Question about GPA and Rank

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sasquatch90

Question about GPA and Rank

Postby Sasquatch90 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 am

Had a question as a 1L. I got three of my grades back so far and was ecstatic to get two A+'s and one A-.

It looks like my school rewards only a handful of A+'s per class and was honored to not only get one of them but two of them. However, my school using qual points considers an A and an A+ grade a 4.0. The median at my school is a 3.3 and was wondering if the A+'s, despite being the same in terms of GPA points as an A, would do anything to help me in the ranking at the end of the year or is it more as just a feather in my hat?

Thank you again for the help and I am in no way complaining, I have been on cloud nine since getting these grades and was genuinely curious. There was no where on the school's website that could help me and I didn't want to ask a friend without seeming like a douche.

History_Buff

Re: Question about GPA and Rank

Postby History_Buff » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 am

I imagine you'll be getting CALI awards. Congrats. I think that's the biggest thing. As for determining class rank I don't really know. I imagine it does.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 am

Sasquatch90 wrote:Had a question as a 1L. I got three of my grades back so far and was ecstatic to get two A+'s and one A-.

It looks like my school rewards only a handful of A+'s per class and was honored to not only get one of them but two of them. However, my school using qual points considers an A and an A+ grade a 4.0. The median at my school is a 3.3 and was wondering if the A+'s, despite being the same in terms of GPA points as an A, would do anything to help me in the ranking at the end of the year or is it more as just a feather in my hat?

Thank you again for the help and I am in no way complaining, I have been on cloud nine since getting these grades and was genuinely curious. There was no where on the school's website that could help me and I didn't want to ask a friend without seeming like a douche.

Why don't you ask someone that works at your school?

Sasquatch90

Postby Sasquatch90 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 am

Thank you sir.

I will email tomorrow, do you think the registrar office would be the correct office to get in touch with?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 am

History_Buff wrote:I imagine you'll be getting CALI awards. Congrats. I think that's the biggest thing. As for determining class rank I don't really know. I imagine it does.

Do any reputable schools give out CALI awards, or is it just a thing TTTs do to make their students feel good about themselves?

edit: of the T14, only Georgetown hands out CALIs. Nuff Said

Sasquatch90

Postby Sasquatch90 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 am

guano wrote:
History_Buff wrote:I imagine you'll be getting CALI awards. Congrats. I think that's the biggest thing. As for determining class rank I don't really know. I imagine it does.

Do any reputable schools give out CALI awards, or is it just a thing TTTs do to make their students feel good about themselves?

edit: of the T14, only Georgetown hands out CALIs. Nuff Said

I go to a T50 (not sure if they give out a CALI award or if you consider it reputable) and not sure what they are until I just googled it.

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 am

Ignore guano. He is forum dead weight. You'll be better off for it.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Might not be Cali awards, might be book (aka jurisprudence, or other names for top grade in class) awards.

Just call your registrars office and ask what the +s signify, if anything, they'll tell you.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm

Sasquatch90 wrote:Had a question as a 1L. I got three of my grades back so far and was ecstatic to get two A+'s and one A-.

Oh and congrats, looks like you figured out the game........

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Yeah feel free to drop some knowledge on why you think you dominated. Congrats!

Sasquatch90

Postby Sasquatch90 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. Will call tomorrow to get this all sorted out and report back.

I feel like I just optimized my time efficiently. I was in no way the hardest worker, best note taker or the best student. But I always did my work, went to class yet I didn't do an outline until a few days before each test. Going over past exams and talking over the materials with a few friends for a couple hours during finals week was the best way I synthesized the material and the best prep for me. Hope everyone else had a successful exam period.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:16 am

Georgetown is not the only T14 that gives out CALIs. Cornell does as well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”