Emailing random Alumni who have jobs.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
guano

Re: Emailing random Alumni who have jobs.

Postby guano » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:49 pm

fluffythepenguin wrote:Related question: If a first email goes unanswered, can I send a follow up email just in case they missed it (eg. the first email was sent over the holiday break)?

Probably not the end of the world to do once, but, realistically, you should look at it as a numbers game: 100 emails -> 10 responses -> 5 meetings -> 1 of which was useful
(Note: nbers pulled out of my ass)
Rather than re-email someone who didn't respond, just email another alumnus.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm just going to add that if you are emailing public interest people about jobs, do not expect them to pay.

Connor Benz

Postby Connor Benz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I'm just going to add that if you are emailing public interest people about jobs, do not expect them to pay.

WOW...generalizing much? Not all public interest attorneys are broke.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Connor Benz wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I'm just going to add that if you are emailing public interest people about jobs, do not expect them to pay.

No, but they're not going to be expensing the meal/coffee, which is what the biglaw attorneys are doing. It's easy to pay for someone else when it's not coming out of your own pocket.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Connor Benz wrote:

He didn't say they won't, just not to expect it

It's A Lion

Postby It's A Lion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Connor Benz wrote:Ok I think I got it, and you guys can tell me if I am wrong

There is nothing wrong with emailing random alums.
However, the purpose should be to get information about the firm and a specific area of practice where I can use this information in a interview with the same firm or a another firm that does the same type of work to sound/ appear knowledgable.

In the end of all, an email to an Alum will not equate a job, but it will enhance my knowledge of a particular field of interest.

Generally, yeah. However, although unusual, sometimes such interviews can lead to employment.

Random example: a friend set up an informational interview with a partner at a boutique. Right after scheduling the informational interview, but before the meeting, an associate transferred out of the partner's firm. The partner ended up really liking my friend. Midway through, the meeting turned into a job interview and the partner ended up hiring my friend to replace the departing associate.

joban224

Postby joban224 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm a first year and i've gotten quite a few of these already. I don't mind them at all and in fact i'm quite empathetic to these kids since it's how I ultimately got my job, albeit 3 weeks before graduation.

I'm in a very niche practice so generally kids approach me about that, and i'm able to give them a lot of insight based on how I broke in. This usually opens up more insightful conversation.

No one has been stupid enough to directly ask me for a job, but they have asked me about whether we were hiring and in one case it just so happened that we were. So when that person applied, they name-dropped me and got an interview and then recruiting asked if I would recommend them, which I did, and then we offered.

That's the best-case scenario of what can happen from these things, so it's worth it to reach out.

And yeah, I always pay. I consider it lawyerly etiquette.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Connor Benz wrote:

I said don't EXPECT them to pay, not that they all won't.

It's A Lion

Postby It's A Lion » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Connor Benz wrote:

I said don't EXPECT them to pay, not that they all won't.

I.e., grab a coffee/tea with public interest attorneys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”