Dating a Resident Doctor? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alicrimson

Silver

Re: Dating a Resident Doctor?

Post by alicrimson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:39 pm

carmensandiego wrote:
NYstate wrote:If you are seriously asking this question on a message board, I think you should drop him/ her. You can probably gun for a partner with more prestige than a resident. The personal qualities of who you date seem to not matter. Go for a person with a better job and richer parents.
Or just date someone who's not a lazy dickhead. I'm assuming you're a 20-something. Mostly everyone you're going to date now isn't "rich" but as long as they are driven and intelligent; they'll do alright for themselves. Or you could just go the sugar daddy route and date someone your parent's age.
Or, depending on where you are geographically, start looking for the start ups folks. I know several who are extremely wealthy and around the age of 25. Crazy busy schedules though.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Married to a doctor. Her schedule sucks, but the free pills are nice.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The only downside is the wife/gf sharing that goes in doctor circles. Are you prepared for that?
whoa this is a thing?? explain!
It's very common for Doctors to share wives and girl friends. It's a collegiality thing, aka "we are all doctors" thinking. You are considered rude and prude if you don't share. Just sex, not like poly amorous stuff.
lol, he's joking, peeps.

from my experience: being married to a doctor CAN be very difficult time-wise. if you're fine with that, then why not? if you are very concerned about time and availability, check what he'll be specializing in. if he will practice in radiology, oncology, dermatology, etc he will generally make a decent income and not have as hectic of a schedule.

ps. most doctors emerge from residency with 300-500k debt. if you seek someone who will be able to provide a nice income and not worry so much about debt, date a doctor who plans to work in private practice and in a profitable practice.

if you want a nicer quality of life AND someone who has more time than a successful surgeon or doctor would, my advice would be to consider dating guys with MBAs from top schools/already working.

sweetspot

New

Post by sweetspot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:31 am

Wow, you all suck. I hope I never meet any of you IRL. Seriously, dating someone for their income, career, etc? I bet you all are boring as bricks.

sweetspot

New

Post by sweetspot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:32 am

I would much rather date a working class chick who's down for some freaky shit, down to ride etc. than some stuck up bitch with a 6 figure salary. I know many of my female homies feel likewise. YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:36 am

sweetspot wrote:Wow, you all suck. I hope I never meet any of you IRL. Seriously, dating someone for their income, career, etc? I bet you all are boring as bricks.
such assumptions. it could also be possible we're from doctor families, and that's how we know the ins/outs.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 am

Belongs in the FA thread.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 am

If dermatologist, neurosurgeon, or anesthesiologist: no offer. They are all psychopaths and gunners; you will probably kill each other.

If ob/gyn, emergency, or cardiologist: no offer. You will never see each other until you retire at seventy and realize you have shared maybe two collective hours of your lives.

If pediatrician, psychiatrist, or family med: no offer. Unless you don't mind paying both your loans for the rest of your lives.

I guess that leaves oncologist, which is offer I guess if you don't mind constant depression and death defining your mealtime conversations from now until ever.
GLHF in any case.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 am

mr.hands wrote:He's trolling. Of course this isn't true.
(is named mr. hands)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am

sweetspot wrote:I would much rather date a working class chick who's down for some freaky shit, down to ride etc. than some stuck up bitch with a 6 figure salary. I know many of my female homies feel likewise. YMMV.
Whose alt are you?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 am

Why would a busy person prefer to date someone who isn't? Someone who chose a job with a more relaxed schedule will resent your gunnerishness. Also, why will you be so busy as a 2L/3L?

BigRob

Bronze

Post by BigRob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

It will be rough when she is a resident and you are a law student, but the strain will be temporary. You will have much more time when you begin to practice. At least at my firm, associates have a very good work-life balance. I know because my firm told me this last summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”