Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
BluePurgatory
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby BluePurgatory » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm

With grades coming in soon I was considering what would happen if I miraculously got a 4.0, and I was thinking if that happened I would probably take a few steps to improve my standard of living at the cost of taking out more loans. Obviously this is a bit risky, as it far from guarantees a prestigious job post-graduation, but I think your odds after a 4.0 first semester would be good enough to bet against. What do you guys think? Generally this is probably more pertinent to people who wouldn't self-identify as wealthy, but a wider perspective would probably be interesting.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby NYstate » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:24 pm

BluePurgatory wrote:With grades coming in soon I was considering what would happen if I miraculously got a 4.0, and I was thinking if that happened I would probably take a few steps to improve my standard of living at the cost of taking out more loans. Obviously this is a bit risky, as it far from guarantees a prestigious job post-graduation, but I think your odds after a 4.0 first semester would be good enough to bet against. What do you guys think? Generally this is probably more pertinent to people who wouldn't self-identify as wealthy, but a wider perspective would probably be interesting.


No. Borrow the least amount possible. You don't have a job yet and when you do have a job you will want to spend the least amount of time possible repaying. The TCR is to get a scholarship or transfer or threaten to transfer if you dont obtain a scholarship.

That said, it is highly unlikely you will get a 4.0 anyway.

And a 4.0 doesn't guarantee you a job anywhere. It just gets you in the door of the interview room for a 2L SA, which you then have to convert into a job.

dwyf
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby dwyf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Ahh, to be a 1L again. There is a magic time before you get your first round of grades when the world is still potentially your oyster.

Then you rock that 3.1, and all the sudden law review and a supreme court clerkship are out the window.

Savor it while you can.


That said - in the same way that going to hys may make you more comfortable with taking out a bit more money than you otherwise would, so should getting a 4.0.

dwyf
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby dwyf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm

NYstate wrote:
BluePurgatory wrote:With grades coming in soon I was considering what would happen if I miraculously got a 4.0, and I was thinking if that happened I would probably take a few steps to improve my standard of living at the cost of taking out more loans. Obviously this is a bit risky, as it far from guarantees a prestigious job post-graduation, but I think your odds after a 4.0 first semester would be good enough to bet against. What do you guys think? Generally this is probably more pertinent to people who wouldn't self-identify as wealthy, but a wider perspective would probably be interesting.


No. Borrow the least amount possible. You don't have a job yet and when you do have a job you will want to spend the least amount of time possible repaying. The TCR is to get a scholarship or transfer or threaten to transfer if you dont obtain a scholarship.

That said, it is highly unlikely you will get a 4.0 anyway.

And a 4.0 doesn't guarantee you a job anywhere. It just gets you in the door of the interview room for a 2L SA, which you then have to convert into a job.


Of course it doesn't guarantee a job. The piece about the 2L SA - it really depends on where you got your 4.0.

ETA: there are lots of other considerations, of course.

Are you planning on biglaw? Does your school have good safety nets for you (e.g. LRAP)?

You are still a person during law school. You can choose to balance debt aversion against enjoying yourself a bit. Staying within reason, your time in law school may well be the most free time you get in the next half century - so you might choose to enjoy yourself a bit.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 pm

BluePurgatory wrote:With grades coming in soon I was considering what would happen if I miraculously got a 4.0, and I was thinking if that happened I would probably take a few steps to improve my standard of living at the cost of taking out more loans. Obviously this is a bit risky, as it far from guarantees a prestigious job post-graduation, but I think your odds after a 4.0 first semester would be good enough to bet against. What do you guys think? Generally this is probably more pertinent to people who wouldn't self-identify as wealthy, but a wider perspective would probably be interesting.


Shit I did that with top 20% grades after first semester. Took out like 2k more loans and had a great time spring semester. Don't regret it.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Nah, it would probably make me try even harder to maintain it second semester though so I guess that is a lifestyle change.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby atcushman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 am

are we taking bets yet on what OP's actual gpa ends up being?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 am

If you get a 4.0, you will complain that you didn't get more A+'s. Nothing is ever enough for a law student.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 am

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mach9zero
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby mach9zero » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 pm

No, I definitely wouldn't. I'm not in law school yet, but I've been down graduating with a 4.0 route and found it's no gaurentee of a high paying job. Plus unforseen circumstances following semesters can take a 4.0 and drag it quickly into the gutter. I'd be happy as hell (alright I'd probably take a party night off :lol: ), but it means you've found a successful formula and should continue with it.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:If you get a 4.0, you will complain that you didn't get more A+'s. Nothing is ever enough for a law student.


So true. I have been chasing that A+ dragon.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm

DZ is credited here. Youll find something else to hate about yourself.

Dearly, your friend,

stillMFwater

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

This also counts if from some quirk of luck you get a 3.91 but end up #1 anyways because no one straight 4.0'd

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby rambleon65 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 am

Danger Zone wrote:If you get a 4.0, you will complain that you didn't get more A+'s. Nothing is ever enough for a law student.



This is SO true.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 am

Danger Zone wrote:If you get a 4.0, you will complain that you didn't get more A+'s. Nothing is ever enough for a law student.

brotherdarkness wrote:Unfortunately, this is true.

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:So true. I have been chasing that A+ dragon.

rambleon65 wrote:This is SO true.


Wow, this post was a douche magnet

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:55 am

My bad for providing an accurate insight into the law student mentality?

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 am

Danger Zone wrote:My bad for providing an accurate insight into the law student mentality?

I meant that your post was a douche magnet, not that you were a douche, if that was unclear

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Would a first semester 4.0 make you change your lifestyle?

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 am

Oh, gotcha. Thought you meant the OP was the magnet.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests