Quitting Law School.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Quitting Law School.

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 am

jbagelboy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
LexLeon wrote:Brother or sister,

Your grades aren't so poor. All A's and a B+ or two next semester might put you somewhere in the top third of your class. You could do that and you could graduate with honors.

That said, if you truly and deeply feel law is not right for you--after abstracting from what you've taken to be a permanent demerit, your first semester grades, and after deeply thinking and meditating or praying over some time--the fact that you can pull your grades up and graduate with honors is irrelevant.

Follow your heart; but don't be deceived by your mind regarding the grades.

http://hlrecord.org/?p=452

This post is bad and you should feel bad.

This is why friends dont let friends drunk post.. Or high as balls post more likely

It's a molly post, without a doubt.

"Bro, just get a 4.0 next semester! You can do that if you pick yourself up by your bootstraps! And then you'll have a 3.4 coming out of USC and that my friend is a PATH TO RICHES!"

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:23 am

Your grades aren't so poor. All A's and a B+ or two next semester might put you somewhere in the top third of your class. You could do that and you could graduate with honors.

That said, if you truly and deeply feel law is not right for you--after abstracting from what you've taken to be a permanent demerit, your first semester grades, and after deeply thinking and meditating or praying over some time--the fact that you can pull your grades up and graduate with honors is irrelevant.

Bravo!!

Epic flame!

...this is a flame, right?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:12 am

LexLeon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I'm really surprised that your reasoning could be so poor. You should read my post again.

You, Thesealocust, advised:

"Good hustle. No shame. Dropping out now will be the best thing you can do for the future."

Giving categorical advice, to someone whose inner situation you hardly know, is more ignorant than you seem to comprehend. You have no idea what the "best thing" for Jhkim0319's future is.

Jhkim0319 might do well to complete another semester--even if the decision to go to law school was mistake to begin with, or even if (s)he will eventually drop out.

You might be leading Jhkim0319 to make an even worse mistake, by phrasing your ignorant advice with such confidence.

Compare our posts, Thesealocust, compare our posts.

Holy shit :lol:

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 am

Danger Zone wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I'm really surprised that your reasoning could be so poor. You should read my post again.

You, Thesealocust, advised:

"Good hustle. No shame. Dropping out now will be the best thing you can do for the future."

Giving categorical advice, to someone whose inner situation you hardly know, is more ignorant than you seem to comprehend. You have no idea what the "best thing" for Jhkim0319's future is.

Jhkim0319 might do well to complete another semester--even if the decision to go to law school was mistake to begin with, or even if (s)he will eventually drop out.

You might be leading Jhkim0319 to make an even worse mistake, by phrasing your ignorant advice with such confidence.

Compare our posts, Thesealocust, compare our posts.

Holy shit :lol:

If any of you disagree with my post(s), voice your grounds for disagreement.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 am

I disagree because you wantonly ignored something they made clear from the start: they don't like law school. The entire basis of your argument is that if they really love it, they should stick with it. That could be true if it applied to the OP, but it doesn't. Don't peddle some "follow your heart, don't listen to haters" trite BS when it's irrelevant.

You fail.

As a side note, you are a pretty good former troll who seemed to disappear. TLS was better off during your sabbatical. Please reconsider the comeback tour.

Edit: you did acknowledge that they hate law school, then wantonly ignored it. My point still stands.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 am

LexLeon wrote:If any of you disagree with my post(s), voice your grounds for disagreement.

You linked to that that ridiculous HLS Record article quoting all those eminent profs talking about their own bad grades - who went to law school 20-40 years ago at top schools and obviously did well for themselves or they wouldn't be eminent profs AT HARVARD. That itself invalidates everything else you wrote.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 am

OP what else would you want to do?

I'm inclined to say you should drop out, but practicing law is not really like law school. A lot of people hate law school and like practicing. What is it about law school that makes you miserable?

And regardless, if you're having mental health issues (it happens to a lot of people in law school-no shame there) please talk to someone. Your school should have a counselor who has probably been through the same issue many times with students.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 am

jhkim0319 wrote:The poor grades come from many different factors, particularly psychiatric and health issues that became worse throughout the semester.

Classic, "not my fault excuse." No, the truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy, or inability, to understand the law as well as your peers.

It is possible you are just bad at this and you aren't cut out for it.

Have some personal accountability.

Drop out.
Last edited by Black Hat on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 am

Black Hat wrote:inadequacy at law

This can't be serious

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:25 am

Black Hat wrote:
jhkim0319 wrote:The poor grades come from many different factors, particularly psychiatric and health issues that became worse throughout the semester.

Classic, "not my fault excuse." No, the truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy at law compared to your peers.

Drop out.

This is entirely uncalled for.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:30 am

patogordo wrote:
Black Hat wrote:inadequacy at law

This can't be serious

No, the truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy, or inability, to understand the law as well as your peers.

I am assuming you were referring to the poor sentence structure, so I fixed it.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 am

Oh my

Are you a 1L?

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

Classic, "not my fault excuse." No, the truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy at law compared to your peers.

Drop out.

Personal accountability?

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:33 am

patogordo wrote:Oh my

Are you a 1L?

I don't think this is a relevant question. But, if you look through my previous posts you will find your answer.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 am

That's adorable

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

Drop out.

I didn't intend to be callous, but blunt. Sometimes the cold truth is what is needed.

Also, anytime I have asked for advice here I have received similar, brutal, honesty.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:37 am

The "cold truth" needs to actually be true, though.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:43 am

patogordo wrote:The "cold truth" needs to actually be true, though.

"The truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy, or inability, to understand the law as well as your peers."

If you'd argue with this statement and claim it isn't true I'd call you a retard.

The effects of the curve are well known.

What the OP needs to realize is although they have always been the best at everything throughout life, and smarter than their peers, doesn't mean that they will automatically do well in law school. Some people are just bad at certain things. Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last.

First semester is a reality check for many. The OP seems to be one of them.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

Black Hat wrote:
lawschool..amiright? wrote:Ok. I probably already know the answer to both of these questions, but after a semester in law school I've decided that it's never a bad idea to still ask.

Rankings just came out. I have a 3.26 and a class ranking in the top 25% for my first semester of law school.

I didn't realize that this GPA could put you in the top 25%. Our class ranks haven't been released yet, I have a 3.25 however. I was hoping for at least top half. So I have been worried that I wasn't there! This makes me feel a little better though!

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 am

Black Hat wrote:
patogordo wrote:The "cold truth" needs to actually be true, though.

"The truth is the bad grades come from your inadequacy, or inability, to understand the law as well as your peers."

If you'd argue with this statement and claim it isn't true I'd call you a retard.

That statement isn't true.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

thesealocust wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
lawschool..amiright? wrote:Ok. I probably already know the answer to both of these questions, but after a semester in law school I've decided that it's never a bad idea to still ask.

Rankings just came out. I have a 3.26 and a class ranking in the top 25% for my first semester of law school.

I didn't realize that this GPA could put you in the top 25%. Our class ranks haven't been released yet, I have a 3.25 however. I was hoping for at least top half. So I have been worried that I wasn't there! This makes me feel a little better though!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Black Hat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

Drop out.

I didn't intend to be callous, but blunt. Sometimes the cold truth is what is needed.

Also, anytime I have asked for advice here I have received similar, brutal, honesty.

Brutal honesty = telling the OP s/he needs to drop out of school, not insulting them for not taking responsibility when you don't know their life.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm

would keep in mind that a JD is good for more than practicing law.

No it is not.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Idk he/she said psychiatric/health issues that became worse. Seems like an ongoing thing. Also, seems possible that it's legitimate and the grades were affected because of that. Absolutely no grounds for one to say its BS and the fault is their intellectual incompetence.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Tekrul wrote:Idk he/she said psychiatric/health issues that became worse. Seems like an ongoing thing. Also, seems possible that it's legitimate and the grades were affected because of that. Absolutely no grounds for one to say its BS and the fault is their intellectual incompetence.

Stress from law school is not something one can cite as a reason for getting bad grades. We are ALL stressed!

Granted, if there is a genuine mental disease here then Ill support what some of you are saying. However, it is probably just stress from law school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”