Patent Bar

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lhanvt13

Patent Bar

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 am

Hey guys, I'm a 1L thinking about taking the patent bar sometime soon before 2L OCI hits. I just had a few general questions.
Some background: Pat Bar eligible (CS); 1L

1) Which prep course/prep material do you guys recommend? I've been looking at PLI, PatBar, and Bullseye but apparently Bullseye is now outdated due to the recent changes(?)

2) Can somebody be prepared in 3~5 months?

3) Would studying a couple hours a day be too much since I'm a 1L?

I understand some of these questions have already been addressed but I couldn't really find a recent thread discussing prep material/courses from the new changes. If I'm just an idiot and there are threads available, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys.

Nelson

Re: Patent Bar

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 1L thinking about taking the patent bar sometime soon before 2L OCI hits. I just had a few general questions.

1) Which prep course/prep material do you guys recommend? I've been looking at PLI, PatBar, and Bullseye but apparently Bullseye is now outdated due to the recent changes(?)

I understand some of these questions have already been addressed but I couldn't really find a recent thread discussing prep material/courses from the new changes. If I'm just an idiot and there are threads available, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys.
Don't try to study for it during 1L. Being eligible will be enough for OCI (this may depend on your school). Take it after 1L, during a summer or another year. Your 1L grades are more important.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 am

Nelson wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 1L thinking about taking the patent bar sometime soon before 2L OCI hits. I just had a few general questions.

Thanks guys.
Don't try to study for it during 1L. Being eligible will be enough for OCI (this may depend on your school). Take it after 1L, during a summer or another year. Your 1L grades are more important.

I just keep hearing from professors and attorneys to take it before 1L summer. I guess that means I missed my chance to take it before 1L even started. Would I have enough time between the end of 1L and 2L OCI to prep and take the patent bar?

Edit: Forgot to add school - T30.

markdighton

Postby markdighton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

The majority of the law students taking our course are taking it the summer between 1L and 2L years. We recommend 200 hours over about 10 weeks (averaging 20 hours/week). If you have a job, it won't be easy to do over the summer, but there will probably never be a better time....
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLI

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Since straight CS has the dreaded asterisk next to it under Category A, have you already confirmed that your school's CS program was accredited by CSAB/ABET at the time you earned your degree? If not, and you have to apply under Category B, that might require a little more lead time since you'll have to track down old course catalogs to get course descriptions.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 am

ScottRiqui wrote:

Since straight CS has the dreaded asterisk next to it under Category A, have you already confirmed that your school's CS program was accredited by CSAB/ABET at the time you earned your degree? If not, and you have to apply under Category B, that might require a little more lead time since you'll have to track down old course catalogs to get course descriptions.

ABET accredited!
http://main.abet.org/aps/AccreditedProg ... tionID=144

markdighton wrote:The majority of the law students taking our course are taking it the summer between 1L and 2L years. We recommend 200 hours over about 10 weeks (averaging 20 hours/week). If you have a job, it won't be easy to do over the summer, but there will probably never be a better time....
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLI

Thanks for your input. Could you give me some selling points on PLI vs. the other courses/material? what would you say makes PLI better?

lbenavid

Postby lbenavid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 pm

I really would like to hear why PLI is worth it as well. Is PLI the only program with fully updated materials for the changes? All the old threads reference success with other programs but when I contacted omniprep for example, they didn't even reply to confirm that they really had the new materials. Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”