Law School Discrimination!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz

Law School Discrimination!

Postby Connor Benz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm not talking about race or gender and all that kind of discrimination. I'm talking about employees/employers discriminating against you because of the law school you attended. I am well aware that employers base their hiring decisions partly on the school you attended. I'm specifically talking about once you are hired, the firm, other higher ranking members, even associates will start to discriminate against you based on the school you went to. (E.g. partners giving the better cases to associates who went to their law school, etc.)

I am wondering if this true in the employment field. Because if it is, I find it silly and childish. Somebody posted a statement saying that the partners and other lawyers at the firm discriminated against them because of the school that they went to. This is why I decided to start this page. I wanted to see what thoughts people have about this and if this is true.

Lockfast

Re: Law School Discrimination!

Postby Lockfast » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Welcome to the legal profession.

People will always favor people that had the same experiences of them, especially insofar as they attended the same school. Then, when you step into the legal profession, where prestige, to some degree, dominates.. the former favoritism is amplified. So, yes. I've experienced it. I've gotten a job because the lawyer doing the hiring attended my law school, etc.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Connor Benz wrote:I'm not talking about race or gender and all that kind of discrimination. I'm talking about employees/employers discriminating against you because of the law school you attended. I am well aware that employers base their hiring decisions partly on the school you attended. I'm specifically talking about once you are hired, the firm, other higher ranking members, even associates will start to discriminate against you based on the school you went to. (E.g. partners giving the better cases to associates who went to their law school, etc.)

I am wondering if this true in the employment field. Because if it is, I find it silly and childish. Somebody posted a statement saying that the partners and other lawyers at the firm discriminated against them because of the school that they went to. This is why I decided to start this page. I wanted to see what thoughts people have about this and if this is true.

Flame? If you go to Cornell, this is not something you would ever worry about.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Connor Benz wrote:I'm not talking about race or gender and all that kind of discrimination. I'm talking about employees/employers discriminating against you because of the law school you attended. I am well aware that employers base their hiring decisions partly on the school you attended. I'm specifically talking about once you are hired, the firm, other higher ranking members, even associates will start to discriminate against you based on the school you went to. (E.g. partners giving the better cases to associates who went to their law school, etc.)

I actually think this is a potential problem for literally everyone who didn't go to Yale. I've heard of snobby partners treating differently the associates who don't have as impressive of backgrounds. Some firm cultures are particularly grounded in this kind of elitism and will passively let you know you aren't as impressive as other associates. To be fair, this issue more often comes up based on one's ability to secure a clerkship or do good work, but make no mistake that the judgement is there, however ludicrous it may sound.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Tanicius wrote:I've heard of snobby partners treating differently the associates . . . based on one's ability to . . . do good work, but make no mistake that the judgement is there, however ludicrous it may sound.

I read it as this^

Connor Benz

Postby Connor Benz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I could be discriminated against Georgetown Alums, Harvard, Duke, Stanford, perhaps (I went to Cal as an undergrad). So how would you know? This is why I am asking.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Connor Benz wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I could be discriminated against Georgetown Alums, Harvard, Duke, Stanford, perhaps (I went to Cal as an undergrad). So how would you know? This is why I am asking.

Does it happen? Yes. Will it happen to such an extent that you lose employment opportunities at a job you're already working? Probably not, and if it does, then we're talking about a partner who would have been a dick to just about anybody for any number of reasons, which is a risk you take by going into this line of work.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Equal Protection needs to step the fuck up and protect Cornell bros.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”