.

I know it won't be life-or-death. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience, that's all. I'm sorry if it was a stupid question, I just didn't know who else to ask...and as I mentioned before, I already emailed her back and feel slightly awkward sending a second follow-up email a day afterwards asking what the opportunity is.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Jesus Christ

It could be something like meeting with prospective students. Unless you failed a class, which it sounds like you didn't.. It's going to be fine. take a chill pill.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:22 pm

i'm trying to help you out, because being afraid to look at your grades is not healthy. you gotta stop worrying so much about shit you can't change.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

kay2016 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Jesus Christ

It could be something like meeting with prospective students. Unless you failed a class, which it sounds like you didn't.. It's going to be fine. take a chill pill.

So it is possible an Associate Dean would take the time to meet with a student just because of bad grades? I did pretty poorly in one of my courses but it was balanced out by other grades.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 pm

Has anyone ever received an email from their law school? Anyone?! ANYONE?!?! What did you do!!!!????

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:33 pm

patogordo wrote:i'm trying to help you out, because being afraid to look at your grades is not healthy. you gotta stop worrying so much about shit you can't change.

I know but I can't help it! I was never this nervous about college grades, but I guess all of the discussion about 1L semester grades being the most important/not getting a job if you don't have perfect grades/dropping out if you don't have a 4.0 has gotten to me.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

calibleu wrote:
patogordo wrote:i'm trying to help you out, because being afraid to look at your grades is not healthy. you gotta stop worrying so much about shit you can't change.

I know but I can't help it! I was never this nervous about college grades, but I guess all of the discussion about 1L semester grades being the most important/not getting a job if you don't have perfect grades/dropping out if you don't have a 4.0 has gotten to me.

worrying about grades is fine. in fact, it's pretty much the only thing you should worry about 1L year.

worrying about viewing your already-set-in-stone grades because you're afraid of what they might be is not fine.

calibleu

Postby calibleu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm

patogordo wrote:
calibleu wrote:

worrying about grades is fine. in fact, it's pretty much the only thing you should worry about 1L year.

worrying about viewing your already-set-in-stone grades because you're afraid of what they might be is not fine.

Yeah I get what you mean. The email from the dean and the grades being posted coincided, so I think that also contributed to my general anxiety about the situation.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 pm

it's alright, dude, it happens to the best of us. but that kind of stuff leads to really bad habits like going dark for days on email because you know you fucked something up and are afraid to hear about it, etc. you'll be alright.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”