Studying with a hornbook?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Virindi

Studying with a hornbook?

Postby Virindi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Any general advice on how to do this? I have hornbooks for Civ Pro, Contracts, and Crim Law and not really sure how I should be approaching this.

brotherdarkness

Re: Studying with a hornbook?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Read the relevant sections corresponding to your syllabus. Reflect upon the material you've read, digest it, use it.

TL;DR: Read them like a book.

Virindi

Postby Virindi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Read them?

That's really not helpful, Captain Obvious. What should I be focusing on and taking notes on while I'm reading them?

For instance, when studying with supplements (using Torts as an example) I would read the section that mirrored the teacher's casebook assignment and write down any rules. Then I'd look through for any exceptions and ambiguity and write this all down in my outline under the proper heading, and then do all the hypos at the end.

Virindi

Postby Virindi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 pm

stillwater wrote:Read the relevant sections corresponding to your syllabus. Reflect upon the material you've read, digest it, use it.

Right on. Probably just the same approach as E&E's then. Thanks. I'll probably update this thread in a week or so.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lockfast

Postby Lockfast » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Virindi wrote:
stillwater wrote:Read the relevant sections corresponding to your syllabus. Reflect upon the material you've read, digest it, use it.

Right on. Probably just the same approach as E&E's then. Thanks. I'll probably update this thread in a week or so.

Yeah, it's like a more convoluted E&E. I never touched hornbooks.. but stillwater's got the idea right. Good luck.

rambleon65

Postby rambleon65 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Use parol evidence rule for hornbooks.

Use hornbooks to supplement/clarify, but never contradict the professor (yes, it happens).

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd say don't touch them unless you don't think you're understanding a concept. The problem sometimes is that a hornbook may use slightly different terminology, or explain things in a different order than your professor taught, and come exam time your professor wants to see HIS / HER teaching, phrasing, etc. Your textbook, believe it or not, probably has all the answers you ever need to know. Also, a hornbook may bog you down with excessive details, and you risk losing the forest for the trees.

transfer57

Postby transfer57 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:58 am

Buy one hornbook per class, and use it as needed. But remember, your professor is the one grading your exam. Not Chemerinsky. You need to write the exam answers using the same words your professor would use, not what a horn-book would use. Use hornbooks solely to clarify issues arising after you've reviewed your notes. Professors test the rules they've taught to the class.

Bottom line? IT'S JANUARY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT YET.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 pm

First thing I would figure out is whether your exam will be word-limited. If you have a low-ish word limit, I see no value in gaining a deeper understanding of the doctrine with a hornbook. Two of my exams had low word limits and there was not enough space to go down the rabbit hole. It was more like pointing out that there was a hole and giving the cliff notes version of what you would find down there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”