Apply for Diversity Positions with Mediocre Grades? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sunnydayes

New

Apply for Diversity Positions with Mediocre Grades?

Post by sunnydayes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 pm

With 1L Fall grades finally in, can I get some input on applying to 1L summer positions with a 3.1 GPA at a Top 20 school? (B, B, B+)

I notice there are a lot of threads with students with particularly high or low GPAs--what about mediocre? There are a lot of diversity opportunities being sent out...is there even a point for me to apply for them?

Thanks for the input!

sublime

Diamond

Re: Apply for Diversity Positions with Mediocre Grades?

Post by sublime » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 pm

May as well apply

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:12 am

You have literally nothing to lose.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 am

sunnydayes wrote:With 1L Fall grades finally in, can I get some input on applying to 1L summer positions with a 3.1 GPA at a Top 20 school? (B, B, B+)

I notice there are a lot of threads with students with particularly high or low GPAs--what about mediocre? There are a lot of diversity opportunities being sent out...is there even a point for me to apply for them?

Thanks for the input!
Why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm going to apply to whatever I can. I have no positive expectations, but like everyone else said, there's nothing to lose except some time and effort (which you should be spending on the job hunt in general anyway). I'd do the same even if I was at the absolute bottom. Why not? Don't rely solely on the diversity programs, obviously, but apply to and hustle for every opportunity you possibly can.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Go for it.

As my professor said during class, "Unless you're number 1 at Harvard, and on the Harvard Law Review, apply to all the positions you want."

You just never know how your application will be reviewed.

They may see a medianish GPA and toss it aside. They may look at the GPA, but then notice something else on your resume that peaks their interest, and then call for an interview.

You may get no interviews. You may get a ton of interviews and no offers. You may get some interviews and no offers. You may get a ton of interviews and a ton of offers. Hell, you may get one interview, and one offer.

The theme, however, is to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”