Request for stories regarding law journal experiences Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Paul Campos

Silver

Request for stories regarding law journal experiences

Post by Paul Campos » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm

I've been looking into a couple of incidents involving the law review submission and publication process, and I'd like to hear from current law students and law graduates regarding dubious submission and publication practices. This could include everything from outright authorial fraud of various kinds, to submitting low-quality work that requires extensive editing to be transformed into something arguably worth publishing, to anything else you think would be noteworthy in the context of a piece discussing the dysfunctions of the law journal publishing system.

Please either PM me or send an email to paul.campos@colorado.edu

All responses will be kept in strict confidence. Thanks in advance.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Re: Request for stories regarding law journal experiences

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Paul Campos wrote:to submitting low-quality work that requires extensive editing to be transformed into something arguably worth publishing
This would probably apply to 90% of the submitted work.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:to submitting low-quality work that requires extensive editing to be transformed into something arguably worth publishing
Maybe more. Amost nothing submitted to my journal resembled "publication worthy" when we got it.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 pm

kalvano wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Maybe more. Amost nothing submitted to my journal resembled "publication worthy" when we got it.
I think he's referring to the quality of the writing, as opposed to the quality of the content

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 pm

guano wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
I think he's referring to the quality of the writing, as opposed to the quality of the content

I believe it was Fred Rodell who said there are two things wrong with most legal writing: one is the content, and the other is the style.

Anyway I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far, and look forward to getting more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:27 pm

guano wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
I meant both.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Amount of tangential footnotes being part of the criteria for accepting a submission. I think it is absolutely ridiculous. So much of the criteria is about whether or not, at face value, the article looks good.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 pm

This seems like an ethical request. You can't be serious.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Nelson wrote:This seems like an ethical request. You can't be serious.
...how?

Campos, I was annoyed by profs who cited their anecdotal stories as data. Also, profs who used cutesy footnotes referring to Dora the Explorer were not as amusing as they thought they were. Don't really remember any specifics now, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

owlofminerva

New

Post by owlofminerva » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

On my journal, we didn't see as many examples of professors writing with the thought that the law students would fill in the blanks. To be fair, an article that came to us with that level of disrespect was automatically rejected and we expected the author to have at least made a good-faith effort in their citations and so on before acceptance. That said, arguably the most annoying thing for me was the number of submissions received without any consideration of the journal's subject matter. Most authors appeared to just send their article to every journal under the sun without regard to the journal being about a specific subject like the environment, technology, legislation, etc. (obviously this doesn't apply to general law reviews). That required us to waste time reading things to see if there was a connection to the journal's subject area that could have easily been accomplished if the author spent the time to think more about what subject-specific journals fit with the article's content.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Journals: Students turn and look the other way for prestige.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks to everyone who has sent all sorts of eye-opening stuff along. If you've been thinking of doing so please contribute your own perspective on this topic.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Prof Campos : Please include the scholarship of the Deans of Indiana Tech which includes work so worthless than just describing should be sufficient. This low quality work passing for scholarship and how freaking spoiled and entitled the Deans are as evidenced by their publications has to be given some attention, at least a paragraph. (please)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”