Disclosing Grades? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
arklaw13

Gold

Re: Disclosing Grades?

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am

Black Hat wrote:I think it is annoying that people wont share their grades. However, I realize I am a clear minority in this regard.

I wish everyone, with their grades, and class rank, was posted outside of the registrar. Then we would not have to wonder who is on top, or bottom. And all the awkwardness that curiosity brings would be moot!

It is natural to be curious about how you stack up against certain people.

IMO!
They already post top grade awards at most schools. So people don't know my GPA, but they know I booked two classes so they know where I'm at in the class. Kind of unfair that the people at the top lose their anonymity.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am

Black Hat wrote:I think it is annoying that people wont share their grades. However, I realize I am a clear minority in this regard.

I wish everyone, with their grades, and class rank, was posted outside of the registrar. Then we would not have to wonder who is on top, or bottom. And all the awkwardness that curiosity brings would be moot!

It is natural to be curious about how you stack up against certain people.

IMO!
They already post top grade awards at most schools. So people don't know my GPA, but they know I booked two classes so they know where I'm at in the class. Kind of unfair that the people at the top lose their anonymity.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am

I hate everyone and everything.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:04 pm

I wish everyone, with their grades, and class rank, was posted outside of the registrar.
That would be a federal (and state) privacy violation if done by the registrar. In other words, against at the law.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I wish everyone, with their grades, and class rank, was posted outside of the registrar.
That would be a federal (and state) privacy violation if done by the registrar. In other words, against at the law.

I don't think you are on point here with this. They post the person who got the best grade in the class. Posting everyone's is along the same lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

I don't think you are on point here with this. They post the person who got the best grade in the class. Posting everyone's is along the same lines.
1) not all schools do the above, and posting who got the top grade is not the same as posting the actual grade
2) there's no good reason at all why you need to know what other people's grades are
3) Big Dog is correct that publishing people's educational records is a violation of privacy law

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

1) not all schools do the above, and posting who got the top grade is not the same as posting the actual grade
I mean my school usually posts the grade distribution for each class. So if bob gets the top grade award and the spreadsheet says one person received an A+ in that class, it's pretty much the same thing as saying Bob got an A+.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

arklaw13 wrote: I mean my school usually posts the grade distribution for each class. So if bob gets the top grade award and the spreadsheet says one person received an A+ in that class, it's pretty much the same thing as saying Bob got an A+.
Yea but everyone already knew Bob was a gunner...the real question is where everyone else fell in terms of the grade distribution.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:02 pm

KD35 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote: I mean my school usually posts the grade distribution for each class. So if bob gets the top grade award and the spreadsheet says one person received an A+ in that class, it's pretty much the same thing as saying Bob got an A+.
Yea but everyone already knew Bob was a gunner...the real question is where everyone else fell in terms of the grade distribution.
Not necessarily. They might have known he was a gunner, or he could have intentionally kept a low profile. Without the awards, they'd never know he was a gunner unless he wanted them to or didn't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:1) not all schools do the above, and posting who got the top grade is not the same as posting the actual grade
I mean my school usually posts the grade distribution for each class. So if bob gets the top grade award and the spreadsheet says one person received an A+ in that class, it's pretty much the same thing as saying Bob got an A+.
Yeah, in practice I get that's what it will probably mean (although I think if you get the top grade award everyone's going to assume it was an A/A+ anyway). But it's still not actually disclosing Bob's educational record. And frankly, I can't get too upset for people who get the top grade getting their grade publicized - it's the idea of publishing everyone's grades in all classes that I think is out of line.

In any case, I think the issue there is making the top-grade awards public, not so much publishing the grade that goes along with it. (My school didn't do this, so I can't speak to the actual fallout.)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 pm

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:1) not all schools do the above, and posting who got the top grade is not the same as posting the actual grade
Yeah, in practice I get that's what it will probably mean (although I think if you get the top grade award everyone's going to assume it was an A/A+ anyway). But it's still not actually disclosing Bob's educational record. And frankly, I can't get too upset for people who get the top grade getting their grade publicized - it's the idea of publishing everyone's grades in all classes that I think is out of line.

In any case, I think the issue there is making the top-grade awards public, not so much publishing the grade that goes along with it. (My school didn't do this, so I can't speak to the actual fallout.)
Yea see for every class (1L or not) at my school, the highest letter grade is published along with the median grade and the number of people that scored within the A range, B range, and C range (and D/F if someone just sucked). But the only one that you can really figure out is the top grade based on what is published and then CALI Awards

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”