Need motivation to not drop out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
patspats

Need motivation to not drop out

Postby patspats » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 pm

1L at a lower T14....need motivation to do work/not drop out and go back to my 51K per year job.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Need motivation to not drop out

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 pm

-You're at a great school
-you don't need top grades to get a job
-if you get big law you will be making a starting salary more than 3 times your previous salary
-1st semester 1L is by far the worst semester, so what's ahead is better

wiz

Postby wiz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Models. Bottles.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm

You'll get to add the esq. suffix to your name.

But seriously, why so blue? You're at a great school, and you just got through the toughest part of law school. Does law/legal employment no longer interest you? Do you need to start making money ASAP for other reasons?

patspats

Postby patspats » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Tekrul wrote:You'll get to add the esq. suffix to your name.

But seriously, why so blue? You're at a great school, and you just got through the toughest part of law school. Does law/legal employment no longer interest you? Do you need to start making money ASAP for other reasons?

I'm not sure. I am out of motivation to read and have always really enjoyed working. I guess I'm feeling this way because I feel like i've spent so much time "investing in my future" and working hard that I'm tired of being a student and ready to work.

(I only worked briefly at my previous job, off year job, but they told me they would be happy to have me back if law school didn't work out)

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Overall, it seems like being a lawyer and doing law related work doesn't appeal to you quite so much. I mean, it's fine to not have a definite interest so early in law school, but having a fire for its general direction is pretty much required to get through all the work and reading in law school and then being happy working as a lawyer. So I understand the "needing motivation" aspect of your issue.

It may not be particularly helpful now (as much as it would have been before committing to law school), but do you really want to practice law? If being ready to work and being tired of investing in yourself means taking any job, and not being a lawyer, I can't imagine finishing school and being a lawyer will make you any happier and be worth the debt. Or are you just being impatient about the requirements necessary to get started in the legal field, i.e. 3 year j.d. program?

On the other hand, if this is simply a result of 1) the certainty of your past job vs. the uncertainty of legal employment in the future and 2) the difficulty of schoolwork, I'd say you should stick to moving forwards and not backwards. The promise of a job if law school doesn't work out isn't doing you any good in this respect. Imo, it's tying you down.

I think it would be helpful if you consider that job off the table as a hypothetical exercise for yourself. If you had a choice between dropping out of school and looking for work vs. staying in school and getting into legal employment, which would you do?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:34 pm

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Hookers and cocaine in your future.

Ambi-Turner

Postby Ambi-Turner » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:39 pm

If you enjoy working, why not apply to some of your school's clinics for your 2L year? That will give you something to look forward to this semester, and you'll be able to see if you actually enjoy working as a lawyer. Most of the t14s have a wide range of clinics, so there should be one that lines up with your interests.

patspats

Postby patspats » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Tekrul wrote:On the other hand, if this is simply a result of 1) the certainty of your past job vs. the uncertainty of legal employment in the future and 2) the difficulty of schoolwork, I'd say you should stick to moving forwards and not backwards. The promise of a job if law school doesn't work out isn't doing you any good in this respect. Imo, it's tying you down.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I think the fact that I have a promise of a job in the past is really what is pushing me down.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm

If you liked your old job, why did you leave?

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 am

You're working to be a professional. A lawyer. It's not trivial. A licensed lawyer can obtain court action to compel the government to act. We're goddamn government herders. Even the poorest lawyer can change the world, given the right case. You have state-sanctioned authority to marshal the courts and compel other citizens to yield or act. You can force the unwilling transfer of assets. All of this done right, with the swoop of your pen, is fun as hell and touches justice. And none of it occurs until you've completed law school. So finish up bro or sister - law school opens the door, but the real fun begins inside.

Postby 2807 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

"I don't want to climb the mountain, I just want to stand on top" ??
Quitting now, for your self-serving apathetic reason has nothing to do with law and everything to do with you.

You will quit that job too. I guarantee it.
Quitters quit.
Know this, and avoid being one.

You are at that stage where all the fun ended. All that LSAT and applying, and the identity you had as an aspiring law student...
oh, you were so fancy.... And, now.... well.... now it is actually HARD, DOG EAT DOG, work! ... and the fun is over...
Yep.
Thats it.
And..... you want to quit.
Wimp.

Just get back to class. Your future will thank you.
Look at it like small 16 week bursts of boot-camp.
Work HARD.
THIS IS YOUR JOB NOW... and you want to quit...?
I sense a pattern...
STOP IT

When did it become acceptable to quit becasue "Im sad" "Im over it" "Im bored" ?

WTF? Who in your life has validated this behavior in you ??

STOP THIS NONSENSE AND GET BACK TO PARADISE.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FORTUNATE YOU ARE.
Don't make dumb decisions and find out the hard way.

Stop this.

Onward !

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Nah.
Duck it.
No one here needs more competition.
Follow your inner voice and call it a day.

It's A Lion

Postby It's A Lion » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 pm

patspats wrote:
Tekrul wrote:You'll get to add the esq. suffix to your name.

I'm not sure. I am out of motivation to read and have always really enjoyed working. I guess I'm feeling this way because I feel like i've spent so much time "investing in my future" and working hard that I'm tired of being a student and ready to work.

(I only worked briefly at my previous job, off year job, but they told me they would be happy to have me back if law school didn't work out)

Why did you decide to attend law school?

If you stay in school and land an associateship, you'll likely have boat loads of work to enjoy for the foreseeable future...

macbookfan

Postby macbookfan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uLuAEaI ... 3CFB84DA4F

DONT U DARE QUIT! People have invested too much into you to see you fail and fall limp like a little bitch. Trust me, I've been there before and its not worth the pain of quitting just to escape the pain of responsibility. You need to realize, your life aint gonna magically get better if you quit. In fact it will get far far worse and you will regret this decision for the rest of your goddamn life.

You have no business even thinking of quitting. Get back to the studying, and HUNGER for the top spot. Dont give up your destiny

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”