Grades are back and I'm in trouble. What should I do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
papercut

Re: Grades are back and I'm in trouble. What should I do?

Postby papercut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jrd93 wrote:A well written guide about T14 and LRAP programs. Although there may have been some changes, I suggest taking a look at it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211835

Also, Army JAG pays $65,000 towards loan repayment and after 10 years, at least under IBR, you can take advantage of the PSLF. I know for hiring, grades
aren't the be all end all so if you can show commitment, are physically fit, and pull up your grades this next semester, I think you might have a fighting chance. I'm specifically talking about Army AD only. Your grades will, most likely, make it very hard to receive Air Force and Navy AD.

Just a thought.

Yeah just do jag bro!!!

Lol

Use your head dude this is terrible advice

Why don't you tell us why it's terrible advice?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 pm

papercut wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
jrd93 wrote:A well written guide about T14 and LRAP programs. Although there may have been some changes, I suggest taking a look at it.

Also, Army JAG pays $65,000 towards loan repayment and after 10 years, at least under IBR, you can take advantage of the PSLF. I know for hiring, grades
aren't the be all end all so if you can show commitment, are physically fit, and pull up your grades this next semester, I think you might have a fighting chance. I'm specifically talking about Army AD only. Your grades will, most likely, make it very hard to receive Air Force and Navy AD.

Just a thought.

Yeah just do jag bro!!!

Lol

Deciding to stick around and pay another six figures of debt banking that one single employer (even if it is the US Army) is going to hire you is not a good idea statistically speaking.

ETA: And JAG is competitive.

presh

Postby presh » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm

papercut wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=211835

Just a thought.

Yeah just do jag bro!!!

Lol
No

Because JAG is incredibly competitive and might even be more difficult to get than biglaw.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:57 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrd93

Postby jrd93 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Last edited by jrd93 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Can 0L's please stop giving legal employment advice?

See http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170599

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:49 pm

jrd93 wrote:
I don't believe this is necessarily true, of course, depending on what caliber school you attend and I'm certainly not trying to say that JAG is easy to get. But, if OP didn't drop out, (s)he may still have a chance at Army. Although OP already mentioned that health reasons may be an issue, to say that it would be harder to get than biglaw is absurd especially given OP's grades and the emphasis on class rank for biglaw hiring during OCI. That definitely runs contrary to the holistic approach taken by the Corps and you will often hear about TTT and TTTT grads who make it with below median grades. Like I said in my previous post, I don't think Air Force or Navy is likely but that's not all that encompasses the JAG Corps.

Anyways, good luck to OP and I wish you the best.

Can someone perma ban this retard?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Can 0L's please stop giving legal employment advice?

See http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170599

This is correct. 0Ls are not supposed to post in his forum. Continuing to do so will result in a ban. (This includes responding to this post.)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 pm

i agree with the other (sensible) sentiments in this thread. you need to find out why you got a D. Ds are exceedingly rare at this level and usually aren't the result of good faith efforts. so see if anything went amiss in the transmission of your exam or your boomer professor didnt have a mini-stroke while grading it, etc.

jthomas.7489

Postby jthomas.7489 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Just a thought.

Just to repeat, this is absolutely terrible advice. There are prior service Army officers who do not receive Army JAG at tier one schools, including people with multiple combat deployments. Obviously some people get JAG, but it is way too competitive to count on it at all, no matter your background.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Pretty much echoing what others have said. A D is devastating and seeing that you're probably a consistent 'B' student in everything else at best, it would be almost impossible to really overcome it. I'm sure your school has an anonymous review/challenge policy and you should definitely look into doing that, but it might have you stuck there for the rest of the spring because if the review process takes a long time all the partial reimbursement deadlines will have probably passed. Now, even if the grade is changed you are likely below median b/c of your other grades. So now you have to consider whether sticking around to challenge the grade is worth it for the career you want/are willing to settle for. I was under the impression that below median at a T10 is not the end of the world but I don't really know that for sure; hopefully someone else can weigh in on that.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 pm

D at NYU/CLS = you need to find out why before you can make any decisions.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:D at NYU/CLS = you need to find out why before you can make any decisions.

There is no D at CLS, fwiw.

Orange_guy

Postby Orange_guy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 am

stillwater wrote:i agree with the other (sensible) sentiments in this thread. you need to find out why you got a D. Ds are exceedingly rare at this level and usually aren't the result of good faith efforts. so see if anything went amiss in the transmission of your exam or your boomer professor didnt have a mini-stroke while grading it, etc.

As soon as my professor gets back, I'm definitely going to ask them how I wound up with that grade. It really doesn't make any sense given that I put a lot of effort into preparing for the final and felt very comfortable with the material and exam questions.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 am

Orange_guy wrote:
stillwater wrote:i agree with the other (sensible) sentiments in this thread. you need to find out why you got a D. Ds are exceedingly rare at this level and usually aren't the result of good faith efforts. so see if anything went amiss in the transmission of your exam or your boomer professor didnt have a mini-stroke while grading it, etc.

As soon as my professor gets back, I'm definitely going to ask them how I wound up with that grade. It really doesn't make any sense given that I put a lot of effort into preparing for the final and felt very comfortable with the material and exam questions.

I don't know if confronting the professor is TCR just yet. Here, if you go directly to the prof your anonymity is blown and you can't get your grade changed for that reason. We have a two to three step process that is conducted through the registrar's office. Go to your registrar first and see what the official process for having an exam reviewed is, b/c I would hate for you to screw yourself over by not going about it correctly.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 am

cynthia rose wrote:
Orange_guy wrote:

I don't know if confronting the professor is TCR just yet. Here, if you go directly to the prof your anonymity is blown and you can't get your grade changed for that reason. We have a two to three step process that is conducted through the registrar's office. Go to your registrar first and see what the official process for having an exam reviewed is, b/c I would hate for you to screw yourself over by not going about it correctly.

the above is credited. your school should have a review process and its always best to start with the registrar for the reasons outlined above.

Orange_guy

Postby Orange_guy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 am

stillwater wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:
Orange_guy wrote:

the above is credited. your school should have a review process and its always best to start with the registrar for the reasons outlined above.

I think it's already too late for that. I sent my professor an email asking to chat about the grade or discuss it in some way.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

jthomas.7489 wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=211835

Just a thought.

Just to repeat, this is absolutely terrible advice. There are prior service Army officers who do not receive Army JAG at tier one schools, including people with multiple combat deployments. Obviously some people get JAG, but it is way too competitive to count on it at all, no matter your background.

Prior serviceman here. I agree, terrible advice!
Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 am

How often do grade "transcription" errors come up? I feel like it is rare, but not entirely impossible because professors are human and could get mixed up matching exam ID numbers with student ID numbers.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Lumieres wrote:How often do grade "transcription" errors come up? I feel like it is rare, but not entirely impossible because professors are human and could get mixed up matching exam ID numbers with student ID numbers.

I dont know how often its that kind of error. But it happens not infrequently enough that the professor will not receive the whole exam as transmitted by whatever exam software the student was using.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 pm

OP, how much debt are you in now? If you do another semester?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Twice in undergrad a professor made a "clerical" error in reporting my final grade as A- instead of A. Both times I successfully had it changed, but I had records from exams and papers to show what my grade should have been, which obviously one doesn't have as a 1L. That was out of give or take 35 classes. Im sure the same shit happens in law school too, but at a low enough frequency that you shouldn't bank on a low grade being in error.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm

I know someone who went to a TTTT that had a 1L grade changed due to a clerical error (prof submitted the grade incorrectly). Figured I'd at least give you a ray of hope until you talk to the prof/someone in the administration.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm

keg411 wrote:I know someone who went to a TTTT that had a 1L grade changed due to a clerical error (prof submitted the grade incorrectly). Figured I'd at least give you a ray of hope until you talk to the prof/someone in the administration.

Thanks. I do have some hope, considering my exam id number could play tricks on the mind. I just can't imagine so many of my classmates doing so much better than me in one class and not the others.

Orange_guy

Postby Orange_guy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks to all who responded. I did talk with my professor, and as it turns out, the grade was not mistake. Additionally, my school does not offer a formal review process, so I am stuck with the mark. Because of this and after chatting with administrators and my family, I have decided to withdraw. It's not what I would like to do, but it is the best decision for me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”