Quitting Law School.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Quitting Law School.

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Idk he/she said psychiatric/health issues that became worse. Seems like an ongoing thing. Also, seems possible that it's legitimate and the grades were affected because of that. Absolutely no grounds for one to say its BS and the fault is their intellectual incompetence.

Stress from law school is not something one can cite as a reason for getting bad grades. We are ALL stressed!

Granted, if there is a genuine mental disease here then Ill support what some of you are saying. However, it is probably just stress from law school.

Retake

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Idk he/she said psychiatric/health issues that became worse. Seems like an ongoing thing. Also, seems possible that it's legitimate and the grades were affected because of that. Absolutely no grounds for one to say its BS and the fault is their intellectual incompetence.

Stress from law school is not something one can cite as a reason for getting bad grades. We are ALL stressed!

Granted, if there is a genuine mental disease here then Ill support what some of you are saying. However, it is probably just stress from law school.

He says, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. The OP never said his problem was "stress from law school."

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

He says, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. The OP never said his problem was "stress from law school."

I would be willing to bet it is. This is not the first person that would have cloaked their inability to handle stress under a banner of "mental disease."

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

You're a tremendous know-nothing douche. Fuck you very much.

rogers

Postby rogers » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Danger Zone wrote:You're a tremendous know-nothing douche. Fuck you very much.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Ah yes, the person who resorts to school yard insults. Okay you win.

leavingalabubba

Postby leavingalabubba » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Last edited by leavingalabubba on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Black Hat wrote:

Ah yes, the person who resorts to school yard insults. Okay you win.

Retake

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Black Hat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

I would be willing to bet it is. This is not the first person that would have cloaked their inability to handle stress under a banner of "mental disease."

Again, you have absolutely no evidence at all to say the OP is doing this (putting aside your inability to understand how mental health works and clear disdain for those dealing with mental illness). But go on making assumptions, I'm sure that will stand you good stead in your future career.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Black Hat wrote:Ah yes, the person who resorts to school yard insults. Okay you win.

(complains about school yard insults)

(calls people "bad at law")

It's A Lion

Postby It's A Lion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Ah yes, the person who resorts to school yard insults. Okay you win.

(complains about school yard insults)

(calls people "bad at law")

Seriously, call Kenny Loggins, 'cuz you're in the DANGER ZONE!

jhkim0319

Postby jhkim0319 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:07 am

Black Hat. I can't believe I'm even responding to your ignorant bullshit, but I just can't help it. You think you're being straightforward and "bluntly honest" but you're not. You're offending people who are going through more serious problem than crying about "stress from law school."

First of all, I never said I'm blaming my grades solely on "psychiatric and health issues." In fact, I admit that there's a good chance I never would have received top grades anyway because of my "inability," or whatever you call it. I am not even sure that I would have been bove median because, like you said, I may be one of the people who are just not cut ouf for law school. But you're a rude piece of shit because you're assuming that I'm a loser who gets poor grades and tries to blame it on "stress."

I had what's called eczema atophy since I was a child. I took a year off after college to completely get rid of it. I tried just about every treatment but doctors didn't have a complete solution other than putting on steroids, which was only a temporary solution. But I couldn't stay at home forever because of eczema, so I went to law school as I planned. In the middle of the semester, it got much worse. At one point, my skin was basically burning and itching 24/7 to the point that I barely slept more than 3 hours a day. The law school won't let me get a refund because the refund period was over, and my medical issue wasn't a valid reason. And if you dumb fuck think everyone who is dealing with "psychiatric issue" is crying aout stress from law school, you're not only being ignorant, but disrespectful of the people who suffer from clinical mental disorder. I was diagnosed and treated with bipolar and major depressive disorder when I was an undergraduate. I used to take medications and still try hard every single day so that the symptoms don't appear agin. But lack of sleep during law school did just enough. So I spent a lot of time, money, and efforts to get better before the finals, and luckily my symptoms got better because very good doctors and I worked hard at it.

But again, I didn't get good grades because (1) I wasn't one of the smartest grou of people in my class, and (2) these conditions only made things worse. But you're dumb enough to thinkn that I'm crying about bad grades because I used to get all A's and now I'm just realizing that I'm not smart enough for law school. I never got all A's when I was an undergraduate, and I didn't think I would get all A's in law school. I simply left this because there are some people in TLs who may have useful information/opinion that may help in making my decision. Dumbass like you shouldn't make ignorant assumptions about other people's lives and be insulting.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 am

jhkim0319 wrote:Black Hat. I can't believe I'm even responding to your ignorant bullshit, but I just can't help it. You think you're being straightforward and "bluntly honest" but you're not. You're offending people who are going through more serious problem than crying about "stress from law school."

First of all, I never said I'm blaming my grades solely on "psychiatric and health issues." In fact, I admit that there's a good chance I never would have received top grades anyway because of my "inability," or whatever you call it. I am not even sure that I would have been bove median because, like you said, I may be one of the people who are just not cut ouf for law school. But you're a rude piece of shit because you're assuming that I'm a loser who gets poor grades and tries to blame it on "stress."

I had what's called eczema atophy since I was a child. I took a year off after college to completely get rid of it. I tried just about every treatment but doctors didn't have a complete solution other than putting on steroids, which was only a temporary solution. But I couldn't stay at home forever because of eczema, so I went to law school as I planned. In the middle of the semester, it got much worse. At one point, my skin was basically burning and itching 24/7 to the point that I barely slept more than 3 hours a day. The law school won't let me get a refund because the refund period was over, and my medical issue wasn't a valid reason. And if you dumb fuck think everyone who is dealing with "psychiatric issue" is crying aout stress from law school, you're not only being ignorant, but disrespectful of the people who suffer from clinical mental disorder. I was diagnosed and treated with bipolar and major depressive disorder when I was an undergraduate. I used to take medications and still try hard every single day so that the symptoms don't appear agin. But lack of sleep during law school did just enough. So I spent a lot of time, money, and efforts to get better before the finals, and luckily my symptoms got better because very good doctors and I worked hard at it.

But again, I didn't get good grades because (1) I wasn't one of the smartest grou of people in my class, and (2) these conditions only made things worse. But you're dumb enough to thinkn that I'm crying about bad grades because I used to get all A's and now I'm just realizing that I'm not smart enough for law school. I never got all A's when I was an undergraduate, and I didn't think I would get all A's in law school. I simply left this because there are some people in TLs who may have useful information/opinion that may help in making my decision. Dumbass like you shouldn't make ignorant assumptions about other people's lives and be insulting.

Firstly, it is spelled "Atopic dermatitis (eczema), [and it is] an itchy inflammation of your skin."

I had a girlfriend who had this, and it can be agitated (irritated) by copious amounts of stress. It is completely manageable however, and usually NOT debilitating.

Secondly, "I was diagnosed and treated with bipolar and major depressive disorder when I was an undergraduate." Bipolar disorder, also call manic depressive disorder, can formulate and dissolve throughout ones life and it can be treated. It is agitated by stress as well. My present girlfriend was diagnosed with it and she doesn't take any medication at all. Granted she has psychotic mood swings sometimes, she still manages to get A's in undergrad.

Lastly, YOU forced me to jump to conclusions because your initial post wasn't detailed enough. You blamed a condition but didn't actually mention what it was, forcing me to make assumptions.

These two conditions shouldn't hinder one from getting good grades. They are an excuse however, but a lame one.

All I was stressing from the get go was personal accountability. Because it seems to be the "go to" thing to blame something, or someone, for bad grades, and not actually own it and say "you know this was probably my fault, lets fix it." I was simply addressing the more likely culprit, and I was chastised for it.

So yeah, I was wrong in saying that you were 'completely' whining about stress. But correct in intimating that your symptoms were likely worsened by an inability to cope with it better. And I'd be willing to bet that if you hung around for another semester it would be a lot easier because the stress isn't so bad second semester as it was first. Meaning your symptoms will likely be less severe.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:59 am

Black Hat wrote:
jhkim0319 wrote:Black Hat. I can't believe I'm even responding to your ignorant bullshit, but I just can't help it. You think you're being straightforward and "bluntly honest" but you're not. You're offending people who are going through more serious problem than crying about "stress from law school."

Firstly, it is spelled "Atopic dermatitis (eczema), [and it is] an itchy inflammation of your skin."

I had a girlfriend who had this, and it can be agitated (irritated) by copious amounts of stress. It is completely manageable however, and usually NOT debilitating.

Secondly, "I was diagnosed and treated with bipolar and major depressive disorder when I was an undergraduate." Bipolar disorder, also call manic depressive disorder, can formulate and dissolve throughout ones life and it can be treated. It is agitated by stress as well. My present girlfriend was diagnosed with it and she doesn't take any medication at all. Granted she has psychotic mood swings sometimes, she still manages to get A's in undergrad.

Lastly, YOU forced me to jump to conclusions because your initial post wasn't detailed enough. You blamed a condition but didn't actually mention what it was, forcing me to make assumptions.

These two conditions shouldn't hinder one from getting good grades. They are an excuse however, but a lame one.

All I was stressing from the get go was personal accountability. Because it seems to be the "go to" thing to blame something, or someone, for bad grades, and not actually own it and say "you know this was probably my fault, lets fix it." I was simply addressing the more likely culprit, and I was chastised for it.

So yeah, I was wrong in saying that you were 'completely' whining about stress. But correct in intimating that your symptoms were likely worsened by an inability to cope with it better. And I'd be willing to bet that if you hung around for another semester it would be a lot easier because the stress isn't so bad second semester as it was first. Meaning your symptoms will likely be less severe.

TIL there is no such thing as varying degrees of the same medical condition

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 am

Black Hat wrote:

Wow, with this sort of medical expertise I'm surprised you're not at Harvard med instead of the University of Civil War Agitators Skool of Law.

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:14 am

Black Hat wrote:YOU forced me to jump to conclusions because your initial post wasn't detailed enough. You blamed a condition but didn't actually mention what it was, forcing me to make assumptions.

Black Hat wrote: All I was stressing from the get go was personal accountability.

:lol:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 am

Black Hat wrote:Firstly, it is spelled "Atopic dermatitis (eczema), [and it is] an itchy inflammation of your skin."

Black Hat, this is completely unacceptable.

First, there is absolutely NOTHING about what the OP posted that "forc[ed you] to make assumptions." That's entirely on you. There is no TLS Rules of Civ Pro mandating a presumption that the OP is a slacker until proven otherwise. That came from you, and establishes you as a person fundamentally lacking in human compassion. It's also something entirely made up in your own head that the "more likely culprit" is that the OP was lacking in personal accountability who can't handle the stress of law school.

Second, no OP should have to reveal personal information about themselves to counter your assumptions.

Third, your dismissal of OP's medical issues is breathtakingly arrogant, as well as simply ignorant. Atophy is a medical term meaning extreme reaction to allergens. Just because you happen to know someone with excema and with bipolar doesn't mean you know the OP's medical conditions. Unless, of course, you are a magical medical man who can diagnose people better than their own doctors do based on a few words on an internet forum. And of course those conditions are exacerbated by stress. If you want to argue that there is no stress at all in law school and therefore anyone who experiences any kind of stress simply can't handle law school, you're imposing some kind of wildly unrealistic standard for success and failure in law school.

Saying that these conditions are a lame excuse and shouldn't hinder the OP from getting good grades dismisses everything that the OP has experienced and puts the blame back on them. I'm not sure why you feel the need to do this. Does it make you feel better? Stronger? The one voice of responsibility in a sea of whiners? Because to me it just makes you look like an asshole. Don't do it again.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Black Hat wrote:

WOW, as everyone else has suggested here, you are a terrible person - worse than previously understood. I doubt you even served.

Also, retake.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: If you want to argue that there is no stress at all in law school and therefore anyone who experiences any kind of stress simply can't handle law school, you're imposing some kind of wildly unrealistic standard for success and failure in law school.

This is absolutely not what I said, meant.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Can you ban this fuck now?

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Putting aside your inability to understand how mental health works and clear disdain for those dealing with mental illness.

And you have no way of knowing just to what extent I understand mental disease. For all you know I am a MD.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:Can you ban this fuck now?

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Ostracizing those who disagree with you. Wow, that is fascism at its best. Guess this isn't the U.S we're living in.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Black Hat wrote:

Ostracizing those who disagree with you. Wow, that is fascism at its best. Guess this isn't the U.S we're living in.

Lol. This sounds like my trolling.

leavingalabubba

Postby leavingalabubba » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:13 pm

This is the meanest thing I've done all week.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/south-carolina-law.html

Edit: Also probably the most fascist

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”