Update Received Job* 3 Bs, B- Another what do I do thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UVAIce

Bronze

Re: 2 grades released: B, B-. Another what do I do thread.

Post by UVAIce » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 am

Some federal government positions are more "grade sensitive" than top law firms. Others are more holistic. The wide range of government jobs available for lawyers defies a broad generalization of how much grades matter. And let's be honest, they always matter, it's simply the case that grades are not only criteria, which seems to almost be the case when it comes to some law firms.

ClownQuestionBroz

New

Post by ClownQuestionBroz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 am

I would think very hard and seriously about dropping out. The analysis for and against dropping out doesn't bear repeating. But I beg of you, don't stay in because of bs extrinsic factors like family pressure, or concerns about your image. You will kick yourself so hard later.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:I am going to work as hard as I can. Are grades above the median imperative for government jobs or like divorce law? just wondering
One more time, with feeling: 0Ls are not supposed to post in the Law Students forum. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=170599

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm

use the "Ask a Law Student / Graduate" subforum instead, L

whatsnext1

New

Post by whatsnext1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Update: Just got my last two grades back, two B's. Puts me at a 2.931. Median is 3.0. I guess I'm screwed right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm

whatsnext1 wrote:Update: Just got my last two grades back, two B's. Puts me at a 2.931. Median is 3.0. I guess I'm screwed right?

I'd drop out.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 pm

!
Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Black Hat wrote:
whatsnext1 wrote:Update: Just got my last two grades back, two B's. Puts me at a 2.931. Median is 3.0. I guess I'm screwed right?

I am not too better off than you. I have a 3.25 at a T2. However, I WANT to be a lawyer. I love this type of work and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I wouldn't let this GPA (yours/mine) steer me away from that and I certainly wouldn't let anyone here steer me away from that.

Also, getting a state prosecutor/PD job is still within your reach. As others have said they tend to use more of a "holistic" approach to hiring so you aren't in as bad of shape as you think.

To summarize, if your heart is in it, stick with it. Regardless of the debt load. Although I must say I will not have much debt, but even if I did I'd still be sticking around! Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Dude, you are the fucking worst.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:58 pm

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Black Hat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Dude, you are the fucking worst.

Well, "dude", your primitive language, and rudimentary sentence structure is "the worst." Not to mention your flamboyant/eccentric avatar picture is also "the worst." You are adding nothing substantive here, take it somewhere else.
Neither are you, fuckwit. This is the second thread I have seen you shit up by trying to take a contrarian position seemingly for the lulz. Further, how is acknowledging the reality of a person's situation being "Cavalier?" Your fucking pseudo-intellectual prattle is stupid, and what's worse, it could cause someone serious harm. Seriously: find a fire and fucking die in it.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Black Hat wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

At any rate, if he/she wants to be a prosecutor, that debt will be forgiven in 10 years anyway.

I recently had a chat with a person the hiring committee for an ADA job in a suburb of Denver. The job was advertised as entry-level, with a salary of $48K. They got 97 applications. The job went to somebody who already had six years of experience as a prosecutor.

As law graduate debt rises, PSLF becomes an ever-more valuable fringe benefit of government work. This is having predictable effects on the market for these jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Paul Campos wrote:I recently had a chat with a person the hiring committee for an ADA job in a suburb of Denver. The job was advertised as entry-level, with a salary of $48K. They got 97 applications. The job went to somebody who already had six years of experience as a prosecutor.

As law graduate debt rises, PSLF becomes an ever-more valuable fringe benefit of government work. This is having predictable effects on the market for these jobs.
It's his dream, Paul. Awfully cavalier of you to acknowledge facts and shit.

First Offense

Platinum

Re: Update grades released: 3 Bs, B- Another what do I do thread

Post by First Offense » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Honestly, considering the way people in shitty situations but with unrealistic hopes are just looking for anyone to agree with them, this guy should be banned.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Not entirely irrespective of debt. But if it is someone's dream it is their dream. We don't have the hard numbers available. The OP hasn't said exactly how much debt we are talking about. At any rate, if he/she wants to be a prosecutor, that debt will be forgiven in 10 years anyway. Being cavalier to a persons dreams and arrogantly declaring "drop out" isn't solid advice either.
(a) Not all dreams are attainable. I wish I lived in your world, where I could one day walk on the moon, despite having a fear of heights, being susceptible to motion sickness, and a litany of other things that make pursuing my dream a fool's errand.

(b) The debt will be forgiven in 10 years, but OP will be hit with a nice, fat tax bomb. Counting on the government remedying this is not smart.

(c) You make it seem as though becoming a prosecutor is some type of safety net that any law student can fall back on. News flash: it's not.

(d) We're not being cavalier to a person's dreams. OP stepped up to the plate and, to put it bluntly, struck out. Now we're telling OP not to throw good money after bad. It is your advice that is cavalier.

Anyways, bjsesq said it quite succinctly:
bjsesq wrote:Dude, you are the fucking worst.

Not wanting to award black hat any credit, but as of now PSLF does NOT have the tax bomb like the 25 year plan

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Black Hat wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
trying to take a contrarian position

Someone has to take that position, your inability to handle someone disagreeing with you is fascinating.
People disagree with me all the time and I am fine with it. What I'm not fine with is people saying objectively retarded shit that can hurt others. Fuck off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Also, the OP's grades are not that bad. We aren't talking about bottom 10%. He can recover.

He is not beyond all hope as many of you believe.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:35 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:[
Black Hat wrote: A lot of this depends on the exact market, and the exact amount of debt we are talking about. However, if the OP wants to be a lawyer he should do it. And his GPA isn't absolutely terrible either. If they were mostly D's, with maybe one C, I might have a different opinion. However, first semester is arguably the worst and there is still plenty of opportunity to bring the GPA up between now and the BAR.

A simple "drop out" is a little too morose and shortsighted.
Seriously? I'd love to see things from your point of view, but I can't seem to get my head that far up your ass.
This seems out of line. Although I don't agree with everything that BlackHat is writing, I don't think his ideas here are all that outrageous. Why can't people respectfully disagree?

I assume that you (and others) have some kind of personal feud with Black Hat that extends well beyond this thread. If that's the case, perhaps everyone can take a deep breath and not clutter the thread with personal pettiness. The OP deserves better.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”