USC Law: 5-10 Million in Career Earnings

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
antiochus3

USC Law: 5-10 Million in Career Earnings

Postby antiochus3 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 am

With all of the scrutiny on law school employment data these days, I was surprised to see the following claim on USC's website:

No degree from a small, highly ranked, private institution comes without its cost, and USC Law is no exception. Yes, our tuition is high - but so is the return on your investment. Over the course of a career, lawyers in private practice can earn $5 million to $10 million, and USC Law graduates start out with top-rung salaries. Other career choices offer equally generous pay-back in job satisfaction and lasting friendships.

http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/ (may need to scroll through to the "Return on Your Investment" slide)

Now, I am sure that their claim is literally true - attorneys in private practice "can" earn $5-10 million over the course of their careers, but this quote is incredibly dismissive of the real problem that law school cost poses in light of what graduates will most likely earn. Also a bit bold is the site's statement that prospective students should "expect to be lured by jobs throughout the country." However real USC's national placement may be, I doubt many law students today would characterize a national job search as being "lured" by employers across the country (except in the unexceptional sense of finding such jobs attractive).
Last edited by antiochus3 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

brotherdarkness

Re: USC Law: 5-10 Million in Career Earnings

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

antiochus3

Postby antiochus3 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:56 am

I thought that law schools had started to amend their ways. I guess I was wrong...

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 am

antiochus3 wrote:With all of the scrutiny on law school employment data these days, I was surprised to see the following claim on USC's website:

No degree from a small, highly ranked, private institution comes without its cost, and USC Law is no exception. Yes, our tuition is high - but so is the return on your investment. Over the course of a career, lawyers in private practice can earn $5 million to $10 million, and USC Law graduates start out with top-rung salaries. Other career choices offer equally generous pay-back in job satisfaction and last friendships.

lol

Enjoy getting $10 million worth of satisfaction out of contract doc review.

Also, fucking spell check

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am

The low end of 5-10 million in career earnings is achievable by 40 years of $125,000 a year average salary. I think economically that will be achievable for a lot of USC grads. But obviously something like half of every law class is no longer practicing after 10 years. So I agree that it's misleading, but I guess to me the main point is that 5 million seems like a lot of money when you ignore inflation, income tax, and the fact that it's accrued over four full decades.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:33 am

Either the school administration is stupid to write such things or they are evil. They are probably not stupid since they have tons of credentials, make tons of money and are quite successful, so they must be evil.

North

Postby North » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:50 am

USC wrote:Other career choices offer equally generous pay-back in job satisfaction and lasting friendships

LOL. Just LOL at this.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:12 am

First job as a prospective attorney - parsing through shit like this

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
antiochus3 wrote:With all of the scrutiny on law school employment data these days, I was surprised to see the following claim on USC's website:

No degree from a small, highly ranked, private institution comes without its cost, and USC Law is no exception. Yes, our tuition is high - but so is the return on your investment. Over the course of a career, lawyers in private practice can earn $5 million to $10 million, and USC Law graduates start out with top-rung salaries. Other career choices offer equally generous pay-back in job satisfaction and last friendships.

lol

Enjoy getting $10 million worth of satisfaction out of contract doc review.

Also, fucking spell check

Aw, last friendships. Is that before they jump off a bridge?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”