Tips for Trademark, Community Property, or Trust & Estates

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UnderrateOverachieve

Tips for Trademark, Community Property, or Trust & Estates

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:02 pm

As title indicates I would love any good advice on how to get the most bang for my buck in these classes.

Also, I am in California (as it pertains to Community Property).

I am not 100% on the different between W&T and T&E if anyone could explain.

Thanks, guys. Hope the New Year treats (most of) you well!

captainwasabi09

Re: Tips for Trademark, Community Property, or Trust & Estates

Postby captainwasabi09 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 pm

There's not much difference between wills and trusts and trusts and estates. A T&E class will cover both wills and trusts. I never took a W&T class but I know that T&E covers other forms of succession, such as intestate succession and forms of nonprobate succession besides trusts, like life insurance, etc.

In terms of getting bang for your buck, T&E is an interesting class in that property law is state by state, and there's a lot of common law but there are statutory provisions as well. Some uniform provisions are not as well-received by states as others. So, whenever you read assigned statutory provisions, in particular Uniform Trust Code or Uniform Probate Code provisions, make sure you pay attention as you go along about how many states have adopted that provision or something similar, and what the trend is. (For example, whether it's a minority position but is gaining more traction, or it's a majority position but states are moving away from it.) If you take note of this as you go along in the class, it will save you time when you're reviewing and trying to piece together the status of that provision among the states and where it might go.

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Tips for Trademark, Community Property, or Trust & Estates

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:There's not much difference between wills and trusts and trusts and estates. A T&E class will cover both wills and trusts. I never took a W&T class but I know that T&E covers other forms of succession, such as intestate succession and forms of nonprobate succession besides trusts, like life insurance, etc.

In terms of getting bang for your buck, T&E is an interesting class in that property law is state by state, and there's a lot of common law but there are statutory provisions as well. Some uniform provisions are not as well-received by states as others. So, whenever you read assigned statutory provisions, in particular Uniform Trust Code or Uniform Probate Code provisions, make sure you pay attention as you go along about how many states have adopted that provision or something similar, and what the trend is. (For example, whether it's a minority position but is gaining more traction, or it's a majority position but states are moving away from it.) If you take note of this as you go along in the class, it will save you time when you're reviewing and trying to piece together the status of that provision among the states and where it might go.

Thanks a bunch! I wish I had this tip when I originally took Crim. I spent at least half a day going back and finding trends and most versus some adopted law state to state.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”