Do most people hate law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
patogordo

Re: Do most people hate law school?

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
patogordo wrote:also my impression of BSF was that it would be a great place to work much in the way that i imagine Jonestown was a tropical paradise

Being in the office Friday at 11 PM probably is never fun, but clearing $500k at 32 probably helps.

Also, obviously not everyone gets the chance to turn down them $$$ for dat preftige--just a general comment that law students will forever be ranking-obsessed, sometimes to their detriment.

Although if Cravath is your only offer, it seems like you'd have to be particularly unlucky with a particularly aggressive bidlist.

1.) i don't think most people are making those kinds of megabuxxx bonuses at BSF unless they're bringing in business (though they do make quite a bit more than your standard lockstep biglaw firm)
2.) i wasn't talking about hours. i mean i literally felt like i was interviewing for a cult and everyone might commit mass suicide any moment.

which is just to say that firm culture/fit matters a lot

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm speaking from personal experience when I say that OCI can be an unpredictable beast. Until you've gone through it, reserve your judgments.

I fully agree re unpredictability. Saying something is unlikely doesn't mean I'm saying it's impossible.

patogordo wrote:1.) i don't think most people are making those kinds of megabuxxx bonuses at BSF unless they're bringing in business (though they do make quite a bit more than your standard lockstep biglaw firm)
2.) i wasn't talking about hours. i mean i literally felt like i was interviewing for a cult and everyone might commit mass suicide any moment.

which is just to say that firm culture/fit matters a lot

1. No, most aren't bringing in $250k+ bonuses, but the average associate is probably beating Cravath by $60k or so. Seems cr if you're going to work 2300-2400 anyway.
2. I've heard the culture can be sort of off-putting. But I dunno, I've never met the guys. Of course fit matters. I wouldn't advise anyone to go somewhere they think they'd hate.

My general point is less that BSF is super-awesome and more that way too much weight is putting on Vault rankings when it barely correlates to "firms that give associates things they want."

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:56 pm

the V8 thing was just K&E trolling. but i generally agree with your premise. though honestly i don't think most tlsers care about vault rankings that much when it comes to making decisions about where to work. maybe i'm missing it but i rarely see someone like "man i really liked my CB at milbank but i'm afraid i'm screwed if i don't take at least a V20. that sentiment seems to come almost exclusively from: (a) 0L's asking dumb questions about hypothetical "exit options" at different ranked firms and (b) people trying to brag about their jobs.

wiz

Postby wiz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm

I didn't even think about Kirkland or Latham when I wrote that. V8 sounds cooler than V5 to me. But I do think there is a lot of (b) people trying to brag about their jobs out there.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:08 pm

1L sucks because its yoru first year, you are forced to take classes with the same people, you are learning how to do this, and you know that 1L grades are super important. Plus you know you have 2 full years left

2L sucks because you still have this year and next, you overextend yourself with work, journals, moot court. grades matter less, but you don't want to total 2lol all the way until you get a 2L summer job ( and then you may get yourself totally worried that you will get no offered). But at least you can figure out a way to make the bull of class less of a pain.

3L sucks because at this time, you are pot committed to finishing and it would be foolish to drop out ( unless you got a super awesome offer and would be a fool not to take it on the spot) now. You have less than 1 year left, but you have the joys of studying for a bar exam, getting a job, (re)entering into the adult world, and paying off those debts. You also realize that if you fail the bar, you will not have a job, and have to scramble to pay those loans and decide whether to continue with another bar attempt, or go in another direction ( which is frightening/ maddening as hell . Classes aren't that bad, but they are so very pointless, you'd rather get a root canal every day than put up with some hypothetical bull shit from a gunner, or obnoxious professor

but it is a necessary evil to become a lawyer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”