3.06 (slightly below median) at T50...what to do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TeaThyme

3.06 (slightly below median) at T50...what to do?

Postby TeaThyme » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 am

So I, like many posters, did not do that well first semester. I am especially worried now because I only got a B in contracts, which I thought I knew the best. I went straight from undergrad to law school, which I now think was a serious mistake, as I don't think I was really ready. I do have a scholarship, so my tuition is about $11,000 a year plus living expenses, and it has low GPA requirements so I won't lose it. I have not yet paid tuition for this semester, and still have a couple weeks to do so. I have a BA in History, so not a lot of alternate job prospects. I am not even sure if I really want to be a lawyer. I certainly don't hate law (except for crim) but I don't feel like I have a real passion for it either. I did not work hard at all last semester, so I can improve in that sense. But I'm not sure I have the drive to do better this semester. Basically another thread where I really don't know what to do, and looking for advice.

BigZuck

Re: 3.06 (slightly below median) at T50...what to do?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:58 am

Don't particularly enjoy law school, don't particularly want to be a lawyer, below average grades-

I would drop out. I don't see a whole lot of benefit to staying and getting into more debt with nothing to show for it or a job you don't want.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 am

So, assuming $12k /yr living expenses and factoring in some interest, your debt will probably be about $70k when you graduate? That's not unmanageable. The bigger problem, as the above poster suggests, is that you aren't certain this is the right profession for you. I'd recommend grinding through one more semester and seeing how you feel about your summer job, since actual practice is different from law school. If it's a bust, then drop out before 2L starts.

TeaThyme

Postby TeaThyme » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 pm

I am also worried that this is just me being lazy essentially, and panicking about employment and real life. I am also worried about how to do better this semester, as if I did better I would definitely be happier. I super slacked off last semester, but I'm worried simply working harder won't make me do better. I am increasingly thinking waiting to finish the year would be best though, because I am just barely below median, and since I didn't try at all (as in I didn't do any of the reading or pay attention in crim, and only studied for like the day before for exams, wrote long memo in about 12 hours including research...) that with actual work I might do okay.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Sounds like you did the absolute minimal amount of work (and that's being generous) and still ended up above a 3.0. I would assume that actually working hard this semester will almost certainly increase your grades. Work hard smart this semester and see where you end up at the end of the year.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Sounds like you'll do fine if you put in the effort. But you have to WANT to put in the effort. Speaking from experience, if you can't summon the motivation, you will be miserable and not improve. Since your debt load isn't crazy, I'd finish out the semester. Start thinking about how much the jobs you can get with a history BA will suck (if you can even get one) and see if that helps.

TeaThyme

Postby TeaThyme » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I talked to a friend who has taken time off before med school after she bombed the MCAT, and she is working crappy low paying jobs, so that is definitely some incentive there. With my scholarship in mind, it seems wisest to stay, now I just need to make sure I do better and actually put in some effort.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Better to work crappy low wage jobs w/o 100k+ in debt than otherwise. And it's not about working hard but working smart. Good luck!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”