Where the %#$% are my grades?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Michigan 1L here. I have none of my grades back yet. Email today said it might be February 5th (!) before I get them back.

I didn't give this too much thought prior to now, but it seems absurd and ridiculous that we are expected to start second semester classes, potentially be 2-3 weeks into 2nd semester classes, before getting 1st semester grades back. What if I, or someone else, wants to drop out after doing shit-tasticly? Plus employers are already asking for my grades, some of them essentially saying that I might be putting myself at a disadvantage because I don't have them yet.

This is mostly a rant, but are students at other similarly ranked schools still waiting on grades? Just seems like a complete failure on the part of law schools and another way they screw other their students.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby hichvichwoh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 pm

1 of 4 grades back at gulc

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby LexLeon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 pm

I do wonder why schools don't have a faster timeline for releasing grades. It seems that their students would be at a competitive advantage to have them sooner than students from other schools. There are some 1L summer employers, across sectors, I believe, that won't consider an applicant before seeing her first semester grades.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anori
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby anori » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm

This is a feature, not a bug. They want you to pay tuition before seeing your grades.

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby wwwcol » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 am

nothing back at H either

I understand the conspiracy theories anori, but they don't make as much sense for T6/14 schools. IMO the most likely explanation is laziness/no time pressures on profs

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 am

1 of 4 at Columbia, and the 1 is only a HP/P/F grade. GRRRRRR!!!

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby guano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 am

Tenured professors have no incentive to do their job

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Michigan 1L here. I have none of my grades back yet. Email today said it might be February 5th (!) before I get them back.

I didn't give this too much thought prior to now, but it seems absurd and ridiculous that we are expected to start second semester classes, potentially be 2-3 weeks into 2nd semester classes, before getting 1st semester grades back. What if I, or someone else, wants to drop out after doing shit-tasticly? Plus employers are already asking for my grades, some of them essentially saying that I might be putting myself at a disadvantage because I don't have them yet.

This is mostly a rant, but are students at other similarly ranked schools still waiting on grades? Just seems like a complete failure on the part of law schools and another way they screw other their students.

I think GULC offers to refund tuition. I know for a fact that the school I transferred from would refund 100% if you drop out within 3 weeks. Then it would go down about 10% a week.

POA
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby POA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06 pm

0 /4 - gulc ... Registrar email says that the grades are due today but that profs have a three day grace period after which profs will be subject to so-called "strict" $100 fines . I was hoping to have my grades before this weekend so I could celebrate or mourn appropriately.. I'm not holding my breath though.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:42 pm

POA wrote:0 /4 - gulc ... Registrar email says that the grades are due today but that profs have a three day grace period after which profs will be subject to so-called "strict" $100 fines . I was hoping to have my grades before this weekend so I could celebrate or mourn appropriately.. I'm not holding my breath though.


I thought you were kidding about the penalty. :lol:

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:46 pm

guano wrote:Tenured professors have no incentive to do their job


This is a forum for LAW STUDENTS. Go away.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby nickb285 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm at GULC as well, 0/4 for me. This is a huge pain, I am aiming for a secondary market and want to include my grades in mass mailing if they're good enough, but at this rate OCI for the state flagship back home will happen before I'm able to send out resumes. But, you know, wouldn't want to make the professors have to get grades in before the last week of January or anything. That would be terrible.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I think the laziness of the registrar's office is highly underestimated as well.

We don't have most grades back (all years in same boat), but the issue seems to be the Registrar, not just the profs. One prof, probably tired of queries by students, sent an email to his entire class , cc'ing registrar, that she had submitted grades the first week of break and had no idea why no one had them yet. They were released by Registrar that same day.

But yeah, they like to wait past the full refund deadline, particularly for 1L's. (After that, you pretty much feel pot committed on the amount of money you already gambled on this endeavor.)

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby 20141023 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:17 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Ugh, that's awful. Ours trickle out, allegedly as they come in, but seems to really be as registrar gets around to them. I have 2/5 currently. (and have had for about a week.)

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:34 pm

nickb285 wrote:I'm at GULC as well, 0/4 for me. This is a huge pain, I am aiming for a secondary market and want to include my grades in mass mailing if they're good enough, but at this rate OCI for the state flagship back home will happen before I'm able to send out resumes. But, you know, wouldn't want to make the professors have to get grades in before the last week of January or anything. That would be terrible.


fwiw CW is that in a situation like this you should not hold off on mailing to wait for grades

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby nickb285 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
nickb285 wrote:I'm at GULC as well, 0/4 for me. This is a huge pain, I am aiming for a secondary market and want to include my grades in mass mailing if they're good enough, but at this rate OCI for the state flagship back home will happen before I'm able to send out resumes. But, you know, wouldn't want to make the professors have to get grades in before the last week of January or anything. That would be terrible.


fwiw CW is that in a situation like this you should not hold off on mailing to wait for grades


I won't if they're not here by Tuesday (the penalty deadline). But thanks to a friend in-state, I know there hasn't been any OCI or the like yet, so I feel okay holding off another three days.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby PepperJack » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:32 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
guano wrote:Tenured professors have no incentive to do their job


This is a forum for LAW STUDENTS. Go away.

Ad hominem much? I don't understand why your'e so snobby towards him. If many people should drop out and one of the reasons they don't is because of dropout stigma, it's wrong to shun someone for making the right decision.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby guano » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 am

PepperJack wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
guano wrote:Tenured professors have no incentive to do their job


This is a forum for LAW STUDENTS. Go away.

Ad hominem much? I don't understand why your'e so snobby towards him. If many people should drop out and one of the reasons they don't is because of dropout stigma, it's wrong to shun someone for making the right decision.

nah, it's because he's got nothing good going on in his life, so he makes up for it by putting other peple down

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:02 am

PepperJack wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
guano wrote:Tenured professors have no incentive to do their job


This is a forum for LAW STUDENTS. Go away.

Ad hominem much? I don't understand why your'e so snobby towards him. If many people should drop out and one of the reasons they don't is because of dropout stigma, it's wrong to shun someone for making the right decision.


I don't think you understand what an ad hominem means. That means I'm attacking his personality or other qualities that have nothing to do with his knowledge on the subject. I'm saying that he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about, and dropping out of a terrible law school directly confirms that fact. Guano saying he distrusts the placement power of the entire bottom 14 is total, unsubstantiated bullshit, and should be pointed out as such. He does a disservice to this entire website for his half-cocked, idiot opinions.

guano wrote:
Backpacker wrote:
guano wrote:I doubt the "national placement" of half the T14
Which half?
The half that isn't HYS

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby guano » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Guano saying he distrusts the placement power of the entire bottom 14

not placement power, "national" placement power. Which, if you look at the data, is not an unreasonable assertion

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:42 pm

it is a legitimate question: what are you doing on here all the time batshit?

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby Merylian » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 pm

No grades at Duke yet either. Just the assurance that they will be released "within a reasonable time" after the 15th. Lollll.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Where the %#$% are my grades?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:55 pm

stillwater wrote:it is a legitimate question: what are you doing on here all the time batshit?


He has some messed up compulsion where he HAS to share his opinion, no matter how little he knows about a subject. There's a thread in the lounge about cultures and he's already shit up the thing with his terrible jokes and nonsense opinions. Dudes a weird guy.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blueapple and 7 guests