B+/B+/B-/B/A+ at T25

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawstoodentt

B+/B+/B-/B/A+ at T25

Postby lawstoodentt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm

I guess like many on here, I'm wondering if I still have a chance at big law.
I came into law school with only corporate law in mind and knew my chances were slim but possible from my school if I was in the top 20% and up. It seems like, with my dismal GPA of 3.28, that my chances are incredibly lower. Using the class rank estimator, it seems that I'm in the top 65%.

What should I do? Will doing incredibly well in my second semester improve my eligibility for OCI in the fall or should I give up and attempt to do law in the public interest sector instead. I still want to be a lawyer and I do not plan on dropping out, at least not now.

sublime

Re: B+/B+/B-/B/A+ at T25

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:18 pm

lawstoodentt

Postby lawstoodentt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:23 pm

About $77k -- small scholarship.

I'm not sure about the OCI information.

~27%

Yeah, I believe so.

I did only want big law, but it's clear my opportunity in that field is not that great. I wouldn't mind working for the government or perhaps some work in juvenile justice. However, because of my mindset of corporate (business law), I have not yet looked to those avenues for summer jobs, etc.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 pm

lawstoodentt

Postby lawstoodentt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm not sure. The A+ is a 3 credit class. The B- is a 4 credit class.
I used the Class Rank Estimator on TLS here. I'm either slightly below median or at the median.

I'll definitely ask the 2Ls/3Ls

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 pm

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 pm

sublime wrote:Maybe check to see if your school has previous cutoffs online, mine has like a decade of them.

Because before trying to figure out the real shit, a better idea of your grades and obstacles (OCI process) would be helpful.

Agreed. If you google your school name along with "grade rank" or something like that, you might find something. That's how I find mine (which is on the registrar's site, but I think google is easier than navigating the site).

You might also want to consider if BigLaw is the only option you want. For corporate, there are options that are not BigLaw. For this summer, look at working in house somewhere - it is paid, looked at well (especially if with a big name company), many of them do not care about your grades as much, and it can help with connections. If you can be a research assistant part time as well, I recommend that with a well known corporate professor at your school - if you do good work and get close with them, they will likely help. If nothing else, having them as a reference will look great.

If your school has an advising program, ask some of the 2Ls and 3Ls in that (or any others you are close with) - they likely won't mind sharing their experience and/or asking others for you. This also likely depends on what markets you are looking at, I would expect.

Is the $77k your total loans? If not, what are your current loans and what will your total be after law school?

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:06 pm

At my T20, there a lot of people in the top quartile (3.6 GPA+) who completely struck out at OCI.

On the other hand, there were people in the top 1/3 who received OCI offers from mid to big law firms.

Definitely check if firms set hard cut-offs at your school.

But if you can pull your GPA to the top 1/3 to top 25% range after spring semester, that of course will help your OCI chances.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”