B, B, B- at Columbia, Drop Out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYCscrewup

B, B, B- at Columbia, Drop Out?

Postby NYCscrewup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey y'all,

So I really don't know what happened, but I somehow managed to pull two Bs and a B- for my first semester at CLS. As I have (had?) grandiose dreams of working in entertainment law at some point in my life, I've been pretty much Big Law or bust for the past few years. However, now that it appears I am headed for a guaranteed strikeout at OCI, I feel completely lost and am seriously considering dropping out. I received over half tuition scholarships for both 1l and 2l, and about a third tuition scholly for 3l, but the debt still scares me.

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone.
Last edited by NYCscrewup on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Re: B, B, B- at Columbia, Drop Out?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Don't drop out. Talk to your profs, find out what you did wrong, and stick it out for one more semester. You aren't tanked at OCI yet, especially if you have any post-grad WE or connections.

45% of the class are getting Bs and below. We have an 80-85% EIP rate. This is deceptive because of transfers & obviously better offers are clustered at higher gpas, but some people in the bottom third still get biglaw (while some in the middle third still strike out). Definitely see what happened with the B- (since that means you had to do something specifically wrong, not just fall on one side of the curve). Change up your study habits, but dont give up yet.

One A, a couple A- and B+'s this semester and you'll be back at median. You arent getting V20 or artIII, but I wouldn't drop out of CLS yet especially with your scholarship

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I think jbagelboy nailed it. You're not completely screwed. Columbia is a good enough school employment-wise that if you can get up to median, you'll probably be fine.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Definitely stick it out another semester. You're a long way from a guaranteed strike out

NYCscrewup

Postby NYCscrewup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I definitely needed it. *grudgingly slumps away from cliff*

Taus11

Postby Taus11 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Last edited by Taus11 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wearthewildthingsr

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:39 pm

where's the usual tls douchebaggery pessimism? Listen op columbia's the new cooley. there's no way you'll ever be able to get a job. /sarcasm

but seriously you're all good.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Wearthewildthingsr wrote:where's the usual tls douchebaggery pessimism? Listen op columbia's the new cooley. there's no way you'll ever be able to get a job. /sarcasm

all good is probably wildly optimistic. probably somewhere between those two extremes you outlined.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Taus11 wrote:Who actually gives out B-s? Thought they were discretionary.

Kill it this term!

A lot of profs give B-'s. I gather they are roughly as frequent as A's

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Kill it this term!

There have been more B-s than I expected, but As are almost certainly more frequent.

To OP, I'll echo what everyone else said—especially with your scholarship, it's worth at least seeing what you can do this semester. Meet with your professors, work on improving your exam taking, and rock it (you'll have the benefit of the elective curve for one of those grades, too!) like you're totally capable of doing :)

(I'll also shamelessly plug the CLS TLS FB group, if you PM one of the 1Ls we're happy to have you and we're going to do brunch... Just saying :) )

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 am

lunaraeon wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Kill it this term!

There have been more B-s than I expected, but As are almost certainly more frequent.

To OP, I'll echo what everyone else said—especially with your scholarship, it's worth at least seeing what you can do this semester. Meet with your professors, work on improving your exam taking, and rock it (you'll have the benefit of the elective curve for one of those grades, too!) like you're totally capable of doing :)

(I'll also shamelessly plug the CLS TLS FB group, if you PM one of the 1Ls we're happy to have you and we're going to do brunch... Just saying :) )

This is fair, but I'd also point out that from our conversations, it seems like your section's profs made more of an effort at a friendlier curve last semester than some of ours... no firsthand evidence for individuals on B-'s because people don't talk about it, and rightly so, but I did snag a glance at Kraus's stack of raw score grades corresponding to the A - F scale matched with test #'s when I was reviewing my exam near his office. Motherfucker rained down them shit grades

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 am

Please don't drop out of Columbia. The whole reason these board members espouse going to a school like that is because someone in your position can still be highly competitive.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Kill it this term!

This is fair, but I'd also point out that from our conversations, it seems like your section's profs made more of an effort at a friendlier curve last semester than some of ours... no firsthand evidence for individuals on B-'s because people don't talk about it, and rightly so, but I did snag a glance at Kraus's stack of raw score grades corresponding to the A - F scale matched with test #'s when I was reviewing my exam near his office. Motherfucker rained down them shit grades

Yeah, but it seems like Kraus is on the bad side of grades as much as my professors were on the good side, and also that he was in the minority. Combined with the curve mandating a certain number of grades in the A/A- and B+ ranges, and I feel B-s will still be comparatively rarer. If they aren't, our median would likely be much lower, no?

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm

stillwater wrote:
Wearthewildthingsr wrote:where's the usual tls douchebaggery pessimism? Listen op columbia's the new cooley. there's no way you'll ever be able to get a job. /sarcasm

all good is probably wildly optimistic. probably somewhere between those two extremes you outlined.

I LOL'd

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”