Update Received Job* 3 Bs, B- Another what do I do thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Black Hat

Bronze

Re: Update grades released: 3 Bs, B- Another what do I do thread

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Black Hat wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:When someone's economic well-being is on the line, spouting off about how you shouldn't pay attention to debt, etc., is dangerous.

I am pretty sure that is not what I am saying at all. But it being waived after 10 years of public service is a fact.
Which is sooooooooooooo easy to get. And that is a fact

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 pm

whatsnext1

New

Post by whatsnext1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to turn this into a heated debate for people to offend one another.

Regarding this comment:
First Offense wrote:Honestly, considering the way people in shitty situations but with unrealistic hopes are just looking for anyone to agree with them, this guy should be banned.
I have not looked for anyone to agree with me because I don't know what I'm going to do. I was asking for advice/help on this matter. I understand my experience is NOT unique, however this is definitely a devastating ordeal for me so have a little more respect please.

I do want to do public service but I recognize the fact that my grades are a complete hindrance towards this endeavor. I know there are two sides to this and I also understand that I do not have a promising probability.

As for the finances portion, I owed $30k coming in to LS and have taken out $50k for this first year (~$40k for tuition and $10k for living). As of right now, with my entire first year of law school, I'm looking at $80k in student loan debt. The spring semester is well underway already and I have sent an email to my financial aid department to see if a refund on tuition is possible.

All this being said, there has been some great advice in here and I really do appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 pm

whatsnext1 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to turn this into a heated debate for people to offend one another.

Regarding this comment:
First Offense wrote:Honestly, considering the way people in shitty situations but with unrealistic hopes are just looking for anyone to agree with them, this guy should be banned.
I have not looked for anyone to agree with me because I don't know what I'm going to do. I was asking for advice/help on this matter. I understand my experience is NOT unique, however this is definitely a devastating ordeal for me so have a little more respect please.

I do want to do public service but I recognize the fact that my grades are a complete hindrance towards this endeavor. I know there are two sides to this and I also understand that I do not have a promising probability.

As for the finances portion, I owed $30k coming in to LS and have taken out $50k for this first year (~$40k for tuition and $10k for living). As of right now, with my entire first year of law school, I'm looking at $80k in student loan debt. The spring semester is well underway already and I have sent an email to my financial aid department to see if a refund on tuition is possible.

All this being said, there has been some great advice in here and I really do appreciate it.
I don't believe that quote was directed at you, OP!

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 pm

You can still bring your grades up! You aren't sunk yet! Good luck!
Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 pm

whatsnext1 wrote:Hey everyone,

Regarding this comment:

Bro, sorry for not making it clear, but I wasn't directing that toward you. I'm very sympathetic to your situation, and wish you the best.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:57 pm

I didn't get good grades and got a state job right after passing the Bar. Just hustle like crazy and get WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Teoeo wrote:I didn't get good grades and got a state job right after passing the Bar. Just hustle like crazy and get WE.
This doesnt seem like the safest approach

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I didn't get good grades and got a state job right after passing the Bar. Just hustle like crazy and get WE.
Yeah, if OP was on a full ride at his state flagship, I can see this as decent advice. But paying near sticker at a T2... The odds are REALLY, REALLY stacked against him.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 pm

If the original plan was anything ambitious (and if you went T2 at >$10k/yr, I really hope it wasn't), your goose is cooked.

If the original plan was to PAYE your ways through your twenties and thirties, you might still be okay as long as you get a job and pray you don't get taxpwned.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Black Hat wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Yeah, if OP was on a full ride at his state flagship, I can see this as decent advice. But paying near sticker at a T2... The odds are REALLY, REALLY stacked against him.
The debt isn't as big an issue if the OP is dead set on public service. Even if you get good grades (and work at a firm) it would still take most people more than 10 years to pay off their debt.

That's assuming OP can get a job in public service. Shouldn't be too challenging even with mediocre grades.
As with most of the bile that so effusively spills from your needle tip sized cranium, basically all of this is somehow false.

Also retake

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:If you went T2 at >$10k/yr.
The OP already said he was taking 40K a year for tuition. Plus 10K for living expenses, and 30K from undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Black Hat wrote:That's assuming OP can get a job in public service. Shouldn't be too challenging even with mediocre grades.
You need to stop saying this, if you're talking about a legal job. It's true that the OP could probably find *something* non-legal in the public sector to qualify for PSLF, but if that's the case, there's no point in going to law school. Public service legal jobs are not easy to get.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 pm

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:31 am

Black Hat wrote:
sublime wrote:
If there is no point in going to be a lawyer, and the only thing continuing going to law school will gain him is the ability to become a lawyer, PLEASE explain exactly how the ability to become a lawyer (which we have established that there is no point in doing) is worth 120k or more plus two years of opp cost, for essentially zero gain.

I was just saying for arguments sake. I don't necessarily believe that.

But presumably after the 10 years in public service one could practice with all their debt forgiven. You'd be a little older, but you could 'eventually' attain your 'dream'. If that is your dream.
So you're suggesting that OP get a job, keep it for 10 years, and have your loans forgiven so that he can attain his dream...

You've got to be fucking kidding me. that's not how this works. Getting a job *period* is difficult. Keeping it for 10 years is hard, and then moving to a new job to achieve his "dream" is laughable.

Are you a 1L? You sound like a 1L...

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:43 am

Black Hat, please go the fuck away. Your idiot "advice" makes my head hurt every time I have to read it.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:37 am

Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”