Grades are back and I'm in trouble. What should I do? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Grades are back and I'm in trouble. What should I do?

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Orange_guy wrote:Thanks to all who responded. I did talk with my professor, and as it turns out, the grade was not mistake. Additionally, my school does not offer a formal review process, so I am stuck with the mark. Because of this and after chatting with administrators and my family, I have decided to withdraw. It's not what I would like to do, but it is the best decision for me.
Brave choice. Best of luck

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Orange_guy wrote:Thanks to all who responded. I did talk with my professor, and as it turns out, the grade was not mistake. Additionally, my school does not offer a formal review process, so I am stuck with the mark. Because of this and after chatting with administrators and my family, I have decided to withdraw. It's not what I would like to do, but it is the best decision for me.
So sorry to hear that! :( You've made the best decision for your situation, however. I hope everything works out with whatever you decide to do in the future.

Joron

New

Post by Joron » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:30 pm

LAW OFFICE STUDY/CLERKSHIP

New York is one of only a few jurisdictions that permits an applicant to qualify to take the bar examination on the basis of some law school study combined with law office study or clerkship. Section 520.4 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals sets forth the eligibility requirements for law office study. Interested applicants are urged to carefully review the requirements of Section 520.3 To qualify to take the bar examination on the basis of law office study under Section 520.4, the applicant must demonstrate:

that applicant commenced the study of law after applicant's 18th birthday; and
the applicant successfully completed the prescribed requirements of the first year of full-time study in a first degree in law program at an ABA approved law school, whether attending full-time or part-time, earning a minimum of 28 credit hours (the threshold period);
that applicant thereafter studied law in a law office or offices located within New York State under the supervision of one or more attorneys admitted to practice law in New York State, for such a period of time as, together with the credit allowed pursuant to this section for attendance in an approved law school, shall aggregate four years.

After carefully reviewing rule, the applicant should submit a written request for an evaluation of eligibility to the Board office. In addition to making this written request, an applicant must have his or her law school or schools submit the following directly to the board:

an original and official transcript; and
a written statement from an authorized official which includes verification that the applicant was in good standing, not on academic probation and was eligible to continue in its degree program at the conclusion of the threshold period and also at the conclusion of all subsequent semesters.

Upon receipt of the request for an evaluation together with the required supporting documentation, the Board will determine whether the applicant meets the threshold criteria under Section 520.4 and issue a written determination in due course.

If an applicant meets the threshold criteria, the Board will then determine how much credit toward the four year requirement the applicant should receive for their law school study, and notify the applicant how many weeks of law office study must be completed before the applicant may apply for the bar examination. Next, the applicant must obtain a position as a law clerk/student in a law office, and have the attorney with whom he or she is working complete and file a Certificate of Commencement of Law Office Study with the Court of Appeals.

The Court's Address:
Clerk
Court of Appeals
20 Eagle Street
Albany, NY 12207

Please note: NO credit is given for any law office work that was engaged in PRIOR to the applicant's completion of the threshold period at law school OR the filing of the Certificate of Commencement.

The applicant must study law in the law office under the supervision of an attorney who is admitted to practice law in New York for a period of four years. (Credit toward this four year requirement is given for successfully completed semesters in an ABA approved law school.) Once the required period of law office study is completed, the applicant is eligible to apply for the New York State bar examination. When applying for the bar examination, the applicant and the attorney or attorneys responsible for the law office study both must complete affidavits.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 pm

^WTF is this?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:41 pm

presh wrote:^WTF is this?
They joined over a year ago and we're patiently waiting for the perfect opportunity to post that. Witness greatness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Sorry to hear that OP. Best wishes for where you go from here.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 am

You made the right decision.

I know it's a bit morbid, but are you willing to share how the professor explained the D? I'm genuinely curious.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:

I know it's a bit morbid, but are you willing to share how the professor explained the D? I'm genuinely curious.
+1

Orange_guy

New

Post by Orange_guy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:16 am

papercut wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

+1
What it essentially came down to was me misunderstanding two of the questions, so my answers were completely wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 am

Orange_guy wrote:
papercut wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

+1
What it essentially came down to was me misunderstanding two of the questions, so my answers were completely wrong.
No points for nice analysis on a wrong topic? Shiiiit, you'd think you had at least demonstrated some knowledge of criminal law above a D.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 pm

yeah sounds like the professor kind of boned you. My friend did something similar (basically responded to a different question than what was asked). The professor thought the answer was pretty impressive and give him a B+. Sorry to hear about your situation OP. Good luck w/ whatever else you decide to do

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Joron wrote:LAW OFFICE STUDY/CLERKSHIP

New York is one of only a few jurisdictions that permits an applicant to qualify to take the bar examination on the basis of some law school study combined with law office study or clerkship. Section 520.4 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals sets forth the eligibility requirements for law office study. Interested applicants are urged to carefully review the requirements of Section 520.3 To qualify to take the bar examination on the basis of law office study under Section 520.4, the applicant must demonstrate:

that applicant commenced the study of law after applicant's 18th birthday; and
the applicant successfully completed the prescribed requirements of the first year of full-time study in a first degree in law program at an ABA approved law school, whether attending full-time or part-time, earning a minimum of 28 credit hours (the threshold period);
that applicant thereafter studied law in a law office or offices located within New York State under the supervision of one or more attorneys admitted to practice law in New York State, for such a period of time as, together with the credit allowed pursuant to this section for attendance in an approved law school, shall aggregate four years.

After carefully reviewing rule, the applicant should submit a written request for an evaluation of eligibility to the Board office. In addition to making this written request, an applicant must have his or her law school or schools submit the following directly to the board:

an original and official transcript; and
a written statement from an authorized official which includes verification that the applicant was in good standing, not on academic probation and was eligible to continue in its degree program at the conclusion of the threshold period and also at the conclusion of all subsequent semesters.

Upon receipt of the request for an evaluation together with the required supporting documentation, the Board will determine whether the applicant meets the threshold criteria under Section 520.4 and issue a written determination in due course.

If an applicant meets the threshold criteria, the Board will then determine how much credit toward the four year requirement the applicant should receive for their law school study, and notify the applicant how many weeks of law office study must be completed before the applicant may apply for the bar examination. Next, the applicant must obtain a position as a law clerk/student in a law office, and have the attorney with whom he or she is working complete and file a Certificate of Commencement of Law Office Study with the Court of Appeals.

The Court's Address:
Clerk
Court of Appeals
20 Eagle Street
Albany, NY 12207

Please note: NO credit is given for any law office work that was engaged in PRIOR to the applicant's completion of the threshold period at law school OR the filing of the Certificate of Commencement.

The applicant must study law in the law office under the supervision of an attorney who is admitted to practice law in New York for a period of four years. (Credit toward this four year requirement is given for successfully completed semesters in an ABA approved law school.) Once the required period of law office study is completed, the applicant is eligible to apply for the New York State bar examination. When applying for the bar examination, the applicant and the attorney or attorneys responsible for the law office study both must complete affidavits.
Inapplicable to OP because he withdrew and thus did not successfully complete one year of law school. But OP's decision apprears to be the right choice for him and I wish OP the very best on his future endeavors.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow. A D for that? That would seem like a C to me. To me, a D would basically be going into the exam and writing, "Fuck you." as the answer. Bit of a dick of a professor it sounds like.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 am

Sorry to hear about you withdrawing. I feel whatever decision someone makes is what is right for THEIR situation. I don't think others should comment negatively if someone does something that they personally wouldn't do, but we know how TLS operates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”